Location of system.xml on synology nas

Alex45
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

• 1 month later...
Alex45

Hi , just upgraded to dsm 7. Where is the new location of system.xml please ?

Happy2Play

Doesn't Dashboard Paths tell you the general location?

Alex45

Hi , i found , in dsm 7 

var/packages/EmbyServer/var/config/system.xml

But how i edit this file in putty ?

Alex45

I found how to edit in WinCSP but when i save the file it told me it's impossible , the owner is : emby and the group is : emby

I don't know what to do ?

kaj
1 hour ago, Alex45 said:

I found how to edit in WinCSP but when i save the file it told me it's impossible , the owner is : emby and the group is : emby

I don't know what to do ?

Give your user R/W permission for the EmbyServer folder....

• Like 1

Alex45

Hi , 

for Luke : I need to edit system.xml to add some line to let emby ignore french articles ( le la les un une) when i sort movie by name.

for kaj : I understand your answer , but i don't know how to give my user R/W permission for the EmbyServer folder

Alex45

So the best i think is to login with WinSCP with the user : emby and his password.

But i don't know how to find the password of the emby user....

kaj

You can SSH in as your admin user, then use the su command to change to the root user, then you can access the EmbyServer folder and either edit it directly, or change it's properties to give your normal user access. Either way, be careful...

Alex45

When i am in putty , i attemp to login with user : admin and my password , it said me access denied. I'm sure of my password is good.

I don't understand why ?

Alex45

hi , thanks for your answer kaj but the link you take to me is too complicated . I'm french and i don't understand the whole process explained in the link.

So for me , the most simple is to log in in WinSCP with the user emby and his password , but i don't know the emby password....

kaj

If you log into to your NAS, via SSH, with your normal admin user...then type:

sudo su -

Then enter your normal admin user password.

You should then see the prompt changes to 'root@servername'. This means you are now the superuser. Now you can access and change ANY folder or file on your system. Which is why you must be careful. Or else, you'll have to wait until Luke makes it more accessible.

Alex45

Hi , thanks kaj for  your answer . I follow your unstructions. Now in putty , i'm root , i navigate to var/packages/EmbyServer/var/config/. I now see the system.xml

Now , what to do to edit this file ?

kaj

You can either copy it to a location you can normally access, edit it with Notepad, then copy it back or use the "vi" editor (Google it for use and commands)

Alex45

Hi , i have successfully done the modication. Like kaj says , first connect with putty with your user and password , then sudo -i to obtain the root. Navigate to system.xml folder , 

change owner of the file with chown command.

Go to winscp navigate to system.xml , edit and save change.