Disabling subtitle extraction on the fly causes long start-up for playback for ASS/SSA files

ezzah

This is an issue concerning playing SSA/ASS subtitle files in the Emby Web app. I generally want to disable extraction on the fly because it takes too long for subtitles to appear and would prefer burning in since the hardware should be able to do it.

Issue: When the subtitle extraction is disabled, it can take up to a minute for playback to begin with ASS/SSA files on the web app. I have attached the playback log.

Specs:

CPU: Intel E-2288G

RAM: 32GB DDR4 ECC

SSD: 1.8TB NVMe RAID0

Network: 10Gbps down and 1Gbps up

Docker container

ffmpeg-transcode-f219e0da-8b1a-4bd0-8a7a-4d1b6824f866_1.txt

Hi, burning in subtitles is a very costly process, and it's normal that it may cause playback to take longer to start. In fact, the fastest transcoding speed you're getting in this log is 18 fps, which is not even fast enough to be playbable.

For best performance i would suggest external ssa/ass as you'll get the best of both worlds with that.

The soon to be released Emby Server 4.6 will also have updated vendor libraries which may bring some improvement as well.

ezzah

Ok thanks for clarifying. I just expected my hardware to be able to burn subtitles since it was possible on plex. I will wait for the next update to see if it improves.

Q-Droid

Nothing wrong with your hardware. A Coffee Lake Xeon with graphics? No, not at all. I would attribute this to software or even Docker. What is the host OS and have you considered trying a host installation of Emby instead of Docker? 

As Luke stated above it looks like the next release will bring overall improvements including updates to ffmpeg and libs.

• 3 weeks later...
ezzah

I haven't tried installing on host installation (less convenient then having multiple microservices in docker) although if normal transcode is happening fine and only SSA/ASS has issues I doubt it's a docker implementation problem, but who knows.

Just updated to 4.6 and QSV doesn't seem able to burn-in at all for ASS/SSA (subtitle extraction off) just gives me a playback error from the Emby Web app. I will drop some logs soon when I have some more time.

Edited by ezzah

I will drop some logs soon when I have some more time.

Hi, yes please do. Thanks.