External connection

herstl22

Actually the two are not the same thing. EMBY Connect is different from the community and the accounts you set up inside EMBY, while this Forum is on another site as well.. The only two things that are connected would be the EMBY Connect account and the Account on your EMBY server.

The features you keep mentioning in Plex and EMBY.. You should go through the settings as Admin and set things up.. each devices you sign in with will also need setup.. even within the same account as users have multiple devices. All this should take is proper setup.

Yes, they are two different platforms and do authentication quite differently.  With Plex you have no choice but to authenticate against their cloud servers (users belong to Plex) and never against your own server (no passwords or anything on the server).

In Emby there is no mandated central cloud authentication and only local authentication on the server.  That requires logging in directly to the Emby Server. HOWEVER, Emby has a slick function that allows you the server admin to connect an Emby Connect account (same as a forum account) to a user on your system.

So through Emby connect it can put the person who has already authenticated on your server via trust delegation which works very similar to logging into other websites with a Google or Microsoft account. But it's strictly optional and the Emby admin has complete control over this.

herstl22

I tried to sign up but I get always back to the community

Edited by herstl22

Okay so what you would need to do now is go to your server and connect your account in EMBY Server to the email address you use to log in to the forum.. You have to enable the feature for the user.. and it will use the same credentials.

25 minutes ago, herstl22 said:

I tried to sign up but I get always back to the community

So to make this simple "herstl22" is your Emby Connect login name. Your Emby Connect password is the same as you used to login here (one and the same).

You then type in this EC username in the optional field on this form
CPVAqeg6vPjV64l8_o-gwTkKh5AXc1eWgw.png?1

Assuming you didn't setup SSL/Cert when setting up your Emby Server to be remotely accessible you then go to

http://app.emby.media

Follow the prompts to login to your server

If you did setup a cert and have this working then you give your users

https://app.emby.media  (has the "s" for secure)

You can check to make sure your server is setup for remote use by going to www.canyouseeme.org and running a test to port 8096 and/or 8920 (or whatever port is forwarded on your router).  If this fails or you didn't setup remote use of your server then START FIRST here
https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44002137137

Let us know how you make out.

herstl22

Now I get it. This is in the settings. I have 4 users but never used the option emby connect. 

Hope the external connection works than. If it works on Plex it must work with emby as well. 

Thank you

You may need to set this up manually in Emby but it's all spelled out in the link I gave you.

If you get stuck or don't understand something, send me a PM and I can personally help you with the setup.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...