Music: Same Artist - 2 Different Media Locations

mrcraigc

mrcraigc

Is this possible? Example: I want to have studio albums in one folder and live bootlegs in another. When I attempted it even thought the content was separated the Artist caused everything to show up in both media locations.

Do you mean everything is showing up under the same artist or under the same album... Are they added as separate libraries?

EDIT: I was going to show you how the same thing has occurred in my library.. I have the same sort of separation.. but they are all inside the same main directory/share which is added as the same Library.. So when I pull up an artist I see everything they have done.. Songs albums, bootlegs, mixes, compilations they are responsible for.. and all albums they have appeared on. In the filesystem, they are clearly separated. Mine are split into #Mixes, @VA - Compilations, $Soundtracks, and Artist by folder naming only... Even my Whitelabel Vinyl and Bootlegs ( which are usually found on Discogs... are in where they go because technically they are a type of release. )

If I was to create folders for each type and move those into each folder.. and then add them separately as Libraries.. they would show up differently and you will have Media Icons/Buttons at the top of the home page for each type. This will also be separate when creating playlists and listening.

So .. Discographies will be separated from the other types of releases.

Edited by Guest

mrcraigc

I must have done something wrong then because all the studio albums showed up in my Bootleg section. It's like Emby saw the artist and just grabbed everything even though they are in 2 different locations on my machine.

Mine do this because they are in the same Library... I will give some examples..

Basically even separate folders in the same Library Type will be joined together..

So Lets say you have two music folders. One is for Bootlegs and one is for Discographies.. They will need a separate Library with the same type as Music, different names.

If you add a Music Type Library and put both folders under the same one it will all show up together. 

SO.. under Libraries you will have two setup for music, like this...

EXAMPLES

04_29.2021_040109.jpg.4b76eaae41852924b534875ec652a60e.jpg    04_29.2021_040150.jpg.44f963889a134ac55801db354cf30d54.jpg

WRONG WOULD LOOK LIKE

04_29.2021_035259.jpg.b5f346352f766021e03aec91a272e528.jpg

The second is an example of my videos, this groups them under one Library and one Button on the Home Screen. The first example will give you two of them. Everything should stay separated that way.

All of my Music was added under one share, \\Music\.. all folders then are listed in the same library which means mine get joined when it has finished with the metadata and scanning.. So in my Library I have three folders for the same artist ( as an example ).. amongst thousands of folders :P 

#Elite Force ( Live, Club, Radio, and Studio Mixes )

2010 - Revamped (REAL)

@VA - Elite Force ( Compiled by or Officially released mixed Compilations )

2009 - Some Elite Force Presents Album ( Made up )

Elite Force

2014 - RVMPD3 ( REAL )

2010 - Revamped ( REAL ) - same but different type - FULL ALBUM, individual tracks

After they are scanned in under the same Library ( even if added with separate folders ) They all show up under that artist as well as every song they appear on which may be on other albums under other DJ/Artist listing for releases.

TWO ALBUMS SHOWN TOGETHER UNDER ARTIST

04_29.2021_042519.thumb.jpg.896cf87219e7167268f1d18c914abc92.jpg

From what I said so far it should make sense. Revamped however has TWO places in my Library because there is a mix or continuous mix done as well as the original album.. They are in separate folders but with the right metadata. The metadata for the files pulls them together into the same folder. Which is expected. ( They are all in the same library )

04_29.2021_042500.thumb.jpg.4bb3fdc0201e49a5b2d157aaa9556fbd.jpg

All of the other songs on other releases also show up under the artist page from any other album they are released on, and in the songs list.

04_29.2021_042906.thumb.jpg.a0dc7db8df114457b414dbce68335df9.jpg

The only way around all of this is to create separate libraries with different names... This should work correctly. The same way if you added a DJ library with a Genre folder structure.. EMBY would still arrange everything this way from what was added under the main folder... You could still use it the same way from within EMBY, but it is going to gather metadata and use a database to display them in the different ways you have available in the Server..

Edited by Guest

mrcraigc

Thanks for that. I have 2 separate libraries but it is still wonky. The Bootleg library is correct (only showing bootlegs) but the library with only studio and official releases is showing the bootleg content as well even though it is the other library. 

One more thing...metadata needs to be added to keep albums from merging... my folders reflect exact album names but this is a screenshot of The Prodigy.. they have several different release types.. If the metadata in the files states the same album name even though the folders are separated.. they will still aggregate as the same album and list all songs under one release.. Just a note as it may come in handy for you..

FOLDER ROW 1 OF 4

04_29.2021_045025.jpg.a75615e5811d4d61b508367cfecce32e.jpg

04_29.2021_045342.jpg.9f1516714bf4e4622cb15b7aa8cd6815.jpg

Just now, mrcraigc said:

Thanks for that. I have 2 separate libraries but it is still wonky. The Bootleg library is correct (only showing bootlegs) but the library with only studio and official releases is showing the bootleg content as well even though it is the other library. 

That sound like an issue...  did you at one point have them together as one?

mrcraigc
2 minutes ago, Hxemby001 said:

That sound like an issue...  did you at one point have them together as one?

Nope. And actually after re-scanning I basically have redundant folders for this artist even though they are separate libraries. I guess I can change the artist name to Artist (Bootlegs) but I don't really want to do that.

No, I would not advise that either...

I know it may sound like a pain in the !@#.. but maybe try removing the library that has the duplicates. Once it has finished do that in the logs ( doublecheck, because it has to remove metadata folders and from the database as well ).. Then add it back.. and see what happens when it finishes. Verify those folders in your system as well not having the bootlegs .. just in case.. 👍

If it still shows up this way it is going to be a good question for @Luke probably, about how the database is handling these entries.

Edited by Guest

Happy2Play

Yes this was brought up in 4.6 testing as there is no way to have same media in different formats via different libraries (ie flac and say mp3).  Do to being tag driven they get merged into one album do to same ids even though different paths.

In theory it can be done, but each album needs a different id.  So if say MBZ has different release ids for said album you can have them separated.

Well mine above I would expect to do that... in fact the metadata I put into a continuous mix or a DJ Mix is different from what you would expect versus a normal file.. but some have the exact same metadata and are a part of the same root folder, ( \\Music\... ) within the same library. In my mind that WOULD be expected behavior. 

I guess from what I am gathering is that the information is going into the database without an allocation to a specific Library... so when your in one Library you see things from the other Library... Unless it got lost somewhere up there in translation as they say... I think he has his in two separate Libraries and it is doing this..

My albums ( referencing The Prodigy - File Explorer view above ) is a good example of how I separated the albums... ( I have tons of stuff like this ) Fire/Jericho is a good example.. Three different Single releases.. Vinyl Release versus CD Single as well.. where you have the same artist and album even similar covers... but the release type is different.. and the reason I have those BTW is because remixes, track listing, and songs are different.. In order to have all of the different ones available for mixing or whatever or have the song.. Appending the custom release type to the album tag, did that cleanly. In fact I am still working on some of the singles folders where I separated some of this before.. because they doo add them together as one album.

mrcraigc
On 4/29/2021 at 5:49 PM, Luke said:

If they're the same artist, there's currently no way to separate them.

Great, thanks for clarifying.

• 2 months later...
As777

Just stumbled on this problem and this really should not be happening unless the user chooses to have it this way. There is no point letting the user set up separate libraries only to merge them into the same artist database as another library resides. If the user wanted this then they should have several sources to the same library instead.