delete playlist without deleting the videos from library

richardyu301

richardyu301

When I press delete I only get the message "Deleting this item will delete if from both the file system and your media library".  

How to remove a playlist only without deleting the related videos from the library?   

gillmacca01

I think it may need re-wording. 

It could cause confusion, thinking that it will physically delete the file 

• Agree 1

Here is the dialog shown when I try to remove one item from the playlist
image.png.c7035fe00141a12aebf6615c677af7c6.png

• Like 1

Doesn't say anything about removing it from the playlist but does say it's going to remove it from the library and file system!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
WarrenEdwards

I feel like the wording on this topic is terrible. The error message makes it seem as if it's actually going to delete the media files from the server not just the playlist. I would suggest for rewording.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, WarrenEdwards said:

I feel like the wording on this topic is terrible. The error message makes it seem as if it's actually going to delete the media files from the server not just the playlist. I would suggest for rewording.

We'll look at improving it. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, xe` said:

As far as I can tell this is still an open bug/enhancement?

No, if you delete a playlist, it will not delete the media. It never has done that.

6 hours ago, xe` said:

As far as I can tell this is still an open bug/enhancement?

Can you show us a screenshot or two of how you're doing this?
If need be create copy a few media files you're going to test on so you can put them back again.

Do you see words like "remove" or "delete"?

I dont think anything is actually broken, the end result works as expected it is just the wording is really strong and identical? to the dialogue presented when you use the actual delete media function.

image.png.2e8a449e8c3a0472b32a47c3a4929267.png

Mentioning filesystem, files and folders in the context of a virtual playlist and media library is a "deep breath" moment.

It makes more sense when the playlist comes from a m3u but even then it is IMO too strong.

I think there is scope here for a softer, less generic message dialogue.

There was an issue as shown earlier in the thread but that was corrected a while ago.  Let me show you a couple things using 4.7 to make sure the correct option is being selected.

These are correct and should give this message since I am doing a Delete. Here I'm deleting the playlist itself.

image.png.551b787ecfb34d9942d756ac4cda0151.png

image.png.82dc51944c8562f2a493d1c3c901d733.png

Here is an item Delete of a member of a playlist.  This is a delete and not a "remove".
image.png.a276d2904ec0192c7a0776ae3544b1fb.png

image.png.1c749414e6430dd2ee5038589795fb48.png
This dialog is correct.

However if the intention was to remove the item from the playlist and not to delete the item from disk, library and playlist I should use this option instead:

Remove from Playlist.
image.png.b3eb039a7a964152c27e52e97d7138cd.png

Clicking it doesn't bring up a dialog as it's not needed since nothing is removed from the file system!

So please don't use "Delete" if you do not want to actually delete the media.

@Luke What would you think of adding "Remove from Playlist" to the top of the list vs bottom so it's visible without having to scroll?  That may be a bit more user friendly.

WarrenEdwards

Old thread is old.
Deleting a playlist should not delete the media in it. (It does) How is this a good feature?
The wording needs cleaned up as well in my opinion.

Edited by WarrenEdwards

3 minutes ago, WarrenEdwards said:

Deleting a playlist should not delete the media in it. (It does)

Deleting a playlist does not delete the media, and it never has.

WarrenEdwards

It used to. I havent used the feature since. And the wording is a bit 'scary' as others have stated. If it doesnt, then maybe reword it? Thanks!

12 minutes ago, WarrenEdwards said:

It used to. I havent used the feature since. And the wording is a bit 'scary' as others have stated. If it doesnt, then maybe reword it? Thanks!

Yes we can certainly look at rewording it. Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Yes we can certainly look at rewording it. Thanks.

This would be perfect thank you

Did you guys follow what I showed above?  If you're seeing DELETE on the popup, Emby is going to delete it because you told it too!
I'm suggesting you are picking the wrong menu choice.  You don't want to DELETE but want to REMOVE an item.

Are you choosing "Delete" or "Remove from Playlist" menu item?  You might not see that item if you don't scroll down.

Delete is destructive while Remove is not.

11 hours ago, cayars said:

Did you guys follow what I showed above?  If you're seeing DELETE on the popup, Emby is going to delete it because you told it too!
I'm suggesting you are picking the wrong menu choice.  You don't want to DELETE but want to REMOVE an item.

Are you choosing "Delete" or "Remove from Playlist" menu item?  You might not see that item if you don't scroll down.

Delete is destructive while Remove is not.

I do believe they wished to delete the playlist but the message makes it sound like the contents of the playlist will also be deleted.  We need to try to make that more clear.

• Agree 1

Maybe even better would be to not delete a playlist that isn't empty.
"You must remove all items from playlist before deleting."

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2022 at 1:40 AM, cayars said:

Maybe even better would be to not delete a playlist that isn't empty.
"You must remove all items from playlist before deleting."

If I understand you correctly I dont think that would work for everyone.

We quite often use playlist here for groups of things never without any intention to delete the media e.g." music for poker night" or "movies to watch to see if they are ok for the kids"

I think some people get confused with "delete" and "remove" on the playlist menu.

If you delete it then the movie/show/media will be deleted from the system.  If you choose remove then the media is removed from the playlist.

I'm not fond of the menu choices as you don't see the remove unless you scroll down the list.  To me anything "optional" that changes based on content should be at the top of the list, not bottom so it's more apparent there are different options.