SYNOLOGY DS220J or SYNOLOGY DISKSTATION DS218

DESTINYLORD
Go to solution Solved by BaukeZwart,

DESTINYLORD

I was thinking about buying a NAS for home I can't decide between SYNOLOGY DS220J (215 euro) or SYNOLOGY DISKSTATION DS218 (329 euro) do you have a recommendation? My internet connection is ass, so most probably I would only watch things from home in direct play. I think I will get a 10TB drive an later upgrade it for 2x10TB. The NAS would run qbit sonarr radarr and emby. Do you think the extra memory worth the price difference?  

• Solution
BaukeZwart

I would recommend getting the DS218+, or the newer DS220+
Both the 218+ and 220+ have an Intel processor making it possible to run Docker applications.

Edited by BaukeZwart
  • Agree 1

DESTINYLORD

Thanks, that make sense, but I tried to deal with docker 2 times and  I just couldn't :D I know it is supposed to be easy etc. but it isn't for me. Also I don't want to learn with my main pc At now I ordered a cheap  micro pc. I will try to make something out of it with docker and nginx proxy manager before spending 700 euro on something I can't setup yet. 

BaukeZwart

For some apps like Bazarr there is no package for Synology yet, so if you want to run that Docker is your only option. 

I received my DS920+ today, coming from a DS216Play, so the Docker learning curve will start soon 😳

DESTINYLORD

DS920+ sounds good. At the moment I am still thinking about going on the easy way. I rly only use radarr and sonarr I might be using the nas for everything except emby and keep the mini pc for emby and retro games. As I only watch stuff when I am at home because of my poo ISP.  :D  (this is the best possible connection in my area until 2023) host.png.1389ac15edab6c7b9041faa6fd812b16.png

BaukeZwart

Don't be afraid of using Docker, i had about 8 apps, including Emby, Sonarr and Radarr in no time. Not finished withbthe setup but everything is running.