Parental PIN Control / User Control - Local

abstract

abstract

We've been using MB Classic for years now (probably since your first launch) - it's great and I can't thank you enough!!

But... our little girl is growing up - and now frequently using the computer. So I'd like to protect her from accessing age-inappropriate films/tv.

User control is "ok" and very beneficial for access from remote computers - I often stream on my Windows Phone on the train, or to my laptop when away. On a local network you know who will be using the machines and so can now allow local access without a password (great addition, with caveats...).

However, what many parents (I'm sure?) will want/use users for is to prevent their kids (of whatever age) accessing age-inappropriate material, therefore disabling passwords is not very helpful as they could simply select a different user.

Would it be possible to add a basic, optional, "PIN entry" feature for content that is above an age-rating that you specify in the configuration?

There could be a toggle for this in the top "options" (?) menu (that is shown in the top-right corner of all front-end pages)...

e.g. by default a specified PIN must be entered to view any content rated above the set age rating.

You can enter the PIN and enable all media until you then toggle the "parental access" back off again. Ideally, a time-out could be attached to this - so, once the kids have gone to bed, you enter the PIN once and have access to all content for the rest of the evening - but, after say 3 hours/overnight, the PIN times out and content is limited again.

This would just be a much simpler (and much faster) option than logging out and in as a different user. It also means that you can simply leave your HTPC on and everything works - with no fear that your children can access 24, True Blood or a violent film for example.

Such a system would have to be implemented by each client which means it would work with some and not others.  Plus it would be redundant with our current user-based functionality and, thus, confusing to many folks.  Finally, it would not be as robust as what we have with users as you'd now have to have different PINs for different levels of access - again being redundant with users.

In MBC, the easiest way to set this up is to configure each machine to automatically log in to the user that uses that particular one the most.  If it is a shared living room machine, then have it automatically log in as the lower user or always display the login screen.  Switching users should then be pretty quick from most themes' home pages.

abstract

Thanks EBR,

If this is the way it has to be we will live with it, not to worry. But from a simplicity of use ('wife-proofing' I believe is becoming the common term?) the PIN, akin to Sky for example, would be a much simpler method. Personally/IMHO I think the users system is great, but it serves an external network function not a local/HTPC one.

We have ours setup exactly as you suggest already, but there is a major downfall of this - and other concern:

1. Once you login as the "adult" user you must remember to log off again, else the (lounge) machine is left with full access. (Is there/could there be a user time-out feature added?)

2. If using the local users don't require password option - there is no security provided locally.

psykix

+1 for the time out - especially for MBT. Would be good to take you back to the log in screen after a period of inactivity.

I forget to log out - and then the missus watches her show, and then next time she's logged in as herself and asking why it is not marked as watched...

abstract

Another simple idea / users improvement...

Rather than having the log-in screen - could we have a, more visible, users button in the corner - ideally a drop-down allowing you to directly select the user (without having to first return to the login screen) - when a password is required this could be prompted in a pop-up/similar?

E.g. netflix interface below:

53f4ea35c5d0e_tempnetflixusers.jpg

1. Once you login as the "adult" user you must remember to log off again, else the (lounge) machine is left with full access. (Is there/could there be a user time-out feature added?

This already exists.  The default is three hours but can be adjusted in the Advanced panel of the config pages in MBC.

If using the local users don't require password option - there is no security provided locally.

Well, that's because you selected an option to not have any security locally... ;)

For your situation (or anyone with kids) you don't want to use this option.

Another simple idea / users improvement...

Rather than having the log-in screen - could we have a, more visible, users button in the corner - ideally a drop-down allowing you to directly select the user (without having to first return to the login screen) - when a password is required this could be prompted in a pop-up/similar?

E.g. netflix interface below:

53f4ea35c5d0e_tempnetflixusers.jpg

This basically already exists as well.  If you hit the user icon (in Chocolate anyway), you get a window up that allows you to quickly switch to any other user.  You never go back to the log-in screen.

abstract

EBR - brill - thank you!

Hadn't spotted that (duh!) - have enabled and will try set-up like this.

Local users - (I think mentioned elsewhere) - could we have an option to have a local-only user with no password (e.g. the "Family"/"Front Room" user), which would be the family-friendly content?

Users - yes, apologies, not having used users much for some time (I found it clunky/slow at the time - will retry) hadn't spotted that. I'll add in some users and try it with the above change.

However - could you still make the user icon clearer (maybe separate it in top-right corner) if there is suitable support for this?

Anyway, with the above changes will try using users again to see how we all get on. It's the missus and little 'un really, I'm happy using ruddy explorer to be honest!! Thanks again :-)