[Feature Request] Add support for MKV HEVC HDR playback using Apple TV (without tone mapping)

vdatanet

vdatanet

Hi,

This has been talked about a lot on the Apple TV forums, but there is no formal request for it. So I do it here, please add support for MKV HEVC HDR playback using Apple TV (without tone mapping). I don't care what technique you use. Either adding HLS fPM4 support to the server or improving the MPV player.

I anticipate that I am not satisfied with you saying that Apple TV does not support that, since most players on the market support it.

Thanks

• Like 12
  • Agree 8

abat119

+1 (x10000000000000.........)

I do prefer the native Apple TV player over MPV - it seems to have better image quality (besides also allowing for frame rate matcing 🙃 ).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

vdatanet
11 minutes ago, abat119 said:

I do prefer the native Apple TV player over MPV

I also prefer the native player but that requires HLS fMP4 support and its implementation does not seem easy. 🤔

UnderMiner

Hello,

I support this request and have been using emby for many years (early Media Browser days). We moved to Apple TV three years ago and it is a solid platform. Please continue to support the Apple TV and plan to add some features such as HEVC HDR playback. We use this system daily for recoding television and for playing back family photos and videos from a Windows 10 server.

Thanks to the developers and to vdatanet for your knowledge and your community support.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sfatula

Yep, totally agree but frame rate matching is rather important too. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
vdatanet

I still don't understand why this is so hard to implement, even the Jellyfin cousin has implemented it, not glitching while remuxing HEVC content using classic iOS app:

/usr/lib/****-ffmpeg/ffmpeg -fflags +genpts -i file:"/media/4k/****.mkv" -map_metadata -1 -map_chapters -1 -threads 0 -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map -0:s -codec:v:0 copy -tag:v:0 hvc1 -bsf:v hevc_mp4toannexb -start_at_zero -vsync -1 -codec:a:0 aac -ac 6 -ab 640000 -copyts -avoid_negative_ts disabled -max_muxing_queue_size 2048 -f hls -max_delay 5000000 -hls_time 6 -hls_segment_type fmp4 -hls_fmp4_init_filename "98b65c4d2ef149d56fd0b74b6e9feaac-1.mp4" -start_number 0 -hls_segment_filename "/var/lib/****/transcodes/98b65c4d2ef149d56fd0b74b6e9feaac%d.mp4" -hls_playlist_type vod -hls_list_size 0 -y "/var/lib/****/transcodes/98b65c4d2ef149d56fd0b74b6e9feaac.m3u8"

BTW the new iOS/tvOS version Swiftfin (in very early status) direct plays DTS without remuxing.

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 5

sross44

It’s not hard to implement from what I understand. I just don’t think apple TV is a focus for the team. They say it is, but the app is so far behind the Android based apps and the Roku apps it’s sad. We all know that Infuse saves us lol. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
markkundinger

i would like to +1 this one as well.

The wife is not going to use anything BUT the apple tv, and it would be really great if these ripped UHD movies would work smoothly!

vdatanet
13 hours ago, Mi.K said:

I believe it works by turning off the subtitles

That's not true:

1. HDR passthrough is only supported by Apple TV native player (MPV player does tone-mapping)
  2. MKV direct playback is not supported by Apple TV native player, so direct streaming is required
  3. HLS HEVC streaming in Apple devices requires HLS fMP4
  4. Emby Server does not support HLS fMP4
  5. So, HEVC in MKV container is full transcoded using Apple TV native player.

I hope it is understood, this is an Emby's limitation not Apple TV.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

This should be improved with the upcoming 4.7 release of the server as well as an updated version of our Apple TV app. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
gcampbellksu

Did this ever get implemented or is it still in work?  We just got an Apple TV 4K but am unable to play my 4K HEVC HDR rips.  Works fine with Plex and Infuse 7 but I love Emby and don't want to pay another subscription.

38 minutes ago, gcampbellksu said:

Did this ever get implemented or is it still in work?  We just got an Apple TV 4K but am unable to play my 4K HEVC HDR rips.  Works fine with Plex and Infuse 7 but I love Emby and don't want to pay another subscription.

HI, we are working on improving it. Thanks.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
kbijvank

+1, would be nice if you guys attend to the Apple eco system after the 4.8 release storm is getting down, especially the Apple TV. So that all the functions are on par with all the other clients.

• Agree 1

vdatanet
On 2/15/2022 at 5:41 PM, Luke said:

This should be improved with the upcoming 4.7 release of the server as well as an updated version of our Apple TV app. Thanks.

It was not improved in either 4.7 or 4.8.