Music stops when Roku screensaver activates

BLAlley

BLAlley

when playing music from my PC, it stops when the Roku Screensaver activates. Is this a bug, or is there a setting to tell it not to engage the screensaver as is the case with videos?

Thanks

B

Happy2Play
8 minutes ago, BLAlley said:

when playing music from my PC, it stops when the Roku Screensaver activates. Is this a bug, or is there a setting to tell it not to engage the screensaver as is the case with videos?

Thanks

B

Moved topic

Pretty sure only disabling Roku screensaver.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/96016-roku-screensaver-coming-on-causes-emby-music-player-to-half-freeze-and-not-continue-playing-songs-solution-disable-screensaver

Roku needs to respond and let us know what we are supposed to do since you cannot update the time of the last keypress. This was a short cut to avoid the screen saver. Now that you cannot do this the audio player has no support for screen saver block. The video player does. You cannot place an invisible video player during playing audio because to block the screen saver the video player must be visible and have focus. So this loses value as an alternative to update last keypress. Then you go.. what else can we use? Nothing? Really? ..and at this point, Yes. There is nothing else. You must disable the screen saver because Roku isn't making this easy for us. We will find a way eventually but losing the old without having a new way right off is rather annoying. I agree...

See here:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-TV-Ready-Certification-Program/Usage-of-the-UpdateLastKeypressTime-API-is-no-longer-permitted/td-p/654015

..and here..
https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Developer-Program/How-to-keep-the-screen-on-when-displaying-photos/td-p/566372

Now I am not sure if when submitting a new PKG to Roku store if it will fail certification if there is an roAppManager call using UpdateLastKeypressTime(). Only people brave enough to have their application pulled from the Roku store while they correct that problem can tell. They will pull your application if you fail certification. You cannot joke around. You cannot willy-nilly throw PKG at Roku store and not have it affect your placement on their store. Knowing this we must tread water carefully and not be a guinea pig.

This is what we know...

old sdk page for roAppManager:
https://sdkdocs-archive.roku.com/ifAppManager_1611298.html#ifAppManager-UpdateLastKeyPressTime()asVoid

new sdk page for roAppManager:
https://developer.roku.com/en-ca/docs/references/brightscript/interfaces/ifappmanager.md

UpdateLastKeyPressTime is missing. This is a problem.

Edited by speechles

Please try the beta version of the Roku app to see if it solves this problem for you.  Thanks.

Anyone... Beuhler...?

EZEd

@ebr & @speechles does this situation preclude us from ever having either photo accompanied slideshows with simultaneous music playback as well as perhaps future implementation of music visualizations on the Roku platform?  I am relatively happy with the simultaneous music and photo play on Android TV but was hoping to also get this capability on Samsung Smart app as well as Roku.  But listening to this sounds like it will never happen on Roku since their deprecated audio and video players will not allow simultaneous playback.  Visualizations have not been implemented natively in any app yet.  But this sounds like it won't ever be possible on Roku. What are the estimated implications?

9 minutes ago, EZEd said:

@ebr & @speechles does this situation preclude us from ever having either photo accompanied slideshows with simultaneous music playback as well as perhaps future implementation of music visualizations on the Roku platform?  I am relatively happy with the simultaneous music and photo play on Android TV but was hoping to also get this capability on Samsung Smart app as well as Roku.  But listening to this sounds like it will never happen on Roku since their deprecated audio and video players will not allow simultaneous playback.  Visualizations have not been implemented natively in any app yet.  But this sounds like it won't ever be possible on Roku. What are the estimated implications?

This particular issue is the screen saver interrupting audio or photo playback.  It should have no bearing on what you are talking about above.

You can already play music and watch a photo slide show simultaneously in the Roku app.  Start the music, then navigate to photos and play from there.

EZEd

@ebr, not to belabor this point to death but I revisited simultaneous music and photo play on Roku again. It does work except that on Android TV you can shuffle play both music and pictures simultaneously.  Roku allows music shuffle but photo play is in-line only (no shuffle).  It plays pictures in-line according to file name in the sort order.   At least Roku is allowing this much now. Previously when I visited this on Roku it could only do one or the other, play music or play photos; not both simultaneously.  And Samsung TV app still doesn't have this capability.  Samsung will still stop music as soon as a picture is either viewed or "play" is pressed in a photo album.  Interestingly I tried both the webapp and Emby Theater on Windows and neither of them could do it either.  I sort of expected the webapp to maybe be a little deprecated in this regard but I figured Emby Theater should have no problem doing this as it would be bringing to bare the full capability of an HTPC doing something simple.  I was shocked to find that Theater couldn't do it.  If anyone is using Theater as their HTPC front end I'm sure they're likely pissed right now.  Is there ever going to be consistency of capabilities across all platforms for items like this?  And why would Theater not easily be able to do this?

9 hours ago, EZEd said:

Is there ever going to be consistency of capabilities across all platforms for items like this?

Yes, we strive for that constantly but there can be a chicken and egg problem sometimes.  For instance, we could be "consistent" by removing this functionality from the apps that support it but you don't want that, right?  With lower priority items, you will see greater disparity because those features may be only in the platforms where they were requested the most for a period of time.

9 hours ago, EZEd said:

And why would Theater not easily be able to do this?

It really hasn't been requested very much so it simply hasn't made it to the top of a to do list yet (see above).

EZEd

I guess I didn't bother to check it before but I thought for sure Theater had this at one time.  Has it always been like that?  Maybe I'm thinking back to MB3 days when it was part of WMC7 and it may have been WMC7 that was actually doing the heavy lifting.  But I could have sworn that it was doing it native to Emby Theater since the days of divorce from WMC.  Oh well.