Issues with Q90T and Samsung Frame TVs (2020 models)

Paint

SamES

I am wondering why these are transcoding?  Log says video codec not supported, which I don't think is right, I will check tonight.

Paint
3 hours ago, SamES said:

So these logs look better.  Did they play fine or still stop?

Still are timing out....

This is me changing the codec to medium, max cpu used for transcoding and I put 999mbps for max server bandwidth (I have gigabit). 

SamES

I can't see why this is being an issue, but a couple of observations.

• These server logs (and your previous) seem to be massive considering that debug logging is off.  The frequency of some of these messages is really quick, so I'm wondering if the server is being swamped.
    • LibraryMonitor seems to be executing a lot of library refreshes, often multiple the same item times in an hour.  Any idea why this is the case?  Are you copying lots of stuff to the server with real-time monitoring turned on?
  • Is the server you are connecting to local or remote?  From the logs, it looks like it is remote.  Is that correct?
    • Assuming that it is remote, what is the internet connection like?  I'm not just talking speed, but what about quality (latency, dropped packets, etc). The buffer on the Samsung is not big, so if packets are being dropped it hasn't got much stored up to go on with.  Devices like FireTV probably buffer more, so can better handle any disruptions..
  • Is there anything else about your setup that might be considered 'non-standard' or configured differently from the defaults?
  • Do you have any non-standard transcoding parameters?  Can you go back to these defaults and see what happens?

image.thumb.png.a174dcefde2ad47f829e88bf86caef96.png

Paint
1 hour ago, SamES said:

I can't see why this is being an issue, but a couple of observations.

• These server logs (and your previous) seem to be massive considering that debug logging is off.  The frequency of some of these messages is really quick, so I'm wondering if the server is being swamped.
    • LibraryMonitor seems to be executing a lot of library refreshes, often multiple the same item times in an hour.  Any idea why this is the case?  Are you copying lots of stuff to the server with real-time monitoring turned on?
  • Is the server you are connecting to local or remote?  From the logs, it looks like it is remote.  Is that correct?
    • Assuming that it is remote, what is the internet connection like?  I'm not just talking speed, but what about quality (latency, dropped packets, etc). The buffer on the Samsung is not big, so if packets are being dropped it hasn't got much stored up to go on with.  Devices like FireTV probably buffer more, so can better handle any disruptions..
  • Is there anything else about your setup that might be considered 'non-standard' or configured differently from the defaults?
  • Do you have any non-standard transcoding parameters?  Can you go back to these defaults and see what happens?

image.thumb.png.a174dcefde2ad47f829e88bf86caef96.png

I agree that the logs are massive given that debugging is off. However, during my tests, I am the only user streaming or perhaps 1 other additional user. 

Library monitoring is enabled for real-time. I am using a 24x SAS hardware with cachecade and bcache in front of the storage array, which allows me to write up to 2GB per second and have increased random IO. Yes, new files are coming in throughout the day and the only other process that changes files is TinyMediaManager that runs hourly to add metadata/move files etc. 

During these tests, I am connecting remotely to my server that is hosted on my FiOS gigabit connection. My internet at the streaming source ( where the samsung TVs are) is gigabit cable internet. The internet is rock solid at the server and relatively solid at the client/streaming side. No significant buffer float or latency issues on either side overall. 

Nothing regarding my setup is non-standard, besides the fact that I use nginx as a reverse proxy in front of Emby. Everything else is configured standard to an emby install. 

Nothing regarding encoding parameters are non-standard. I will change the transcoding settings back to what you suggested in the screenshot. 

If you could let me know your availability for a zoom, we can debug the issue in real-time. Thank you. 

Overall, I think the issue is related to the very small buffer samsungTVs have versus the firestick. What is interesting though is that Netflix and PrimeTV streaming directly on the SamsungTVs have no issues whatsoever (no buffering or lag). Firesticks also work fine for emby or other streaming content. The only issue I am facing is using the Emby app on the SamsungTVs directly. 

Edited by Paint

SamES
8 hours ago, Paint said:

If you could let me know your availability for a zoom, we can debug the issue in real-time. Thank you. 

Overall, I think the issue is related to the very small buffer samsungTVs have versus the firestick. What is interesting though is that Netflix and PrimeTV streaming directly on the SamsungTVs have no issues whatsoever (no buffering or lag). Firesticks also work fine for emby or other streaming content. The only issue I am facing is using the Emby app on the SamsungTVs directly. 

These apps all use their own customised streaming players with larger buffers, and their streaming sources are heavily customised to ensure the best experience with their own player. As Emby always tries to use the native players and only modifies the media on the fly if required, on one hand it becomes a bit of a compromise but allows the greatest range of device compatibility with the least impact on the original media.

I'm not sure that we can achieve much over a zoom session.  We just need to work through a process of elimination.

From the location where the tv is, can you please ping the remote server, let it run for a minute or two (depending on your os you will need to work out the best way to ping continuously) and put the output in a file.  You can PM that to me instead of posting it.

Then try turning off TinyMediaManager as a test and try playback again. 

I'm also wondering whether the reverse proxy could be an issue.

CharlieMurphy

Maybe you are filling the cache of the reverse proxy? I think I had this happen once and the nginx logs from the reverse proxy were the key to figuring that out.

Paint
36 minutes ago, CharlieMurphy said:

Maybe you are filling the cache of the reverse proxy? I think I had this happen once and the nginx logs from the reverse proxy were the key to figuring that out.

Hi Charlie, 

what settings for nginx would these be to turn off caching? 

Paint
2 hours ago, SamES said:

These apps all use their own customised streaming players with larger buffers, and their streaming sources are heavily customised to ensure the best experience with their own player. As Emby always tries to use the native players and only modifies the media on the fly if required, on one hand it becomes a bit of a compromise but allows the greatest range of device compatibility with the least impact on the original media.

I'm not sure that we can achieve much over a zoom session.  We just need to work through a process of elimination.

From the location where the tv is, can you please ping the remote server, let it run for a minute or two (depending on your os you will need to work out the best way to ping continuously) and put the output in a file.  You can PM that to me instead of posting it.

I'm also wondering whether the reverse proxy could be an issue.

Pings for 2 minutes range from 12-14ms. I am only a few miles away from the host (NYC -> Brooklyn)

CharlieMurphy
32 minutes ago, Paint said:

Hi Charlie, 

what settings for nginx would these be to turn off caching? 

I corrected it by mounting the cache folder it was using to a different place that had more space, so it no longer filled. That folder was /var/lib/nginx/tmp for me.

This probably isn't your issue but it's definitely worth looking at the nginx logs too, I wasted some time looking elsewhere and it was so clear when I opened that log.

Paint
2 minutes ago, CharlieMurphy said:

I corrected it by mounting the cache folder it was using to a different place that had more space, so it no longer filled. That folder was /var/lib/nginx/tmp for me.

This probably isn't your issue but it's definitely worth looking at the nginx logs too, I wasted some time looking elsewhere and it was so clear when I opened that log.

thank you for the suggestion. my cache folder is empty for nginx because I have that off. I also have 668gb free on my main drive for ubuntu

Paint

What else can I provide to debug this issue further? Im a long time emby premium user and donated for an additional user license. I am only having this issue with the Samsung Emby app on two brand new TVs. No issues with chrome, fire sticks, Android's or IPhones. 

Is the answer just to give up on the Samsung Emby app?

SamES
On 05/05/2021 at 08:26, SamES said:

Did you try this?

On 5/3/2021 at 10:02 PM, Paint said:

Try setting your server transcoding options back to default and see if that helps:

>>>>>  Non-Default Encoder Parameters
Warning EncoderParametersH264LibX.Preset: Original: veryfast Actual: medium

Paint
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Try setting your server transcoding options back to default and see if that helps:

>>>>>  Non-Default Encoder Parameters
Warning EncoderParametersH264LibX.Preset: Original: veryfast Actual: medium

I changed the setting back to the default and it has made no difference - the issue remains. 

My transcoding options were at the standard, default settings from the start of this thread. I only changed them in the later logs to see if it made a difference, which it has not. 

Screenshot_20210506-002024_Emby.jpg

Edited by Paint

SamES
6 hours ago, SamES said:

Please give this a go. 

If that doesn't work, can you setup a virtual machine on the same server and configure a very basic emby server instance with default settings and see how that behaves?

If you want to configure a user account for me with access to a couple of test files in a library you can PM me the login details and I will test playback and see what result I get.

Paint
1 hour ago, SamES said:

Please give this a go. 

If that doesn't work, can you setup a virtual machine on the same server and configure a very basic emby server instance with default settings and see how that behaves?

If you want to configure a user account for me with access to a couple of test files in a library you can PM me the login details and I will test playback and see what result I get.

Hi @SamES, I disabled TinyMediaManager and it hasnt made a difference with streaming. I can try setting up a parallel basic Emby server to see if that makes a difference (removing nginx as a reverse proxy mainly)

Happy to give you a login to my server so you can test. Ill try and set this up for you later. Thank you very much

• 2 weeks later...
Paint

Wanted to give you guys an update. I switched my internet provider and it seems like I am no longer having an issue with the emby on my  Samsung TV. I guess the much smaller buffer size is the problem. 

I do now have firesticks on all of my Samsung TVs so if I ever have another issue, I'll just start using the emby app on the firestick. 

Paint
1 minute ago, Paint said:

Wanted to give you guys an update. I switched my internet provider and it seems like I am no longer having an issue with the emby on my  Samsung TV. I guess the much smaller buffer size is the problem. 

I do now have firesticks on all of my Samsung TVs so if I ever have another issue, I'll just start using the emby app on the firestick. 

As I write this.....the issue just happened again. @SamESdo you still want a login to my server to help debug? 

SamES
On 06/05/2021 at 22:55, Paint said:

I can try setting up a parallel basic Emby server to see if that makes a difference (removing nginx as a reverse proxy mainly)

Did you try this?  You could probably just test it using the portable version from here :  Emby Server for Windows.