No audio for DTS-HD MA on LG TV

haohoang

haohoang

Normal I can play DTS-HD MA on LG TV if the Movies file have more than 2 audio source ex TRUEHD + DTS-HD MA + AC3 I can play both 3 format of audio above, but if the movies file only has DTS-HD MA the moves i play has no sound. 

the emby server i run on raspberry, when i try to open that movies on iphone it’s can play as normally .

SamES
19 hours ago, haohoang said:

Normal I can play DTS-HD MA on LG TV if the Movies file have more than 2 audio source ex TRUEHD + DTS-HD MA + AC3 I can play both 3 format of audio above, but if the movies file only has DTS-HD MA the moves i play has no sound. 

the emby server i run on raspberry, when i try to open that movies on iphone it’s can play as normally .

The LG TV will play the first supported audio track, so with TrueHD, DTS, AC3, if you select the DTS track it will always play the AC3 track.  It doesn't report this change so Emby will report that it is playing DTS, but the TV will actually play the next supported track, AC3 in this case.

And to prove this, play a file with a DTS track and an AC3 audio commentary, or just a DTS track (in which case you will get no audio)

19 hours ago, haohoang said:

if the movies file only has DTS-HD MA the moves i play has no sound.

• Thanks 1

haohoang
2 hours ago, SamES said:

The LG TV will play the first supported audio track, so with TrueHD, DTS, AC3, if you select the DTS track it will always play the AC3 track.  It doesn't report this change so Emby will report that it is playing DTS, but the TV will actually play the next supported track, AC3 in this case.

And to prove this, play a file with a DTS track and an AC3 audio commentary, or just a DTS track (in which case you will get no audio)

Thanks you, do we have any solution for this issue?

It's resolved for the next update to the app which will have the server convert the audio. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

haohoang
1 hour ago, Luke said:

It's resolved for the next update to the app which will have the server convert the audio. Thanks.

Thanks you, hope we can get update soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
jdennis187
On 5/10/2021 at 2:34 PM, Luke said:

We are working on getting our update released. Thanks.

Can you confirm this hasn't been released yet?

chef

I just came to mention that my TV doesn't play DTS audio, but Emby wants to Direct Play the item.

For now, I will add subtitles to the video and turn them on to force transcoding.

EDIT: adding .srt subtitles  for transcode.

Perhaps I lower the resolution down and that will force it to transcode?

So, when I dropped the bitRate to 10Mb/s it forced transcode. Normally, I can stream to my TV at 100Mb/s (that is the  LG Smart Tv's network cap... LG don''t even give you a 1Gb network connection LOL!)

Edited by chef

SamES

This probably a better option as it adds an AC3 track to the start of the track list as the default but preserves the DTS track for manual selection on supported devices.  This will allow DirectPlay without the need to convert the audio. Even when the next version of the app is eventually released, this is still a better option than having it convert on every playback and which may cause playback issues on some high bitrate content. 

• Thanks 1

chef

Here is an ffmpeg command that will encode an AC3 audio file and put it into your  mkv, without removing the DTS version.

This will  encode the first Audio file it in the list of audio files:

ffmpeg -i "YOUR_MOVIE_PATH.mkv" -map 0:v -map 0:a:0 -map 0:a -map 0 -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s copy -c:a:0 ac3 -b:a:0 640k "YOUR_MOVIE_PATH.mkv"

If the DTS audio file you want to encode is not the first one then:

ffmpeg -i "YOUR_MOVIE_PATH.mkv" -map 0:v -map 0:a:0 -map 0:a -map CHANGE_THIS_VALUE -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s copy -c:a:0 ac3 -b:a:0 640k "YOUR_MOVIE_PATH.mkv"

The audio files are a zero based index value.

In other words the first audio track is track 0, and the second is track 1... and so on.

you can find FFMPEG in  "Emby-Server/system" folder. CD into that folder and run the command line. 

At the end of the encoding, it will ask you if you want to replace the file. Say "Y" for yes.

But, hey, I'm not responsible for bad encodings, so maybe create a copy and then test it before writing over you movie file.

Good luck. To bad our friends at LG are weird and don't support DTS. I spend over a thousand dollars on my TV. Geesh!

Edited by chef

SamES

Thanks. 
Did you try this one in my link above? 

Go to your emby server system directory and find ffmpeg

Then at a command window use the following to ADD an AC3 track and make it the default track :-

ffmpeg.exe -i input.mkv -map 0:v -map 0:a:0 -map 0:a -map 0:s?  -c:v copy -c:s copy -c:a copy -c:a:0 ac3 -disposition:a:0 default -disposition:a:1 0 output.mkv

It copies all the existing tracks (original quality) and just adds an AC3 track, derived from the 1st Audio track.

This will work on any mkv file incl 4K - it will not touch the original 'input.mkv' file.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...