Accessing Emby on a secondary laptop

EkoOne
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

EkoOne

I'm new to Emby so if this has already been documented or answered I apologize, I searched but couldn't find a solution.

I installed Emby on a MBP and am using an external drive to store the media. Everything works great. The server/drive are in the attic and I can access Emby throughout the house from all my devices (tablets, phones, TV, Roku). Perfect.

The one aspect I can't figure out is how to access Emby from a secondary laptop. I have Emby installed but am unsure how to configure the network settings so it can "see" the media drive in the attic which is connected to the primary server/laptop. I assume it's possible, or am I mistaken?

Thanks.

EkoOne

Yes, I can sign-in to Emby on the secondary laptop but I need to point the Library path (on the secondary laptop) to the external drive and I'm not sure how to determine the path when the external drive is located elsewhere. Which in this case is plugged into the primary server/laptop located elsewhere in the house.

Okay next question is if you are using a different account.. Unless you setting up a server on the second one.. You should not have to do this. If you are using a different account.. You need to go the server machine upstairs and go to Access Settings for the account you are using.

EkoOne

I'm using the same account.

I haven't tried this but if I can't get it working the way I want I suppose I could use Emby Connect and and access the content that way as if I were connecting from outside the house and network. But I'd rather not if possible.

I don't believe Emby Connect actually works that way.. would not matter anyway..

You did say you can play this media on the server machine... and it is added to the Library...

EkoOne

Yes, the main server/laptop plays content just fine, as do all the other devices in the house except the secondary laptop.

Happy2Play
54 minutes ago, EkoOne said:

Yes, I can sign-in to Emby on the secondary laptop but I need to point the Library path (on the secondary laptop) to the external drive and I'm not sure how to determine the path when the external drive is located elsewhere. Which in this case is plugged into the primary server/laptop located elsewhere in the house.

Did you install Emby Server on two system?  As the web client just presents libraries already configure on the server.

Install and configure one server.

All clients connect to the server via its hostname or LANIP and port number.

Many need to see screenshots of exactly what you are referencing.

EkoOne

@Hxemby001

Yes I can play local media and stream online.

@Happy2Play

Yes, I installed the Emby server app on the secondary laptop. What I need help determing is the correct address, location (whatever the correct terminology is) of the primary server on my local network so the secondary machine can find my Libraries which at the moment it can't.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, EkoOne said:

@Hxemby001

Yes I can play local media and stream online.

@Happy2Play

Yes, I installed the Emby server app on the secondary laptop. What I need help determing is the correct address, location (whatever the correct terminology is) of the primary server on my local network so the secondary machine can find my Libraries which at the moment it can't.

So do you want to access the existing Emby setup or create a new one on the second laptop?

As for accessing the existing one, go to your original install and look at the LAN Access on the Dashboard.

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, EkoOne said:

I want to access the existing (original) Emby setup from the secondary laptop, not create a new one.

You can login to your original install and get to the Dashboard correct?

How did you connect (tablets, phones, TV, Roku)?

EkoOne

Yes I can access the originall install/Dashboard fine.

I installed the Emby (iOS or Roku) app on said device, signed-in to my (original) server via the device (Emby) app UI and that's it, I'm streaming from my server to my device. In fact I'm watching a movie on a tablet right now.

But obviously things work differently when trying to do that from another computer so that's what I'm trying to determine.

• Solution
Happy2Play
1 minute ago, EkoOne said:

Yes I can access the originall install/Dashboard fine.

All you need is your Dashboard In-Home (LAN) access url and put that in a browser on your second laptop.

EkoOne

@Happy2Play Thank you, that was a lot easier than I expected.

I was under the assumption that I had to manually set the Library path on the secondary machine to point towards the primary server.

• 2 years later...
seanbuff
5 hours ago, fuorigioco1971 said:

what if the secondary laptop is on ANOTHER house? with another network? 

You can setup remote connections for your Emby Server allowing you to access it from anywhere 🙂
https://emby.media/support/articles/Remote-Setup.html

Alternatively, you can try setting up a VPN so that both houses are on the same "virtual" network. HTH.

fuorigioco1971
On 5/6/2023 at 5:59 AM, seanbuff said:

You can setup remote connections for your Emby Server allowing you to access it from anywhere 🙂
https://emby.media/support/articles/Remote-Setup.html

Alternatively, you can try setting up a VPN so that both houses are on the same "virtual" network. HTH.

ok it worked with the external ip! thanks! 

well movies are showing this error message! TV series play ok. movies not. any ideas? 

20230507_113137.jpg

fuorigioco1971
2 hours ago, fuorigioco1971 said:

ok it worked with the external ip! thanks! 

well movies are showing this error message! TV series play ok. movies not. any ideas? 

20230507_113137.jpg

i found the problem disk with movies was temporarily out of order!false alarm

Edited by fuorigioco1971
  • Thanks 1