Subtitle backdrop won't go away

lastelement21

lastelement21

Recently have noticed that a grey background spanning the width of the screen is under subtitles.   Its extremely annoying.  There doesn't seem to be a way to disable it that I can find, am I missing something?  It's on pretty much all content, its not coming from the subtitle file, its being added by emby.

529447674_ScreenShot2021-04-23at1_18_04AM.thumb.png.c10bbdd7a0d3ac4e2a907e9f696cb32e.png588931825_ScreenShot2021-04-23at1_17_43AM.thumb.png.4af2c6420ace433bb53c57a3b0b935e0.png1258700523_ScreenShot2021-04-23at1_17_25AM.thumb.png.e06cd8594bb323396fc4d5bb19b66453.png

lastelement21
6 hours ago, Hxemby001 said:

Try this...

SUBTITLE USER SETTINGS

04_23.2021_040533.jpg.388f8ec9df7152aedccd1e82c5678e1f.jpg

No impact on the bar when I change the drop shadow setting, or size setting

Edited by lastelement21

lastelement21

Weird, I fired it up again 3 hours later and it was gone.  Maybe some lag on the application of the setting?

There is no option to control the background so it probably depends on what you were playing and how it was playing. So we'd have to look at an example. Thanks.

lastelement21
On 4/23/2021 at 3:49 PM, Luke said:

There is no option to control the background so it probably depends on what you were playing and how it was playing. So we'd have to look at an example. Thanks.

I've got it doing it again, so lemme take a look.   Its showing up under direct play mode in Chrome on MacOS, but is not showing up in Firefox on the same machine, from the same video content/SRT file, also direct playing.  I think Chrome on windows may not show it either, but I'm out of town atm so I can't check quickly.

Right, it's possible that Chrome on MacOS just doesn't support or allow the technique that we're using to hide the background. We'll have to look into that.

By the way have you tried it on MacOS 11.3?

Thanks.

• 5 months later...

Yea there's no way to style the native subtitles on MacOS as the browser just doesn't allow it. In the next release we've switched this over to our own rendering and that resolves this.

• 1 month later...

Good news on the new release. Can we please get an option for this rather than have it hard coded?

Also, is this possible to be overridden by custom CSS, and if yes, what's the CSS selector for it?

Lastly, is there a beta for the new release?

This dark background is making movies unwatchable for me :(

Edited by alexr

42 minutes ago, alexr said:

Good news on the new release. Can we please get an option for this rather than have it hard coded?

Also, is this possible to be overridden by custom CSS, and if yes, what's the CSS selector for it?

Lastly, is there a beta for the new release?

This dark background is making movies unwatchable for me :(

Hi, it will be an option, and beta instructions can be found on our website, if available for your server platform:

https://emby.media/download

• 7 months later...

its August 2022 and I have the same issue too

I never faced this issue before on Chrome MacOs.

Not a subtitle file issue, from my testing.

7 hours ago, icode said:

never mind I installed the Beta version. Works like a charm 🙂

Hi, what version did you install?

On 8/5/2022 at 9:23 PM, icode said:

The latest beta version. 
I hope it works for you too. 

What version number is that?