FYI - Qlocker ransom attack on Qnap

Happy2Play

One2Go

People are furious with QNAP, turned out they had hard coded admin credential into the Hybrid Backup Service and that plus other leaky apps were used to gain admin privileges on the NAS. The threads on the QNAP forum and the Bleeping Computer are buzzing with complaints and solutions. One of such is catch the password while the 7z process is running another is use a program to recover the deleted files which have been zipped and password protected. I am not effected but so pissed at QNAP that I am considering getting a Synology and drop this pile of junk with software that has holes like Swiss cheese.

You should have been around with Windows 95/NT going forward ( even Linux, IBM, and Apple ). Lot of work went into configuring and securing the machines that goes well beyond the basic. Every program that was installed had to be manually checked and protected. If that were to happen today.. WHEW... I don't even wanna know.

Windows 7 sort of started a new approach it got better moving forward, but even developers had to change things.

One2Go

I was around when Windows 3.0 started and for a long time my favorite was Windows for Workgroups. So yes they were a biatch.

Wow.. I used 3.1 once.. with floppies.. OH.. and the first system I seen was an Osborne Portable with Rotary dial/pulse DialUP connection ;) - LOL I learn to write SYNTAX on a Commodore64 a few years later.. I remember those days as long ago as they were.. I was SOOO not aware of what was lurking in my future.