Emby interface on AppleTV

raevengel

raevengel

Hi,

I'm curious about the  UI interface of Emby on Apple TV. I've looked for videos which might show this but I can't find any. I know that Roku and Shield have some differences once you get past the main page (such as options available in Playlist playback and the Playlists layout, also additional options buttons, etc). I'm curious, is the Apple TV layout more similar to Shield or Roku? I would be hugely appreciative of any info/thoughts shared as I don't have a way of trying this out myself.

Lastly, what is Infuse on Apple TV and how difficult is it to use? I've seen a lot of recommendations about it and was curious. Thanks so much!

vdatanet
1 hour ago, raevengel said:

Lastly, what is Infuse on Apple TV and how difficult is it to use? I've seen a lot of recommendations about it and was curious. Thanks so much!

Infuse is a video player for Apple TV. It supports Emby. Since the Emby player is limited, I use it and it works great. But using Infuse you can only play video.

• Like 1

Hi. The functionality should be fairly similar across the apps although the Apple TV has a distinct Apple "style" of interface.

raevengel

@Luke, sort of. :) Can you answer, does the AppleTV interface have the extra options in Playlists (like "Play all from here). Shield has that, and Roku doesn't (or didn't a few weeks ago when we last used it). 

vdatanet
13 hours ago, raevengel said:

@Luke, sort of. :) Can you answer, does the AppleTV interface have the extra options in Playlists (like "Play all from here). Shield has that, and Roku doesn't (or didn't a few weeks ago when we last used it). 

https://streamable.com/otrfd0

Long press action is not implement. If you select one item from the playlist to play, is equivalent a "Play all from here"

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

raevengel
On 4/23/2021 at 1:57 PM, vdatanet said:

https://streamable.com/otrfd0

Long press action is not implement. If you select one item from the playlist to play, is equivalent a "Play all from here"

Amazing! Thank you so much for sharing that file. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. I really, really appreciate you taking the time to do that and also to share that it doesn't have the long-press secondary menu - but can get along without it. It makes sense that play in the playlist is automatically "play from here". :)

• 1 month later...
raevengel

Hello Again!

I've been away due to the need to travel and have two more surgeries. However, on the way home I was able to get the Apple TV I've been waiting on. :)

I was able to find the interface as described in Playlists in Emby but what I can't seem to find is how to repeat a playlist. I've looked anywhere I could think of but haven't found it yet. Any info/ideas on how to repeat a Playlist? We literally use them daily (or nightly) and need them to be able to repeat. 

Thanks so much in advance for any help on this! I really appreciate it. :)

Waldemar Jost
On 4/21/2021 at 2:16 PM, ebr said:

Hi. The functionality should be fairly similar across the apps although the Apple TV has a distinct Apple "style" of interface.

Hi @all. So i think that is the answer for my question... I installed an emby client to a friend on a samsung tizen system for the first time, yesterday ... i wondered how much better the interface looks like in comparison to the interface on the tvos of apple... what do you think, would it be possible in the future? On the tizen the theme has the name "Emby Theater Interface" right? On which clients i can use this interface? 

On 6/18/2021 at 4:04 AM, Waldemar Jost said:

Hi @all. So i think that is the answer for my question... I installed an emby client to a friend on a samsung tizen system for the first time, yesterday ... i wondered how much better the interface looks like in comparison to the interface on the tvos of apple... what do you think, would it be possible in the future? On the tizen the theme has the name "Emby Theater Interface" right? On which clients i can use this interface? 

Hi, are you saying you want the Apple TV UI on other devices, or the Emby Theater UI on Apple TV?

Either way it should not matter as our end goal is to make them all look the same anyway, or as close as possible.

Waldemar Jost
15 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, are you saying you want the Apple TV UI on other devices, or the Emby Theater UI on Apple TV?

Either way it should not matter as our end goal is to make them all look the same anyway, or as close as possible.

The second one... the envy Theater ui in Apple TV... i would prefer. 

11 hours ago, Waldemar Jost said:

The second one... the envy Theater ui in Apple TV... i would prefer. 

• 5 weeks later...
Waldemar Jost
On 6/22/2021 at 6:20 AM, Luke said:

I don't really know what you are trying to tell me with your last answer. But just so we're clear, I have the latest Emby version installed on a Samsung Tizen TV and this is what it looks like now:

1.png

I would much prefer to get such a view on the Apple Tv as well. On the MacOS app it already works...  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waldemar Jost said:

I don't really know what you are trying to tell me with your last answer. But just so we're clear, I have the latest Emby version installed on a Samsung Tizen TV and this is what it looks like now:

1.png

I would much prefer to get such a view on the Apple Tv as well. On the MacOS app it already works...  

OK yes a horizontal home screen option is always possible for the future. thanks.

• Like 2

Waldemar Jost
13 hours ago, Luke said:

OK yes a horizontal home screen option is always possible for the future. thanks.

If that were possible, that would be really nice! 

• 2 weeks later...
speedingcheetah

How do you bring up the "stats for nerds" to see real time playback stats on the Apple TV?

Also, is there any difference in using the "Enable MPV" option?  Apple native player (whatever that is) vs the MPV?

Just got a Apple TV, and comparing it to my Nvidia Shield...surprised to see a far more...basic...Emby app, thought it does look much more sleek and polished, just lacks many of the Android Tv functions and settings I am used to.

speedingcheetah
On 7/31/2021 at 12:35 AM, speedingcheetah said:

How do you bring up the "stats for nerds" to see real time playback stats on the Apple TV?

Also, is there any difference in using the "Enable MPV" option?  Apple native player (whatever that is) vs the MPV?

Just got a Apple TV, and comparing it to my Nvidia Shield...surprised to see a far more...basic...Emby app, thought it does look much more sleek and polished, just lacks many of the Android Tv functions and settings I am used to.

??

vdatanet
On 7/31/2021 at 7:35 AM, speedingcheetah said:

There's no stats for nerds on the Apple TV.

Apple TV native player is very limited in the supported formats. The MPV player supports more formats, such as HEVC, but does not support dynamic range and frame rate match. Depending on your means, one or the other may be more suitable, or perhaps neither. 😟

Emby for Android TV is the flagship of Emby apps and the app for Apple is a far cry from Android TV.

speedingcheetah
10 hours ago, vdatanet said:

There's no stats for nerds on the Apple TV.

Apple TV native player is very limited in the supported formats. The MPV player supports more formats, such as HEVC, but does not support dynamic range and frame rate match. Depending on your means, one or the other may be more suitable, or perhaps neither. 😟

Emby for Android TV is the flagship of Emby apps and the app for Apple is a far cry from Android TV.

Well, sad to see..as it is the opposite for the other software i use for TV. Channels DVR is flagship on Apple TV and their main development focus. Has more features than Android TV version, but the devs are slowly bringing it to the same level as on the Apple.

I don't see why there can't be stats for playback with Emby on Apple TV...the aforementioned Channels DVR software uses MPV as its player and it has the option to display the MPV player stats OSD. Emby can use MPV, so they should be able to add it as a option to the playback GUI, or at least, a hot key or something.

I have disabled MPV in Channels cause it just does a super fast FF/RR and not a 10 sec skip forward or back when i press on the Dpad buttons.

I have not had any issues with files not playing even not having MPV in Emby enabled, but i do not have any HEVC for HDR files, as of yet.

But i found this player called "Infuse" that connects to Emby and seems to kinda emulate the Emby app in functions, but just with a different UI that has its own quirks and limitations. But, I find the actual Emby app to more useable and functional UI, but the actual player aspect and live playback controls are far better with Infuse. I guess this Infuse app can play anything so they claim.

I still use Emby for my small local media collection, I used to use it for my TV DVR as well, but since I dumped cable tv few years ago, and moved to streaming via TVE the networks I watch, Emby sadly, as of yet, still does not support TVE as a native tuner. But at least it does well for random IPTV i sometimes use when i need to get a channel out of my country for some reason.

I hope the devs of Emby will continue to improve and add features to the Apple TV.  I find it a overall more polished and smooth system where the app quality is generally of a higher standard than Android TV has been...so many trashy and unstable apps on Android TV (and plenty of underpowered streaming dongles or actual TVs that try to run the OS on weak hardware).  Even if Emby had to charge a few $ for their app on Apple TV, if it was to the level of the Android TV version, it would be worth it.

• Like 1

We don't want to just throw in mpv stats. We want to do our stats, and we have to look at how to get it done with both players. We will get there. Thanks for the feedback.

speedingcheetah
49 minutes ago, Luke said:

We don't want to just throw in mpv stats. We want to do our stats, and we have to look at how to get it done with both players. We will get there. Thanks for the feedback.

I find MPV stats far more informative and detailed, like how it shows more details about frame rate, dropped frames etc, more info than Emby stats does not show.

But, i get how you would want to have it show your stats, cause there are a few items that are Emby exclusive info that are useful to know, like transcoding status etc.

• 1 year later...

I'd love to see the Apple TV app take after the iOS app's styling. For Emby, this is my favourite frontend, the styling is great for content pages and the homepage, library tabs are clean and uncluttered. 

A port of this frontend for Apple TV and other platforms would be great (If not already done.) The current Apple TV frontend is functional but could be brought up to par with the others. 

• Agree 1