PC serving Emby restarting ever frequently

ShaoMcLulz

ShaoMcLulz

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been answered another way but I've searched and not had luck.

- I've included two logs I found, please let me know what else is required to help me.

My main PC serves my media, usually on a chromecast but often directly to my android phone. Among other unrelated issues, just recently streaming to my phone on the home network Emby has made my PC randomly restart while watching. Any idea on the cause and fix?

embyserver-63754622449.txt embyserver.txt

Hello ShaoMcLulz,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Hi, if this is a windows computer take a look in Windows Event Viewer and see if there are any events listed for Emby.

If so please post screenshots of these events in addition to what Abobader posted above.

ShaoMcLulz

Not to sound silly but would they be listed/named something other than Emby? Can't find anything on the list for Emby.

Critical.PNG

Error.PNG

Hi.  Why do you think Emby is causing the re-start?  This seems highly unlikely to me.  Your image is too small but are there errors at the time the restart occurs?  I would suspect a hardware driver.

We can't really see much from those pictures.

What I would do is check each and every disc in your system for errors.  You can do this at the command line with CHKDSK or in File Manager by right clicking a disc, choosing TOOLS menu then CHECK button.

After checking/repairing any disc issues make sure you are up to date on all Windows Updates including all device drivers.
Can you perform these tasks and let us know how you make out with this?

pwhodges

The logs show event IDs 6008: "unexpected shutdown" and 41: "unexpected restart".

I would check that your power supply is sound, that your fans are all clean and working (overheating can do this), and that the cpu fan is properly attached.

A bad driver is another possibility, but that would more often be associated with particular actions, and so might seem less random.

In any event, this is nothing to do with Emby - it's a hardware or driver issue.

Paul

ShaoMcLulz
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Why do you think Emby is causing the re-start?  This seems highly unlikely to me.  Your image is too small but are there errors at the time the restart occurs?  I would suspect a hardware driver.

My computer is normally amazingly stable and never BSOD on me, despite having played 70 so hours of Cyberpunk haha. Hardware health is not the issue in this case. The reason I think that is it's happened, each time after watching about 25 minutes of an episode with zero other workload. Times in the reporting are correct.

Sorry about the smaller screen shot. 

The chkdsk did find an error with a different file/folder in the media drive, which is now report as being fixed. I'll report back is another restart happens tomorrow when I get the chance.

There was also a pending Windows update, which I have now completed.

critical error.PNG

Edited by ShaoMcLulz

pwhodges

Hmm.  OK, there is still the possibility of drivers.  Transcoding in Emby can press the video driver hard if you are doing it, and it's highly recommended to get the latest video driver from Intel or nVidia rather than relying on Windows update for them.

Paul

• Like 1

ShaoMcLulz
6 hours ago, Luke said:

Is windows fully up to date, along with all hardware drivers?

There was a new nvidia experience, but everything is now completely up to date. 

• Like 1

Since upgrading the Nvidia drivers and windows updates have you had any problem?

Just wondering short term results so far.