i can't playback live tv in WAN

wodaaa

Happy2Play
17 minutes ago, wodaaa said:

in my opinion, the app should be able to accept such a certificate by the user

That would be a Device issue not a Emby issue as it is the platform doing the rejection not Emby.

2 hours ago, wodaaa said:

Hi,

I have a Lenovo P2 with android 10 (lineage os), I deleted the cache of the app and it didn't matter.  also tried on another phone (samsung) with no success.

in the afternoon of my local time I will try to include logs from the media play attempt.

letsencrypt will be ok?  I have to read about it, how to use it in emby ... in my opinion, the app should be able to accept such a certificate by the user

After deleting the cache AND STILL using the self signed cert were you able to get the apps to play anything from Emby? Not just Live TV but any movies or tv shows?
If nothing plays you don't need to upload the logs as things are working as expected.

3 hours ago, wodaaa said:

letsencrypt will be ok?  I have to read about it, how to use it in emby ... in my opinion, the app should be able to accept such a certificate by the user

As Happy2Play said this isn't an Emby issue but a device OS issue.  The OS is doing exactly what it should do and fail the cert check.

The big IF.

If you don't plan on sharing your Emby server with anyone other than maybe your direct family you can "fix" this yourself but it's a bit of work.  For any OS you are using remotely you would need to setup that device/OS to except the self signed cert.  This is labor intensive and goes along with self signed certs.

As an Example for Android:
https://proxyman.io/blog/2020/09/Install-And-Trust-Self-Signed-Certificate-On-Android-11.html

That's just one example and there are other ways to do this and it's different for each device/platform.  You may even have to repeat this on device updates.

See a certificate provides a level of trust to the OS that the other side of wire is trusted.  This can only happen really two ways and that is with a legit certificate that can be looked up on the Internet to verify the trust relationship (this fails for self signed) OR you need to "patch" each and every device used to manually provide this trust to the self signed certificate you generate yourself.

It may not be possible to do this (self signed override) for every device you own that could be used externally.  Normally phones and Android you can do this with but TV sets, Rokus and other dedicated devices meant for streaming may not provide a way to do this.

The alternative is using a free certificate from let's encrypt or other place, but this will require you to have a domain name that is yours and already setup. This isn't hard but takes a few steps.  The nice thing about this is that you then have a secured custom domain such as wodaa.tv or wodaamedia.com or what ever you register.

wodaaa

Thank you for proposing a solution I use the server for my own purposes so consider adding a certificate to my phone or going to letsencrypt, after deleting the cache again, I got a message with my certificate that I had to accept, but it still didn't solve my problem.

Another possible work around if you have the know how and ability is to setup and run a VPN.
Many higher-end routers can be setup to do this. Can also be done via Windows as well.

Then you could remove Internet access from Emby and only allow local connections.  If using your Android phone when on the Internet you just establish a VPN connection back to the house and have access to everything locally including Emby.  Android phones have built in software for VPN.

The easiest way is still a domain and proper cert however. :)

wodaaa

ok at the beginning I would like to thank everyone for their time and for solving the problem.  After adding the Letsencrypt certificate, I can play live tv again via emby via WAN also thanks a lot 😉

• Like 1