[Issue] Emby for Android TV crashed on HarmonyOS TV

Apollo2021

Apollo2021

Emby client for Android TV (v1.8.55g)crashed in Huawei HarmonyOS TV when startsup.

It seems that the device might not have interface at URL content://android.media.tv/channel, so IllegalArgumentException was thrown.

I can find the solution for same issue in Kodi.
"[Android] fixed crash on harmony os TV. xbmc#19133 #19171"    https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/19171

Please check and fix it, thank you.

Hi, the devs here may be able to work around this but this appears to be a HarmonyOS leanback issue which should get fixed at the source so it works correctly for all apps.

So you may want to report to them as well.

Thanks

Apollo2021

Thanks for your quick reply.

I think HarmonyOS is different with Android, so it's difficult to add leanback or TIF support even if I try report the issue  to them.

( Actually some user already reported this issue in the offical forum  one years ago)

Anyway,  the Emby is important for me to explore and play the media in NAS. 

Could you please fix this issue in Emby side as KODI ?   Thanks.

Edited by Apollo2021

Hi.  I think we may have already fixed this a while ago (but it isn't in release yet).  Can you please try the beta of the app?

Apollo2021

I tried the Beta version 2.0.06 on my device.  The crash issue when start up has been fixed.

But when I switched the Tab in Home screen,  the app crashed frequently. 

I didn't test in other  device.  Anyway,  i will test if the stable release version is available.

Thanks a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
Apollo2021

Hi,

I tested the latest Android TV  release version (2.0.x).   The app always crahsed  when switch from  "Favorite" to "Home" tab.

I guess it is caused by access failure of  interface  like "URL content://android.media.tv/xxx".

BTW.  The mobile version  works well in my device.

8 hours ago, Apollo2021 said:

The app always crahsed  when switch from  "Favorite" to "Home" tab.

Hi.  Can you please send a log from the app right after restarting after that crash?

Thanks.

Apollo2021
On 5/8/2021 at 8:42 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  Can you please send a log from the app right after restarting after that crash?

Thanks.

Here is the log when crash happen.

“Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown URL content://android.media.tv/preview_program
    at android.content.ContentResolver.insert(ContentResolver.java:1840)
    at tv.emby.embyatv.integration.OreoChannelHelper.publishProgram(OreoChannelHelper.java:201)
    at tv.emby.embyatv.integration.OreoChannel.addNewProgram(OreoChannel.java:37)"

Apollo2021
On 5/10/2021 at 9:46 PM, ebr said:

Thanks we'll try to trap that.

Hello,  ebr

Will you fix this issue in next release?  Or more logs is needed to locate the root cause?

Best Regards.

13 hours ago, Apollo2021 said:

Hello,  ebr

Will you fix this issue in next release?  Or more logs is needed to locate the root cause?

Best Regards.

This particular issue should already be addressed in the latest beta but there very well could be more on these devices that don't fully support the Android TV spec.

Apollo2021
On 5/18/2021 at 10:26 PM, ebr said:

This particular issue should already be addressed in the latest beta but there very well could be more on these devices that don't fully support the Android TV spec.

Hi, I tested the Android TV beta version 2.0.19,  the  crash still happen when switch from  "Favorite" to "Home" tab.

This is a key scenario, could you please check it again?

Thanks.