Live TV randomly stops

roberto188

roberto188

I've been having this issue for a while on all of my Roku's where after a random period of time, the live TV stream (direct streamed) just stops and kicks me back to the guide. I have finally enabled debugging logging on the sever. Attached are both the server and transcode logs. The transcode starts at 8:53:10 and quits via "command q" at 12:56:08. It doesn't seem that there were any errors and there was no input on the roku (ie, no one hit a key on the remote). Any ideas?

embyserver-63754435649.txt ffmpeg-remux-922ba9ee-4123-426d-aefa-7cd2bb159793_1.txt

This is likely Roku. They have in their infinite wisdom decided that at 4 hours if you have not interacted with your remote that it should stop streaming. They call it the Bandwidth Saver.

Once you disable the Bandwidth Saver in your Roku settings this problem should stop occuring.

Settings >> Network >> Bandwidth Saver ( OFF )

The "are you still watching?" prompt in the Roku app has logic to never prompt (or stop) while watching Live TV unless it is over 5 hours. This is how I am sure it is the Roku itself doing this with Bandwidth Saver. It happens shortly after 4 hours. 3 minutes after which is likely when you set down the remote.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

roberto188

Yeah that seemed to be the problem! I couldn’t pinpoint this myself because the streams always terminated what appeared to be at random times. I guess just hitting the volume button on the remote is enough to reset the four hour timer which is why I was probably able to get longer streams. In any case this fix the problem thanks so much greatly appreciate it.