Device not seeing Emby DLNA

Scrums

Scrums

I don't understand why I can access Emby on port 8096 from my computer, but neither my TV nor my Humax box can see the Emby DLNA server. I have set up my NAS with a firewall rule which allows all computers and TVs and phones to access all ports, all these devices are in a certain IP range. As a result my NAS and therefore Emby has no access to the Internet, which is my intention. I have switched off all the access to TV DB, media DB et cetera. That way I can control the meta data which I store in NFO files and JPG files.

So why do the computers work but not the TVs/media boxes? I have turned on DLNA logging but cannot see any communication from the boxes or TVs.

Actually I have just tested the LG TV which normally uses the Emby application, and that sees the DLNA server. But the Viera TV does not see it and neither does the Humax box.

Edited by Scrums

rbjtech

DLNA has nothing to do with the ports emby is using - they are different services.

Standard DLNA broadcast uses Port UDP 1900 (Broadcast) - which needs special configuration to allow transversal across vlan's because DLNA was never designed to be routed.  You'll need to use DLNA reflectors which frankly are a bit of a nightmare.

My advice would be to put the media clients on the same network as Emby/DLNA server - and then just allow those devices that need internet access their own pinhole.  This is a better network design anyway, as the emby traffic does not have to traverse a firewall all the time.  ie implement network segmentation, keeping media on a 'media' network, IoT on an IoT network and core/private stuff (PC's) on the most secure network for example.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Scrums

All my devices are on the same network. The Emby server Is on the NAS. I don't want the NAS, or any applications on it, to access the Internet, hence the firewall rule. I'm not stupid but I don't understand what you're saying really. I don't want the media on a different network to my computers as this would be totally impractical. That would mean the NAS would be inaccessible by the computers as I understand your suggestion. Which in my opinion would not be a good network design.

And I can't see how what you're saying explains why the LG TV (again on the same network) can see the DLNA server, but the Viera and Humax cannot…

Emby Server and Clients as well as many devices won't function well without Internet.  These are streaming devices/services and that usually entails having access to the Internet these days.

What you should do is what @rbjtech advised and segment your network based on Internet access needs and NOT treat the whole network as one segment.

• Sad 1

rbjtech

@Scrums Ah - I can see the confusion lol - you have hijacked the OP's original thread - when they were talking about separate VLAN's ... that's what I thought you were talking about ...

I don't have time to answer your question properly today - but it's good forum etiquette to start your own thread if you have an unrelated problem so I would start a new one and let the OP's thread continue to discuss vlan's ... ;)

• Thanks 1

This is confusing as your issues isn't aligned with the OPs post/issue.

Can you start your own thread specific to your issue and need?

rbjtech

@Scrums

Now you have your own thread ;) (thanks @Happy2Play) we can try and help you.

I'm curious what fw rule you applied on the NAS - did you also include all the DLNA UDP Ports ?

Does the NAS firewall have any sort of logging so you can see which ports are getting blocked ?

Remember your emby and dlna requests will be incoming into the NAS, so make sure you have the direction correct.

A quick way to test if it is 100% a firewall issue, is to simply allow any:any for a short test. 

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
martincom

You may want to check your router configuration parameters for Upnp.  DLNA utilizes Upnp to broadcast/receive discovery messages between components.  Most routers have UpNp settings that will impact that.

Edited by martincom