Jittery Video Playback on Desktop Client

danielk23
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

danielk23

I'm using the desktop client on an Intel NUC which also hosts the embyserver and it's started recently giving a jittery playback as though it's dropping video frames causing jerky movements. I can't see any obvious settings that are "wrong" that could be causing this. Indeed using the desktop client on other devices it works perfectly fine. I've even reinstalled the client entirely on that affected device and still experiencing the same issue.

server: Version 4.6.0.39 beta

Desktop client: 3.0.15

While there is no crashing behaviour etc, the jerkiness of the video playback leaves watching video on this specific device impossible as it's unwatchable in this state.

Any suggestions/help greatly appreciated.

What type of media are you trying to playback?

Without more information it's rather hard to speculate. If you could provide the support info as per this post it would help greatly.

danielk23

its variety of video files, mp4, mkv, avi, pretty much any video playback of any type is having the issue. Source for the files is a synology diskstation on 1gb network plugged into same switch as the NUC hosting emby server/client

danielk23

server.log from the server attached, note this issue only occurs using desktop client from this particular device, using desktop client other devices works fine, so unsure if the server.log will show anything relevant.embyserver (2).txt

no errors displayed in the UI, best description i can provide of the error is above. let me know if i'm missing anything else

What's the name of the media being payed back?  Is there also an ffmpeg file associated with this media file in the log area?

danielk23

for this specific example it is Marvels.Agents.of.S.H.I.E.L.D.S02E15.HDTV.x264-ASAP.mp4 however I believe it's direct play as no ffmpeg transcoding files being generated.

danielk23

Hi Luke

it's every video i've tried recently. Playing the exact same videos in the store version of ET works fine, however i'm currently having a different issue there where the 10foot interface isn't behaving and i can't navigate using the remote control at all. So i'm currently stuck between using ET desktop which has the jittery playback, or the ET store which means i have to use the mouse to navigate around :)

Regards

I didn't see that in the log at all.

Can you start over and do this again.  Check the log timestamp to see if an ffmpeg log is generated as well for playback.

danielk23

Hi Cayars

The metadata for that episode shows the name as "One Door Closes"

I can see it in the log i uploaded earlier showing timestamp:

2021-04-19 16:50:11.375 Info SessionManager: Playback start reported by app Emby for Windows 1.1.346.0 playing One Door Closes. Started at 258 ms

Can confirm no ffmpeg transcoding is occuring either then or now. The dashboard in emby servers shows "direct playing" for it.

• Solution
Happy2Play

Almost sounds like the hardware acceleration issue.

Is this option still set to Auto in ET?  Have you tried changing it?  Or maybe Refresh Rate Switching.  User icon-Video

• Thanks 1

danielk23

thanks Happy2Play, forcing the output from auto to gpu has smoothed it out no end. My wife will be eternally grateful to be able to use a remote again to navigate! :)

• Like 1