Resume playback Android TV(External player)

sm07

Hi, can you please confirm if resume playback is supported on Emby Android TV app (Version 2.0.05) when playing with external player (MX Player Pro)? Every time I click on resume it plays the media from the beginning. If possible please explain what setting needs to be enabled for it to work. Thanks

Hi. No, we do not support resume with external players.

Why do you feel you need to use an external player?

I find playback on external players to be rock solid and almost no issues with codecs but have to mention that internal player has certainly improved with the updates. Thanks for your reply.

• 3 weeks later...
coolashish

hi, the emby player is quite laggy in my Mi qled 75inch tv for 4k videos with emby default video player, though it works perfectly fine when using VLC as external player, but the only issue is that we cannot resume our played movies. I think emby should provide resume for external players too, as sometimes users are forced to use external player due to various reasons.

1 minute ago, coolashish said:

the emby player is quite laggy

Hi.  Can we please look at a specific example of that?  And also, please define exactly what "laggy" means?

Thanks.

coolashish

laggy while playing the 4k movies, fastforward works very slow and the audio is also not synced well. Everything seems to be sluggish. there is no such issue when using VLC as external player.

Video details in my example file

Title - 4K HEVC
Codec - HEVC
Profile - Main 10
Level - 150
Resolution - 3840x1608
Aspect Ratio - 160:67
Interlaced - No
Framerate - 23.976
Bitrate - 3,736 kbps
Video Range - HDR
Color Primaries - bt2020
Color Space - bt2020nc
Color Transfer - smpte2084
Bit Depth - 10 bit
Pixel Format - yuv420p10le
Reference Frames - 1

Is the file direct playing on the TV?

What information do you see if you bring up Stats for Nerds during playback using the cog icon?

coolashish

Here is the stats. When we fast forward there is quite delay like 4-5 seconds. Sound sync is fixed when we disable surround sound option in our TV OS.

IMG_20210508_190659.jpg

coolashish

Just for the info, the same movie runs fine without any issues in our android phone and in apple macbook. The issue is only in android tv.

OK so with that file Emby is just delivering the file as is and not modifying it in any way.

What TV is this?

Have you tried running Emby directly on the TV since it support Android TV?

coolashish

No, as we do not like to use 2 remotes. Our setup box has integrated cable tv and android box, so we have to only use 1 remote for OTT content and live TV, it is much more convenient. Earlier i used to have firestick 4k in my LG 55inch tv and there is no such issue, as firestick 4k is much more optimised and powerful.

This would be for diagnostic purposes only to see if it's TV or Tata Sky box related.

coolashish

There is slight lag (2-3 sec) while fast forwarding the same file on direct TV. But still not that smooth experience that we are having with VLC as an external player. There is some sort of lagginess/shuttering while playing.

Besides fast forwarding/rewinding how is the general playback in both your normal setup and also from Emby directly on the TV?

How are each of these "devices/tv" connected to your network?

coolashish

For 1080p videos the playback is smooth in both devices, the issue arises only in 4k videos. The normal playback is also shuttering sometimes besides fast forwarding (in 4K in both devices). All the devices are connected via wifi 5ghz band.

I asked about the connection method because it almost sounds like it's right on the edge of what the network can deliver.

coolashish

No not yet. I will go with vlc player as external player and sacrifice the resume feature in my TV. For other devices, the internal player works very well.

There is no way for us to get a progress point from an arbitrary external app.  However, a long time ago, we did build in some special handling for MX Player that may still work.

• 1 year later...
SuperCurro

Hi. I am an owner of a Sony tv with google Tv and as you may know emby native aplication doesnt support passthrough DTS. Finally VLC (and the native sony player) does so we have to use external app to get the sound. The only problem is that VLC doesnt sync the resume with Emby. Is there any chance to solve this issue?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2022 at 4:55 AM, SuperCurro said:

Hi. I am an owner of a Sony tv with google Tv and as you may know emby native aplication doesnt support passthrough DTS. Finally VLC (and the native sony player) does so we have to use external app to get the sound. The only problem is that VLC doesnt sync the resume with Emby. Is there any chance to solve this issue?

Hi, can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and let us know how that compares? 

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks !