ArgumentException: key

braigo64

braigo64

Been having some issues playing back TV recordings on a Roku. So been testing playing the files via emby in web browser. Ran into this error for one of the episodes I tried to play. Emby just sat spinning in the web browser. No ffmpeg log created. Relevant server log info attached. Any ideas?

embyserver.txt

Edited by braigo64

Are you playing from the recordings channel that is created by the serverwmc plugin?

braigo64

It's whatever is listed under My Media in the home screen. Then I click on the show, then I click on the episode.

image.png.9ecc4ccdbce0127df74f605524281e46.png

Edited by braigo64

Try adding your recordings as a regular emby library and play them that way. I'm not sure what the issue is with the serverwmc recordings library, so you'll just have to do that.

braigo64

Unfortunately, the usability changes are too drastic to use that work around. In the serverwmc library the recordings are all organized at it looks like this:

swmc_01.png.6b3a5a7ffc0970aa268450c7d72d0074.png

And then going into a folder looks like this:

swmc_02.png.11f3cb279b8203b3779d9c3316f09a44.png

Makes it easy to quickly find what we're looking for and to watch as episode name are actually listed.

Whereas putting them in a regular mixed library (since there are both movies and tv show recordings) it looks like this:

trecs.thumb.png.50215cdc74e822b4ee2c093d1c76a6c3.png

I don't see how the regular emby library can organize everything well since the recordings folder is structured like this:

recordings.png.f7874071e260329f3929f25e1465ecc0.png

So is there a way to make sure all recordings actually play while still being able to easily navigate and view the recordings?

If you were to reorganize those files into a supported tv folder structure then you could import that into emby as a TV library.

braigo64

WMC is our main way of viewing TV recordings. To view recordings when in other rooms we're using Emby.  It would be great if the ServerWMC plugin could be updated to fix those issues as I don't suspect there are any plans to support the WMC folder structure since WMC is dead.

Why not just use something like a file renaming tool to do a quick one-time reorganizing of your old wmc recordings? 

This will allow you to greatly simplify your setup and be able to just use a regular emby library.

braigo64

What would the files be renamed to that would make them fit a regular emby library? There are new recordings each day so the file rename would have to be smart enough to be automatic and know how to handle every file that may come up otherwise manual adjustments will be too many and a non-starter.

braigo64

Thanks, but those just describe the standard way of implementing file names for movie or tv libraries which I already know.  It doesn't help with a solution to getting my recording folder to work in Emby and WMC at the same time. The serverwmc plugin is the most logical solution, but getting a recording to actually play in it is hit or miss. So unless that plugin gets updated I guess I've reached a dead end.

Given that your library is stored in a format that came from what is now dead software, don't you think there would be a lot of benefits into re-organizing it into a more commonly used structure?

braigo64

My music, movies, and tv are organized in that commonly used structure. My recordings are not because I continue to use that dead software as the primary means to watch those recordings. Have been using it for over a decade and will continue to as that is the easiest way to do so.  WMC is where we watch Live tv and all our recordings. The recordings are all organized within WMC itself so its just a matter of find what to watch, watch it, and delete it.  If we want to watch owned movies or tv we go into emby.

To watch recordings in a room that does not have WMC we wanted to use Emby and the serverwmc plugin does that for us, but it seems to be hit or miss in what recordings it will actually play.  To restructure the recordings (which is a very dynamic library as things are constantly deleted/added) without a completely "set it and forget" automated method is too much effort for little payoff if I have to constantly fiddle with it.

Try importing it into emby using the home videos content type and then the flat wmc structure will be displayed as is.