Emby started to transcode everything for apparently no reason. It's causing hitching / pausing.

Mkilbride

Mkilbride

I'm on  4.6.0.38-beta.

It worked fine this morning. I tried restarting my PC, my net. One of my friends was using it, it kept pausing for them despite no network congestion. So I restarted Emby. Nothing,  then my PC, nothing. Then I tried it myself, on an out of network device on my phone...and it was transcoding files that just earlier it could Direct Play.

Literally -nothing- has changed since then. I can't pinpoint anything.

System is a 5900X, with a 3080 RTX and 32GB of RAM. Windows 10.

I attached a few logs. These files used to direct play...but now are transcoding for some reason and I think it's related to why stuff is freezing.

ffmpeg-transcode-02db771a-e407-40b1-a838-acd9ec185553_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-bf3d8770-6140-4327-8bef-bfd726489174_1.txt

Happy2Play

You would appear to have a 7Mbps limit set and both examples exceed that bitrate so they were transcoded.

&VideoBitrate=6808000&AudioBitrate=192000

&TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

Mkilbride

I have a limit of 14.5Mbps set.   That said, usually when it happens, if I click the little "Info" icon, it'll say why it was transcoded. Neither App nor Server gave any reason this time around.

Also the ones my outside user have no mention of limit.  They transcoded because of subtitles format.

I just tried it on my tablet via Wireless. Stranger results. The file played...DirectPlay. Subtitles are enabled - but not showing. WiFi on on my phone it direct plays.

I have no idea why this is happening. My friend was watching  plenty yesterday and now today everything freezes for her, and me if I don't use my in-home WiFi.  It's not even a bit rate thing, it simply freezes 3 seconds in.

Now here is her log. Yes, it transcoded due to subtitles  - but that's normal. Episodes we played yesterday  do not play today without the issue.

ffmpeg-transcode-93b5a926-c1f4-4c9f-a66d-cf6ed30a62e5_1.txt

Edited by Mkilbride

Hi, It's transcoding plenty fast enough so that isn't the problem.

Are you having this issue with multiple different files or just this particular media?
What happens if subtitles are not used by your friend?

You have a 7 mbps limit set somewhere, whether it's on the server globally, the user permissions, or the user has set the quality in the app settings.