Shield - Trailers without sound

JanneKah
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

JanneKah

Hello everyone,

I already searched the forum for this issue but could not find anything. I enabled "Play Trailers" before watching a movie and it works. The only thing that doesn't work is sound. The trailers are always played without sound but only on my Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019). The trailers sound work on Chrome and on my Android phone using the Emby App. 

Once the movie starts, there is sound even on my Shield.

Emby Server v4.5.4.0

Emby App on Nvidia Shield v1.8.55g

On a sidenote: I also enabled playing themes while browsing (I guess it's supposed to play a tv shows main theme when browsing that show) but that also does not work but this goes for all of my devices (not working on Shield nor Phones Android App nor Chrome).

edit: The Shields signal is passed through a AV-Receiver (Denon) to my TV. No matter if its in standby only (so the TV speakers are being used for sound output) or turned on (so the 5.1 system is used for sound output) - no trailer sound but movie sound. And another thing: It used to work about a month ago when I started fresh with emby. No changes since then though. It just stopped working on my Shield.

Edited by JanneKah

That's strange.  I've seen anything like this reported before.

If you go to a movie that uses YouTube for a trailer (ie like Top Gun) does this work?

Any sound problems with any other apps you have installed such as Youtube?

Do you have any other clients to test on to help us narrow down the issue?

JanneKah

Hi @cayars and thank you for your reply. I narrowed it down and it's definitely not an emby problem. I usually don't use the Shields Youtube App but I tried last night and sound doesn't work there either. Actually no other app works with sound on my Shield, the only exception is when I play a locally saved media file in emby. Seems like it's a Shield problem that exists for quite a while now. Restarting the Shield works, at least for a while. 

• Solution

If you have another HDMI cable try switching out the cables.

If you see this keep happening try hooking your Shield TV up to a different TV and see if it's a shield or TV issue.

BTW, is your HDMI cable direct to a TV or soundbar/receiver?

JanneKah

I'll try another HDMI cable if the problem comes up again. After restarting the Shield the problem is gone but that seems to be a temporary solution only for most users. I found many other threads about this problem. For some another HDMI actually worked so I'll try that too.

My setup is: Shield----Denon X1200W AVR-----Sony Bravia

Any chance you could link to those other threads with no sound in trailers?  Happy to take a look at them to see what you might have in common.

7 hours ago, JanneKah said:

My setup is: Shield----Denon X1200W AVR-----Sony Bravia

Make sure your Shield isn't powered up before your AVR.

JanneKah

Seems like it was the HDMI cable which is odd since it worked for a while and then suddenly didn't anymore until a complete Shield reboot. Worked again for a bit then stopped. I switch to another HDMI and it works now. Thank you @cayars.

@ebrThank you. I do but it wasn't the problem. I'm glad it's solved. I enjoy trailers before a movie more than I thought I would. I never used this option during my plex times but gave it a try with Emby and it's a nice feature. That's why I was a bit annoyed when the sound didn't work anymore but now everything is fine.

• Like 1

Super, glad you got this fixed!

Thanks for updating us on your status.