Special episodes showing up within season

CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

EDIT: SOLVED, it was yet again another issue between emby and tvdb api, I refreshed metadata on the special episodes and all is back to normal

Hi,

not a biggie but I'd like to fix this neverthless.

I have TWD complete series (all 10 seasons watched), Emby shows it as such, but Kodi shows 2 unwatched specials episodes within season 9

One of those special episode actually shows up both in specials and season 9

Those 2 unwatched episodes are in Specials folder.

How it appears in Emby:

image.png.ceaf4d382217261d682a254b6265f89d.pngimage.png.fd074b2b65f81c1a510ae467ee0ec510.pngimage.png.c1726d83bfad417d53f4b4e7e54a641e.pngimage.png.dba5bb68bc8813d5d63843358af6da7e.png

How it appears in Kodi:

image.thumb.png.61c81ec905092b275eb773d26ff10063.pngimage.thumb.png.35419bcaf1723154a263dbd8356e41b8.png

image.thumb.png.44cedc7200ed5d90bf96e281b5eae811.png

How they appear in file explorer:

image.png.b54eb31796745a831126a7eefafb796d.pngimage.png.890ce193614a30dc87336ce48b041a42.png

Edited by CharleyVarrick
  • Like 1

CharleyVarrick

I got lucky with The Walking Dead, but I have discovered a similar issue with Star Trek: Discovery and for this one refreshing metadata does not cut it.

10 specials episodes

Seasons in Emby

image.png.6bbfafc3783a2fed9b155cf8dc635c39.png

Specials season in Kodi

image.thumb.png.b093eb0656aa7355e58099c56c69b64e.png

Season 1 in kodi shows 8 specials episodes before actual season 1's

image.thumb.png.654ab73917322628150ef8336ecbb0c2.png

Season 2 in kodi shows same 8 specials episodes before actual season 2's

image.thumb.png.d86ad51b7a3620b218ac56027bcaad40.png

In File Ex

image.png.cfb97128ced728ef7ae1500c95faea32.png

image.thumb.png.cf5cc5bfd5015b766736596d94fb47c5.png

CharleyVarrick
4 hours ago, Luke said:

How does the web app compare?

All good in Emby web; the 10 specials episodes appears only in Specials season, and seasons 1 & 2 only show their respectives episodes.

BaukeZwart

Have you checked the season and episode numbering in the NFO files?
I have seen some weird issues recently in Kodi that turned out to be caused by the numbering in the NFO was not being the same as in the file name.
In my case both season and episode where set to -1 in the NFO. In Emby everything looked OK.

For me it started when I changed the primary metadata provider to tmdb. I haven't seen any new issues for the last week, so the tmdb api seems to be behaving now.

Edited by BaukeZwart
  • Like 1

quickmic

Have you check the Kodi settings? There are several options for TV-Shows, also for specials.

Settings -> Media -> Videos

CharleyVarrick
7 minutes ago, BaukeZwart said:

I have seen some weird issues recently in Kodi that turned out to be caused by the numbering in the NFO was not being the same as in the file name.
In my case both season and episode where set to -1 in the NFO. In Emby everything looked OK.

For me it started when I changed the primary metadata provider to tmdb. I haven't seen any new issues for the last week, so the tmdb api seems to be behaving now.

I Use Specials folder name as per naming convention, Emby displays it as such

The NFO calls it season 0 (is this ok/normal ?) and special episode numbering is spot on.

CharleyVarrick
13 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Have you check the Kodi settings? There are several options for TV-Shows, also for specials.

Settings -> Media -> Videos

This is all I found

image.thumb.png.2708533aaada12b1eccc72dd6f3cedd0.png

BaukeZwart
10 minutes ago, CharleyVarrick said:

The NFO calls it season 0 (is this ok/normal ?) and special episode numbering is spot on.

I don't use specials, but according to a Kodi forum post the specials have to be placed in a season 00 folder. Episodes name should contain S00Exx.

Is the season is the NFO also "00"?

Edited by BaukeZwart

CharleyVarrick

I moved the Specials folder out of Star Trek: Discovery folder (out to unmonitored folder), then performed Scan Library Files for this show.

Specials were gone In Emby and Kodi

I then re-imported the Specials folder back to show folder

I have partial success;

The specials episodes are now only displaying in Specials sesason, but the numbering is off

In Emby, it does not show any episode numbering, in Kodi the episodes numbers are displayed as season

image.thumb.png.c9d1afdfd3af425701587e217bc7bf42.pngimage.thumb.png.9084d960eb7de80c1396be77b3324aec.png

CharleyVarrick
8 minutes ago, BaukeZwart said:

I don't use specials, but according to a Kodi forum post the specials have to be placed in a season 00 folder. Episodes name should contain S00Exx.

I have never used Season 00 folder, Emby naming convention calls for Specials.

But yes, the special episodes are tagged as s00exx

In the NFO, the season shows as "0"

image.png.a07f68f4f2ce3a62edcea2f229efcbe9.png

Edited by CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick
16 minutes ago, BaukeZwart said:

I had a look again and both ways are supported

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110-tv-naming

image.png.8701c3579d40e4510d09f54603d6cfa1.png

CharleyVarrick

Unless I am mistaken, it now looks as if its not so great to have Specials folder for specials episodes.

Emby does not show any episode numbering for them

And Kodi shows season number instead of episode number ( s00e11 is displayed as s11)

I have about 90 tv shows with Specials in them.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

I dropped mine ( 1 file.. :P ) inside the Season it belonged in.. Named Specials.. Then I got the Episode number.. I gave it all internal metadata as well.. EMBY put it in order with the viewing date which is also embedded between episode 2 and 3.. and it is not have an episode number it just says Special - Name of Episode..

Not for sure what is working which way..LOL if its the metadata and/or info from online source.. but it worked..

CharleyVarrick
1 hour ago, BaukeZwart said:

I have just noticed this: I too changed primary MD provider to tmdb after tvdb was driving me insane with there TBA nonsense.

Star Trek; Discovery  S00E02  Short Treks; Runaway

<episode>2</episode>
  <season>0</season>
  <aired>2018-10-03</aired>
  <airsafter_season>2</airsafter_season>
  <airsbefore_season>2</airsbefore_season>
  <displayseason>2</displayseason>

I just noticed this is the problem in the NFO: (last line "display season")

CharleyVarrick
1 hour ago, BaukeZwart said:

Did you do something to fix it?

I'm considering deleting the specials NFO and see if they are created back with correct info

BaukeZwart
22 minutes ago, CharleyVarrick said:

Did you do something to fix it?

I'm considering deleting the specials NFO and see if they are created back with correct info

I do all my NFO maintenance with TMM.
In this case I manually edited the NFO's with TMM.
But I have a daily script running updating the TMM db and scrape new shows and movies.
Once a week I update all NFO's via the script for selected fields only. I don't let TMM change any artwork.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

I will be starting a new thread over in Emby windows,

I deleted all nfo and thumbs, and nfo are created back by Emby with wrong info all over again.

For some reasons, Emby ignores episode number for specials

Star Trek; Discovery  S00E02  Short Treks; Runaway
<episode>2</episode>
  <season>0</season>
  <aired>2018-10-03</aired>
  <airsafter_season>2</airsafter_season>
  <displayseason>2</displayseason>

That would make sense to me as they are labelled and identified differently.. Specials are labelled sequentially without season. 

The aired-by date which it records should allow it be displayed properly.. as well as dropping the folder within the Season it belongs in. 🤷‍♂️

CharleyVarrick
48 minutes ago, Hxemby001 said:

That would make sense to me as they are labelled and identified differently.. Specials are labelled sequentially without season. 

The aired-by date which it records should allow it be displayed properly.. as well as dropping the folder within the Season it belongs in. 🤷‍♂️

Sorry but this makes no sense to me, nor to Kodi (apparently)

image.thumb.png.06087d1efa945e2f3d9b13b4cbcfded3.png

Edited by CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

From a thread in emby/windows, 2 updates

1) in screen capture above, s04 would mean Special 04, as opposed to Season 04 (If so it is misleading, but it might be a Kodi thing, instead of a Emby4K next gen thing

2) Emby library/Advanced does have an option to display specials within seasons. I do not have this option checked and do not observe the issue on Emby.

For some reason, Kodi overlooks / overrides this option, I wish it wouldnt, but again, unsure if its a Kodi thing or E4K next gen

image.png.78391d9cb58b8295829adde019183039.png

For emby for Kodi you'll need to set a client side option to achieve a similar easily.