Some Movies wont play

tmmedic20

tmmedic20

Ive searched the forums top to bottom and have found multiple problems like mine but no solution:

Running emby server from a docker container on a Unraid server: (all software's up to date to current releases)

Trying to watch movies using Emby App on a FireTV stick 4k

App is installed and up to date

Server connection is complete

Most movies play fine but some wont even start and return  "to many errors playback halted"  error

I have rescanned folders, even removed the current folders and re added them to ensure proper permissions are present.

I'm at a loss for what else to do.

Attacking log file for the last failed playback.

**Forgot to add, all files that fail on FireStick work fine in web app,  play fine in windows default player from the file source and even play fine in DLNA server on a seperate TV that I have not setup as a FireTV stick yet.

ffmpeg-transcode-eed47ade-9d40-4ac0-9c83-1133a5fe9efc_1.txt

Edited by tmmedic20

Hi. I don't see errors but I definitely see that your server is not powerful enough to transcode that item.  It is going at about half the necessary rate.  It is HEVC and it looks like you are also burning in subs - both of those are heavy operations.

Where did you find similar topics with no resolution?  To my knowledge,  your situation is usually the culprit.

Creating more compatible versions or not selecting internal graphic subs (maybe obtaining some external text ones) both could alleviate your issues.

tmmedic20

Perhaps I worded that incorrectly.   They have solutions just not ones that fixed it for me.

All my files have external subtitles (which I'm assuming is what you mean) I'm not very well versed in this subject relatively new to using a media server. 

My server was under a load as I didn't notice it was converting files while i tried to play those files for the logs 

Ill attach 2 logs with failed attempts with the server not under a load.

ffmpeg-transcode-9961e3a4-1498-45cc-b45f-e8643148990a_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-38b247c8-e291-4cab-846f-8ee4d8aa1507_1.txt

This is a 4K HDR movie correct?

You will either want to upgrade to the BETA Server if you have a modern GPU that can do tone mapping (HDR to SDR) or create a seperate 4K library and ONLY give permission to it for people who can direct play that content.

You would then have a normal 1080 version in your normal library.

Trying to transcode 4K/HDR media is very tough on a CPU but much more easily done with a proper GPU.  HDR to SDR tone mapping is also new in the current beta and is working really well.

tmmedic20

I literally have the same file playing on 3 devices at the same time.

1.) My Samsung fold 2 phone.

2.) in Chrome browser 

3.) A Samsung Tab A 9.5 inch tablet without a single glitch.

I just wont play on the FireStick      So im guessing its a FireStick issue and good enough reason for me to upgrade to a 4k stick!

The first 3 devices are likely direct playing the file but your FireStick requires a transcode which the Server can't handle.

Can you check the first 3 devices to see if they are in fact direct playing?

tmmedic20
1 minute ago, cayars said:

The first 3 devices are likely direct playing the file but your FireStick requires a transcode which the Server can't handle.

Can you check the first 3 devices to see if they are in fact direct playing?

Chrome Web Broswer is  Play Method: Transcode

the fold is direct play

and the child ran off with the tablet and wont give it back to check!  lol

Happy2Play

So you are basically saying all clients except your FireTV will play the HEVC HDR (no matter the playback method)?

Well chrome can't do this as it will look washed out without tone mapping done on the server.

But I don't see how chrome can transcode and playback but the fire tv transcode only runs about 1/2 speed.  That makes no sense.

tmmedic20
42 minutes ago, cayars said:

Well chrome can't do this as it will look washed out without tone mapping done on the server.

But I don't see how chrome can transcode and playback but the fire tv transcode only runs about 1/2 speed.  That makes no sense.

As I stated I'm really new at this stuff (Meaning Media Servers) and have no clue what Im talking about for the most part but my server is:

On the other had I do have some working knowledge on servers and hardware:

My Setup

a Dell Poweredge r710 

Dual Intel Xeon E5649 @2.53Ghz

120 GB of DDR memory

12TB of storage using 2 TB 7200RPM HD and 2 4TB 7200 RPM HD

Quad 1GB nics on a Bond0 configuration (Yes the switch is configured for the bond)

I really need to add a Video card for transcoding but up till now it has served  my purposes and this is the only time ive had an issue.

If any of that mattters

I'm am baffled that I can watch any of my library on a Samsung Tab A but FireStick has issues.

Attacked pic showing the chrome browser and its "stats for nerds"chrome.thumb.jpg.cb70d3e27fb9adc3dc4406299ca10562.jpg

Can you try uploading that picture again but not 1/4 screen size?  Can't read the stats for nerds screen.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, cayars said:

and playback but the fire tv transcode only runs about 1/2 speed.  That makes no sense

Unless the Fire is also the only one trying to burn in subs.

• Thanks 1

@tmmedic20 Can you check "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" from transcoding menu and turn this off if enabled and test again?

tmmedic20
Just now, cayars said:

@tmmedic20 Can you check "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" from transcoding menu and turn this off if enabled and test again?

At work for the next 48 hours but will do soon as I get home.  As well as reuploadong the full size stats.

Here is a picture of the stats that I grabbed using a roku stick (sorry don't remeber the model number) on a projector which also played fine. 

20210416_213752.jpg

24 minutes ago, tmmedic20 said:

Here is a picture of the stats that I grabbed using a roku stick (sorry don't remeber the model number) on a projector which also played fine. 

Thanks but we really need to see the Stats for Nerds from the Fire Stick.

BTW, are these clients in your network or playing back remotely?  I ask because that pic showed an exceeding bitrate message.

tmmedic20
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

Thanks but we really need to see the Stats for Nerds from the Fire Stick.

BTW, are these clients in your network or playing back remotely?  I ask because that pic showed an exceeding bitrate message.

They are on same network. (Roku may have been on a different Vlan I didn't check which SSID it connected to.

Can't show you stats for nerds on the fire stick since it won't play the file.

1 hour ago, cayars said:

that pic showed an exceeding bitrate message

60Mb/s is way beyond the published specs for the Fire stick (about 25) so that would be the case for that file unless the setting in the app was changed off of "Auto".

• Like 1

tmmedic20
4 hours ago, Luke said:

@tmmedic20 has this helped?

I'm unable to test till I get home tomorrow, but I am able to stream remotely with no issues.  All the firesticks I'm using remotely are 4k sticks though so I'm going to upgrade that at home and see it fixes it.

• Like 1

tmmedic20
On 4/18/2021 at 3:50 AM, Luke said:

@tmmedic20 has this helped?

The burn in subs option was already disabled.  I reinstalled app to just verify it wasn't an option I had accidently turned on.  File would still not play.

Upgrade that TV to a Firestick 4k  and now everything plays perfectly fine.

Still a bit baffled why that is, but the problem is resolved and the wife and child are happy.