Ubuntu - Emby can not write to files on NAS

kdracon

kdracon

Hello,

First let me apologize if this has been answered but I can not seem to find the answer so if it has please share the link, thank you.

Setting Emby on Ubuntu use cifs I am moving from windows to an Ubuntu server. I am familiar with Linux but far from an expert.

I setup the mount drive with no problem have all permissions set and Emby can see the drive to map libraries.

However when testing here is the problem:

• Emby can create directories
  • I can see the file that Emby creates but it has a size of Zero. (this is probably a place holder creation)
  • Emby can not write data to the file
  • This seems that Emby does not have write permissions, but can create folders.
  • as a user on Ubuntu I can create files and write dat to them.

I think Emby is not using the Credentials that were used to mount the drive and trying to use the system emby user to do all the file work. The weird thing is it can create folders with no problem.

I could create a Emby user on the NAS but where would I set the password for Emby on Ubuntu.

Any insight or help would be appreciated.

Thank you and stay safe,

Hi there @kdracon, what NAS do you have? Did you mount the NAS path in Ubuntu, and then add the mounted path to Emby Server?

kdracon

Hello Luke,

First thank you for replying.

Yes it is mounted in Ubuntu and then added to emby server.

I have both a Synology and Qnap NAS both behaving the same way.

I have the mount setup in fstab

I have it mounting as emby:emby with a user that has access to the share on the NAS.

the mount works with no issue

under my username in Ubuntu I can create files and folders in the mount share: example sudo nano test

When emby tries to create a file or folder it fails 

in the logs I am seeing a authorization error

so my assumption is that the nas drive is not accepting the emby user, i.e. Emby is using its ubuntu system user to access the share and not utilizing the creds provided in the mount. I am not really sure how this works on the back end. 

I did get nfs to work but I dont want to use that because it completely takes over the permissions on the NAS drive and I can not access anything outside of Ubuntu.

Any Thoughts?

Thank you,

Darky0815

Hi!

Seems to be the same (or similar) problem I am facing:

I can impersonate the "emby" user and as long as I use a terminal everything works. When emby-server uses the "emby" user it creates new .nfo files with size zero and can't write anything in it.

Unfortunately, my only solution so far is to use NFS with "mapping all users to admin" set on synology.

• 1 month later...