Emby Theater Microsoft Store App has no sound...

wildsprite

Did you select an external player to be used in Theater setup?
That what it sounds like.

Can you check your client settings in that specific app and adjust this if it's set to an external player?

• Thanks 1

What do your settings look like here Apps: Video Playback 

It could also be default filetype/stream settings.. but I agree something is wrong.. with the one machine.. odd that it is only for the app.

Deault Apps by Protocol.. seems a long shot..

Edited by Guest

wildsprite
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Did you select an external player to be used in Theater setup?
That what it sounds like.

Can you check your client settings in that specific app and adjust this if it's set to an external player?

I didn't have an option for that with the app from the microsoft store, I don't recall having the option on the desktop version but it has been a while

Edited by wildsprite

wildsprite
1 hour ago, Hxemby001 said:

What do your settings look like here Apps: Video Playback 

It could also be default filetype/stream settings.. but I agree something is wrong.. with the one machine.. odd that it is only for the app.

Deault Apps by Protocol.. seems a long shot..

the only thing I see in apps: video playback is some stuff to do with HDR and processing videos to enhance them, this display can't do HDR and the processing videos is off

image.png.61ac7b8f4b8d2431e6bd2d6312f81857.png

Is this version of Windows-  Windows 10 N or Windows 10 KN editions?

This IS going to sound stupid as well.. have you tried the MUTE button on your keyboard...

Do you have a Codec Pack of any kind installed on your system? - This one being probably the most important of my three questions..

Up to date on all Microsoft Updates...

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, wildsprite said:

something I noticed is it says it is trying to play the videos through windows video player. I don't know what this is and I don't see any app of the sort on my PC. could I be missing some sort of codec for it?

If you play this media back directly in Windows Video Player do you get sound?
If not try looking at WVP sound settings.

• Thanks 1

wildsprite
4 hours ago, Hxemby001 said:

Is this version of Windows-  Windows 10 N or Windows 10 KN editions?

This IS going to sound stupid as well.. have you tried the MUTE button on your keyboard...

Do you have a Codec Pack of any kind installed on your system? - This one being probably the most important of my three questions..

Up to date on all Microsoft Updates...

I have Windows 10 Pro. yes I checked the mute button on my keyboard several times. I don't recall installing a codec pack but there in lies the baffling issue, the sound worked in this app before it was updated 2 or 3 updates ago. the most notable change I have was moving over to the Emby Server Beta but I'm fairly certain it isn't the server. do you have a recommended codec pack to install? windows is all up to date.

4 hours ago, cayars said:

If you play this media back directly in Windows Video Player do you get sound?
If not try looking at WVP sound settings.

I can't find anything called Windows Video Player. the only thing that comes up when I search that is Windows Media Player. do you think that is what Emby is referencing?

Edited by wildsprite

Go to Settings > Apps > try Repair of Reset if this is the APP not the Desktop Version of EMBY Theater..

I would definitely check the next two links for the settings they address while trying to play the file..

Just to be sure - There are a bunch of settings to double check.. including 'Exclusive Control' settings for the output device.. If one program or app is using the output device exclusively it may prevent an app from using it... Sometimes outputs can change.. even code can require one.. ( including driver updates ) - Just to be sure..

How to Set Per-App Sound Outputs in Windows 10 (howtogeek.com)

No sound from headphones in Windows 10 (FIXED) (addictivetips.com)

Windows Video Player is not a reference to an app...

I think however this could have something to do with Media Foundation Configuration ... if the above does not render a result..

IF it is playing in all other applications on your system and not playing through the one app it maybe at all... installing codecs may help but it is a fix to a more specific issue if it does fix the issue.

If I was going to recommend one... K-Lite Codec Pack FULL at codecguide.com.. Opensource and updated often.. still actively supported.. Has been my go-to for years.

I usually install using full selection of the new codecs with installation of MPC-HC.. if you choose other codecs.. or to stay with original ones.. The Tweak Tool will allow you to fix issues in the registry.. for ALL codecs.

Edited by Guest

wildsprite

I tried everything suggested, including installing k-lite and used the tweak tool to do the fixes and that didn't work. I used O&O app buster to remove Emby theater completely then reinstalled it. none of this worked. I was under the impression Emby theater on the microsoft app store was a web app. but Emby on the web works on this machine using edge 

On Windows, there are five options ( That I know of ).. WebUI, WebApp, Windows Store App, Emby Theater Native Program, and you can plug in to EMBY with KODI.

I think there might be a few other apps out there but nothing made directly by EMBY. You usually need a Subscription to have full capability with most of the programs and apps.

1 hour ago, Hxemby001 said:

On Windows, there are five options ( That I know of ).. WebUI, WebApp, Windows Store App, Emby Theater Native Program, and you can plug in to EMBY with KODI.

I think there might be a few other apps out there but nothing made directly by EMBY. You usually need a Subscription to have full capability with most of the programs and apps.

What's the difference between WebUI & WebApp?

But there can sometimes be two different web apps which are the version delivered from your server or delivered from app.emby.media. :)

EDIT: Technically there is also: http://tv.emby.media/ as well.

Edited by cayars
  • Thanks 1

LOL... you upped me once again on the third web version.. 

These might all be the same I dunno.. I always use localhost or my ip + port.. funny thing is with the WebApp and the TV Media ( reminds me of the old name and blue icons years ago - back when I was messing around with trying to be able to access my data everywhere when it wasn't a thing yet :P ).. each one of those get me to login fresh each time like I am just setting up... I guess I should dig some today and see..

EDIT: OH WAIT.. I see a clock! it's 1:47 PM.. and I can scroll with my cursors and get beep noises.. ZOOM doesn't ( because it is TV.. I get it )... This would work great with Unified Remote's Navigation Menu..

Now I have another app! Thank You.. 

True though the Web App and WebUI are basically the same.. I think I should play more with viewing display profiles..

Edited by Guest

wildsprite
6 hours ago, Hxemby001 said:

I don't have to worry about the sub part of that as I bought a lifetime sub a few months ago.  I'm at a loss, everything works with sound but that one app. I'm considering making another windows profile just to test whether the issue is this profile or it is a computer issue. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 7:01 PM, wildsprite said:

I don't have to worry about the sub part of that as I bought a lifetime sub a few months ago.  I'm at a loss, everything works with sound but that one app. I'm considering making another windows profile just to test whether the issue is this profile or it is a computer issue. 

Hi, did you try this?

wildsprite
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, did you try this?

I just did just now(I forgot to do it right after I mentioned it) and it works on the alternate profile so I'm going to recreate my main profile later. thank you all for trying to help me with this but since I can't figure out the cause it is probably just better that way. unless one of you has something else I can try so perhaps we know what happened. 

Edited by wildsprite

I would bet... that it could be possible this will happen again... If it is specific to the profile.. it is in there somewhere.

My guess is some setting was changed that caused this.  It's still normal in the new profile.

• 9 months later...
Canaletto

I also noticed this problem with Emby Theater (MS Store) where there is no sound on some videos while the sound is present in Chrome or Firefox, but curiously not in Brave either... Maybe a problem of codecs used or not by Brave or the webkit of Emby Theatre...