Album Artist entries duplicated

frandan

frandan

Hi to everyone,

i use this fantastic piece of software at my home and around the world with the android app on my smartphone.

Last days i'm trying to organize better my music library but i found a behaviour that i don't know if it is right.

When in music album there is a track with a featuring (example Coldplay & Beyonce), although the tag artist album is right (coldplay in this case), i found in the list  of album artist also Coldplay & Beyonce.

Is it right? I solved what is a little problem for me, removing the featuring artist in the artist tag (adding in brackets in song title).

I have also tried, as suggested on an older post, to remove artist, to rescan library and add again artist, but this beahaviour persist.

Thanks in advance for your answers

After you added the (feat. Beyonce) to the title, did you do a rescan of the library?

The reason I say this is because the system has to remove this from the database once it has created an entry...

Currently MediaInfo is showing that the track is still stating Coldplay & Beyonce as the artist...

Discogs states it as:

A3- Hymn For The Weekend

Brass – The Regiment Horns

Programmed By [Additional Programming] – Tim Bergling

Vocals – Beyoncé

My copy of this song is the single version which has Beyonce as only backing vocals in the track.. and my info doesn't really show her as featured..

Just as Coldplay - Hymn for the Weekend.

If you have additional tags for musicbrainz it may actually be listed that way.. as there also are several remixes.. You would need to look up those specific ID's on their site and see however.

frandan

My doubt is about "Coldplay & Beyonce" that appear in the "Album artist" section on emby.
I supposed that they should appear only in the section "artist" as player of a single song and only  "Coldplay" item in "Album artist" section as tagged on files. Is my thinking wrong?.

In the attached file, there is the mediainfo report with modified tagging (In this way in  "Album artist" section the "Codplay & Beyonce" item doesn't appear )

mediainfov2.txt

No, you are not wrong...that is why I asked about musicbrainz tags... AND also if you changed the information in the tag and the filename ( in some cases ).. have the monitoring on for the library, or scan and refresh metadata for at least that item, the old entry in the database should be updated in the database...

If you have metadata embedded correctly... along with Musicbrainz id's it will get information specifically for those ID's ( and show that information which may not match the rest of the regular embedded data ) and use it when looking for online metadata to populate the server resources...

frandan
29 minutes ago, Hxemby001 said:

No, you are not wrong...that is why I asked about musicbrainz tags... AND also if you changed the information in the tag and the filename ( in some cases ).. have the monitoring on for the library, or scan and refresh metadata for at least that item, the old entry in the database should be updated in the database...

If you have metadata embedded correctly... along with Musicbrainz id's it will get information specifically for those ID's ( and show that information which may not match the rest of the regular embedded data ) and use it when looking for online metadata to populate the server resources...

Sorry i don't know if i have understood well.

I thinked that emby takes metadata from files tag. i use mp3tag for tagging and musicbrainz as data source, but not for all my media: when i see all the tag fields compiled, i don't re-tag my album. Should i do?

If i re-tag whith musicbrainz there is another "album artist" duplicated item relatives to the song Fun (Coldplay feat. Tove Lo) as showed in the attached image with its mediainfo.

coldplay.png

mediainfov3.txt

The method you use should be consistent... throughout the entire archive.. I will show you what I mean... Mine is different but there is nothing wrong with using musicbrains.. BUT if they have any difference within their information from album to album, artist to artist, release group that differs from your tags... or if your tags do not all include the same ID numbers, if you have an inconsistency where one has them and one does not.. it will show like you have above.. Or differently from what you might think as the data isn't consistent all the way across the board.

You will have to forgive the absence of artist images, backdrops and logos.. in mine for the moment.. I recently started trying to import my music.. ( Due to an issue MusicBrainZ was not selected or used yet ) I only use musicbrainz for those items through EMBY ( as you will see by my tags ) and there is an example of when you have an inconsistency even within regular tags like you had...My screenshot will also include TagScanner.. ( My images are not complete because I have yet to allow EMBY to import information from musicbrainz and audiodb, or fanart.. but with the exception of one song.. all are listed under one artist.. the tags I have will reflect this.. which is without any of musicbrainz ID's.. The search will be preformed only from the text  within the tags. Narrowing down possible discrepancies.

I Import my music to TagScanner.. search for data online, refine it by hand ( if necessary - genre notation/spelling and so on.. ) Then I strip all other tags from the items after selecting every file, only keeping the standard tags. My information came from Discogs.. and I noticed that all of the extended credits are not embedded... present but are closer to what would be written on the Cover.. Most featuring information usually is but for this release it was done differently... I think that was because of the role played.. In the remix releases she is credited as feat.

Coldplay | Discography | Discogs

My Examples..

Folder Structure:

04_16.2021_103744.thumb.jpg.c97825c657db798eb7d7f343ac33b561.jpg

04_16.2021_103802.thumb.jpg.fd61ec01d52251b00eabf705831db00c.jpg

TagScanner:

04_16.2021_104410a.thumb.jpg.021de0e958d4490f0fe3b98459df1fd1.jpg04_16.2021_110134.jpg.bf096dd0114a0c4cd30c947023a449cb.jpg

04_16.2021_112801.thumb.jpg.a28ee91598fd435b764596c1a537b63f.jpg

EMBY:

Search results...

04_16.2021_105129.jpg.48e58749ef5d17e802413e2e6850bf00.jpg

04_16.2021_105317.jpg.df8a6b23dc56d9ea1614c6a8e75ff7a7.jpg

IF you notice here ( the third one ) that The Chainsmokers album itself remains intact.. but the artist tag shows up in a search ( even if its in the title with Feat. ) for the song... and the second one

Album Artist:

04_16.2021_105731.thumb.jpg.982fca817e6a6a8d9cc32b7bf4c3ceff.jpg

Artist:

04_16.2021_110000.thumb.jpg.bbf1bae04cf796d6d3346687553ac102.jpg

04_16.2021_105033.thumb.jpg.011af9ff3b69b76e54f787da5a1c5f51.jpg

04_16.2021_105003.thumb.jpg.2bbd4c4baebbc6d9b2c8dc041d1f685d.jpg

The one that shows up differently: ( second one from above )

04_16.2021_105417.thumb.jpg.f948df868ed3725be317c748765d7678.jpg

04_16.2021_105501.thumb.jpg.5a7701963f1456bbfd9935335ac764cd.jpg

Edited by Guest
EDITED for clarification..

frandan

First of all thanks a lot for the time you dedicated to my post.

Ok so you suggest to manually edit tags where i find some strange behaviour, right?

I'll try but do you think that i shouldn't use mp3tag or is it ok as tag tool?

I have seen people use mp3tag.. and Picard ( has a ton of plugins to actually accomplish a lot of this ).. My personal choice has become TagScanner... ( uses more than one source )

I would say it would really be between the two... ( Picard and TagScanner ) as being the most robust with an easy to use UI, and more configuration. I use MetaX for my video files.. Their website is down right now for some reason..

..AND yes you probably will have to watch the information you get back from online resources to tag properly... The idea I went with was to use the standard basic tags.. which properly identifies the music.. without adding additional tags or functionality, ( that could bloat the tag information and will always be compatible for identification for matter what service is being used ). Something that can stand on it's own and even work offline.

configuring your tagging software to take care of all of the considerations is a good idea and make it easier, but you may have to take it to the next level with corrections and keeping the notation the same throughout - always using the same considerations.