Emby app just spinning forever on launch

ptr727
Go to solution Solved by ptr727,

ptr727

Hi, I installed the Emby app on Nvidia Shield, used it, it found the server immediately, all seemed good.

Couple days later, launch the app, it just sits there and shows the spinner saying connecting or loading, actual text escapes me now.

I restarted the Shield, launch Emby app, same thing, spinner forever.

Any ideas?

Hi.  Is your server running?  Has the address changed?  How long have you waited?  Is it a remote or local server?

ptr727

Server is running, I can access it via web interface.

Address is static IP,  has not changed.

I waited overnight.

Server is running in docker on local network.

5 minutes ago, ptr727 said:

How do I clear data?

That is one of the options inside the Android menu system under "Apps".

ptr727

Sad to report it keeps happening.

I upgraded to the Beta client to resolve another playback issue, and same thing, forever loading spinner.

I figured out how to clear the app data, and after that the client launches again, but, shield off, power on, play, spinner.

Since it is happening with the Beta build, should I start a thread in the Beta forum, for more actionable help?

We can discuss here.  Please tell us all the details about your setup and how you log in.  Thanks.

ptr727

Emby server running in docker using LSIO version, same behavior with latest and beta tags.

Nvidia Shield Pro 2019, wired connection.

Single user account.

Tested release and Beta client.

Launch client, click user, change playback to match framerate, play content, turn off, turn on, launch Emby, connecting spinner forever.

Clear Emby data, relaunch Emby, instant connect, click user, play, off, on, launch Emby, spinner...

Are you logging in directly to your server by local IP entered manually or is the Shield TV finding your server?

Are you able to login to your Emby server from a different computer, phone or tablet on your network?

21 hours ago, ptr727 said:

play content, turn off,

Hi. Exactly what steps are you doing here?

ptr727

Are you logging in directly to your server by local IP entered manually or is the Shield TV finding your server?
Emby app on Shield automatically finds server, I just click on my profile picture.

Are you able to login to your Emby server from a different computer, phone or tablet on your network?
I have three Shields, they all auto find Emby.
I manually login to the web UI using an IP over HTTP.

"play content, turn off,", Hi. Exactly what steps are you doing here?
Press power button on Shield remote, TV and AVR turns on, navigate to Emby app, click to launch Emby, when it works navigate to media, play media, when I'm done, press power button on Shield remote, TV and AVR turns off (via configured CEC).

Edited by ptr727

What does Emby Dashboard show in the Activity section when you try and login from the Shield TV?

ptr727

The dashboard shows the client: "Shield Game Room, AndroidTv 2.0.05g, Last seen 18 seconds ago".

The client is still spinning.

1 hour ago, ptr727 said:

when I'm done, press power button on Shield remote

What exactly is "when  you're done"?  Do you let playback end or do you power off with playback still going?  Do you exit the app?

Try turning off "Remember Last User" in the app settings.  Set it to show login screen and see if that makes a difference.

ptr727

When I'm done, e.g.:
Press pause, leave the room, let TV turn off itself.
Exit play, press power to turn off.

Shield, apps, emby, clear data.
Launch Emby, auto finds my user, I click my picture, login.
Change logon settings to disable remember last user.
Switch to Shield home, relaunch Emby, still logged in.
Click on user and logout, screen with no user found, only option to enter user by remote.
Switch back to Shield home, relaunch Emby, still no user found screen.

Can I collect local app logs without needing the app to actually launch and submit logs online?

• Solution
ptr727

I found some google references to discussions on discovery vs. the server returned addresses.

My server runs in docker, and binds to the default docker network, and the static IP macvlan network.

The server page shows the advertised server IP as the private docker internal network, not the static 192.168.1.x IP.

I changed the local IP address setting to the static IP, and the server status now reports the correct internal and public IP.

After making the server config change, I reset the client, the client still discovers the server, but it now no longer fails to reconnect on secondary launches.

I suspect the that in a multi-homed system discovery works, but the client uses the server info sent to the client, not he discovered IP, resulting in the client attempting the next connection to the wrong IP. Without source or logs I'm just speculating.

Hi, You would likely have to go to system menu and force close the app or restart the box.