Folder sync configuration?

MBSki

Just now, Przemek said:

No, that are files synced by my system with dietpi-sync service.
Regards.

So unless the file names exactly match what folder sync wants to use, then you'll see some resyncing. I would just give it a try.

Przemek
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

So unless the file names exactly match what folder sync wants to use, then you'll see some resyncing. I would just give it a try.

OK, I add my Movie folder from dietpi-sync for test but I don't see any scheduler task for that sync

17 minutes ago, Przemek said:

Hey @Luke can You explain me how that plugin works? 

Please read the article I previously linked to, and then ask specific questions after that. If the article needs to be expanded with more information, then we'll do that. Thanks.

Przemek
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

Please read the article I previously linked to, and then ask specific questions after that. If the article needs to be expanded with more information, then we'll do that. Thanks.

I read that article and as You said it's depreciated so I ask how it works? I don't have any sync options in dashboard I don't have any scheduler task for that. I add my sync folder in plugins settings but there's nothing more there. 

So why it's so problematic for You to help and answer my question?

Since you've created those, now try using the "Download to" options on a video.

@cayars will update the folder sync wiki. Thanks.

@Przemek

Sync was renamed "Download to" as mentioned on the first page of the thread.

Step One. Setup the plugin for one of more folders you wish to sync.  Manually create the folders on disk and make sure Emby has read/write permission to that location. In the plugin you will give this location a name and location. Example names: "FS Mobile 1.5mb", "FS TV 4mb".  I use "FS" so I know it's a location, not a device and it's a FS or File Sync destination.

Now go into a library and select the content you wish to process.  You can use multi-select if you wish.  Click the 3 dot button and choose "download to".  I would then get a choice of any of my devices if setup and then two examples from above.  So I'd select "FS Mobile 1.5mb" and then choose the profiles and bitrate on the next page to do the conversion for me.

Does that help at all?

PS I made a note to update the KB articles for anything mentioning "sync" so it reflects the new name "download to".

• Like 1

Przemek
17 hours ago, Luke said:

12 hours ago, cayars said:

@Przemek

Hi, very sorry I missed that. I understan everything now.
Thanks for help and forgive me.
Regards.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
sundevil67

I know it is not one of the intended use cases for this functionality, but I'm trying to figure out how Emby can read the contents of my "Apple Photos" folder (where all of the pics imported from my iPhone are stored). First I thought why not just add that folder to an existing library, but for some reason the entire parent directory is missing from that "add folder" dialog & cannot be selected.

Is there a way to use either the built in sync/download function and/or the sync folder plugin that could make this work? I'm still a little confused about how to set this up, even if the folder I'd like to sync were actually visible. Does all of that make sense?

Thank you.

13 minutes ago, sundevil67 said:

I know it is not one of the intended use cases for this functionality, but I'm trying to figure out how Emby can read the contents of my "Apple Photos" folder (where all of the pics imported from my iPhone are stored). First I thought why not just add that folder to an existing library, but for some reason the entire parent directory is missing from that "add folder" dialog & cannot be selected.

Is there a way to use either the built in sync/download function and/or the sync folder plugin that could make this work? I'm still a little confused about how to set this up, even if the folder I'd like to sync were actually visible. Does all of that make sense?

Thank you.

If you just want to import a folder into Emby Server, then I would probably look at why the server doesn't have read access to the folder you want to import, rather than going trying to figure out some kind of roundabout workaround.

sundevil67
5 hours ago, Luke said:

If you just want to import a folder into Emby Server, then I would probably look at why the server doesn't have read access to the folder you want to import, rather than going trying to figure out some kind of roundabout workaround.

It looks like folders Emby is accessing have READ/WRITE permissions for all three (unlike this one attached).. Since it's the parent folder that includes everything connected to my photo app, it's probably a bad idea to change it... It must be set like that for good reason. It's still a kludgy workaround, but maybe a script that duplicates the contents of the right subfolder & then add that one to the library.... Thanks; I'll report back after I give that a go.

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 7.10.20 PM.png

21 hours ago, sundevil67 said:

It looks like folders Emby is accessing have READ/WRITE permissions for all three (unlike this one attached).. Since it's the parent folder that includes everything connected to my photo app, it's probably a bad idea to change it... It must be set like that for good reason. It's still a kludgy workaround, but maybe a script that duplicates the contents of the right subfolder & then add that one to the library.... Thanks; I'll report back after I give that a go.

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 7.10.20 PM.png

What OS are you using to run Emby on?
Do you know what UserName is running Emby?
That's the username you want to make sure has permissions.

Typically on most OS you want to reset everything under the parent to have proper permissions.  Then you NEED to set the parent with those same permission but ALSO make sure those permissions are inherited and used as default permissions for any new folders or files that get added.  This is what usually trips up people setting permissions.

sundevil67

I’m running on Mac OS .. I don’t think it’s wise to monkey with permissions on any of the folders generated by Mylio, but it’s easy enough to copy the files to a new directory. I suppose that’s the answer - creating a new folder in an existing library & setting up an ‘Automator’ workflow that just copies any new items over to that folder on a schedule. In that scenario I guess there wouldn’t even be a need for this folder sync plugin at all.

• Like 1

sundevil67

I'm not completely sure how I got it to work, but I downloaded a tool called "FreeFileSync" and am just mirroring the photo software's folder structure on the emby library. It's still won't be totally adequate until it can be automated & the photo app or Emby supports smart albums, but it's one step closer. Can close this topic; turns out that plugin doesn't really fit into the picture at all. thanks for listening.

MBSki

I'd rather this topic wasn't marked as closed. I opened this topic awhile ago because folder sync does some funky things that it shouldn't.

sundevil67
23 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

I'd rather this topic wasn't marked as closed. I opened this topic awhile ago because folder sync does some funky things that it shouldn't.

oops sorry; didn't realize I hadn't started it!

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
sundevil67
On 3/23/2022 at 12:27 PM, Carlo said:

@Przemek

Step One. Setup the plugin for one of more folders you wish to sync.  Manually create the folders on disk and make sure Emby has read/write permission to that location. In the plugin you will give this location a name and location. Example names: "FS Mobile 1.5mb", "FS TV 4mb".  I use "FS" so I know it's a location, not a device and it's a FS or File Sync destination.

Sorry to keep beating this dead horse, but I hope someone will humor me so I can put this to bed. I'm still stuck on step #1 & can't find anyplace to set up a destination.. I've been discussing the whole "locating download files" in another thread, but just wanted to check in here once more because even after reading that article about the sync plugin I can't make heads or tails of it. A folder sync to me means setting up a source & destination, then a trigger of some type that initiates the sync. I can only choose a single folder location & then ... ? I thought maybe that would cause it to show up in the "download to" option, but it doesn't.

The bottom line question I still want to answer before I start messing with 3rd party apps is whether or not there is a way to designate a directory on my local machine that periodically (either at designated intervals or when new items are added), would automatically copy the files over to a particular library-connected folder. So I have a folder in my Emby library on the server that mirrors a folder on another computer on my LAN that's used by my photo management application. New photos get added, then shuffled over to my Emby library. I still can't figure out if this plugin can accomplish that, or if the confusion is just semantics & the whole sync vs download terminology. Thank you for indulging me once more on this if you can; getting this to work right will just save me an incredible amount of time.

4 hours ago, sundevil67 said:

Sorry to keep beating this dead horse, but I hope someone will humor me so I can put this to bed. I'm still stuck on step #1 & can't find anyplace to set up a destination.. I've been discussing the whole "locating download files" in another thread, but just wanted to check in here once more because even after reading that article about the sync plugin I can't make heads or tails of it. A folder sync to me means setting up a source & destination, then a trigger of some type that initiates the sync. I can only choose a single folder location & then ... ? I thought maybe that would cause it to show up in the "download to" option, but it doesn't.

The bottom line question I still want to answer before I start messing with 3rd party apps is whether or not there is a way to designate a directory on my local machine that periodically (either at designated intervals or when new items are added), would automatically copy the files over to a particular library-connected folder. So I have a folder in my Emby library on the server that mirrors a folder on another computer on my LAN that's used by my photo management application. New photos get added, then shuffled over to my Emby library. I still can't figure out if this plugin can accomplish that, or if the confusion is just semantics & the whole sync vs download terminology. Thank you for indulging me once more on this if you can; getting this to work right will just save me an incredible amount of time.

Hi, you setup your destinations in the folder sync plugin settings. Then those will show up in the download to dialog.

• Agree 1

sundevil67
On 10/30/2023 at 1:31 PM, Luke said:

Hi, you setup your destinations in the folder sync plugin settings. Then those will show up in the download to dialog.

I think I fundamentally misunderstood the role of the plugin. I don't think it can do what I'm after. The terminology is a bit confusing. I have a photo management app that separates libraries into folders, and I want new photos added to that to automatically also be added to Emby, but I think a 3rd party app is going to be necessary. Thanks for your help.

• Like 1