Folder sync configuration?

MBSki

MBSki

Is there any way to configure folder sync? The sync creates a lot of unnecessary folders. Every episode of a TV show gets it's own folder. Every photo gets it's own folder.

@Luke Is there a way to just set it as a straight copy from the source drive? 

MBSki

I hadn't, but it doesn't give me an answer. 

It syncs, and Emby picks it up, but the folder structure is a bit verbose. My biggest issue and maybe my only issue is that every single file gets it's own folder. Can I configure it to NOT do that?

No, it's meant to be used by Emby itself internally, so it stores the files in a way that's consistent and usable to itself.

Przemek

Hello, Can somebody tell me it's possible with that plugin to users sync my movie folder from Emby on their HDD?

Regards.

Hi, that is not the purpose of Folder Sync by design but users always find creative ways of using Emby. :)

Give us a bit more info on what exactly you are trying to accomplish and maybe we can give you an ideal solution to your needs.

Przemek

Hi, @cayars. I'm wandering that users of my Emby server (not admin) can sync my movie folder to their HDD and can watch content offline?

Regards.

Przemek

That is Folder Sync plugin? Because as  I remember I can download single movies without Premiere subscription. I was thinking that plugin allo to sync whole movies folder.

Regards.

No that's standard access control built into Emby and nothing to due with FolderSync which isn't meant to download media to client apps.

Allowing users to download to the app and use "offline media" is a Premiere Feature.
https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44001173099

That link will also show which clients can do this as well.

• 10 months later...
Przemek

Hello, @cayars I have Emby server with my media library on usb HDD and I have also connected second usb HDD where my DietpiOS makes service called Dietpi-Sync. I have there all my data from first hard drive so also the same folders with movies and series from my Emby library. Can I set that second drive to be used for folder sync plugin?

Regards. 

What kind of hardware are you running DietpiOS on? Is it a Pi 4b by any chance?

Theoretically it will work. But this is a case of "Can I do it?" vs "Should I do it?"
What I would do is try it.  What you want to see is if it's using any onboard GPU/Hardware assist that it can when transcoding/converting.
Then you want to see how much overall load it's putting on the system.  While it's working, are you able to use Emby normally while it's processing in the background?

Let it process a good half to full dozen files then take a look at them.  How's the quality? What does the file difference look like between the folder versions and the originals?

That should give you a good heads up on how useful it's going to be on that type of lower end system.  My guess is that it won't be worth it, but I've not tried it.
If you happen to have a PC with a GPU in it you may want to map the source paths so they are available, then install Emby Server on the PC.  Install the plugin on this version with transcoding setup and let it rip in the background.  You don't need to use this PC for streaming and don't need to leave it on 24x7 but a 2nd or 3rd PC setup this way will make the conversion process go much faster.  Done in this fashion using 2 PCs for example you only need load 1 library (movies on one, shows on the other) and let them work on different libs.

Poor man's distributed conversion if you will.  By the same token, if the quality and speed isn't bad from a Raspberry Pi, but it's too much to do this and stream at the same time you could setup a 2nd Pi, just for this purpose and let it rip!

If you do this, let us know how you make out and what the quality is like.

Przemek

Hi @cayars thanks for Your answer. I use Emby on HP miniPC.

```

System: Kernel: 5.10.0-12-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1 Console: tty 0

Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Machine: Type: Mini-pc System: HP product: HP EliteDesk 800 G3 DM 65W v: N/A

serial: <filter>

Mobo: HP model: 829A v: KBC Version 06.29 serial: <filter> UEFI [Legacy]: HP

v: P21 Ver. 02.38 date: 04/21/2021

CPU: Info: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-7500 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Kaby Lake

rev: 9 L2 cache: 6 MiB

flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 27199

Speed: 3752 MHz min/max: 800/3800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3752 2: 3701 3: 3795

4: 3661

Graphics: Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 630 vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915 v: kernel

bus ID: 00:02.0

Display: server: X.org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: i915

note: n/a (using device driver) tty: 97x59

Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console. Try -G --display

Audio: Device-1: Intel 200 Series PCH HD Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard

driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3

Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.10.0-12-amd64

Network: Device-1: Intel Ethernet I219-LM vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: e1000e v: kernel

port: efa0 bus ID: 00:1f.6

IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>

IF-ID-1: br-324c6b86732c state: up speed: 

Drives: Local Storage: total: 8.42 TiB used: 5.07 TiB (60.2%)

ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: SanDisk model: SD8SB8U-256G-1006 size: 238.47 GiB

temp: 44 C

ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Seagate model: Backup+ Hub BK size: 5.46 TiB

ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: Toshiba model: HDWD130 size: 2.73 TiB

Partition: ID-1: / size: 234.73 GiB used: 26.32 GiB (11.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1

Swap: Alert: No Swap data was found.

Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0 C mobo: N/A

Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A

Info: Processes: 198 Uptime: 1d 6h 45m Memory: 7.65 GiB used: 3.98 GiB (52.0%)

Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: N/A Packages: 1086 Shell: Bash v: 5.1.4

```

I don't know how to answer for the rest. I'm not good at that ripping/converting/transcoding stuff.

Regards

Based on that information:

On 3/14/2022 at 6:29 AM, Przemek said:

Can I set that second drive to be used for folder sync plugin?

Yes you certainly can. :)

Przemek

1. Can You tell me that plugin will sava another files there? If I have already copy af all my library in that drive? Or it will use that copys to faster transcoding?
2. Can You tell me also why I don't have sync tab in settings? I can only go to Plugins>Folder-Sync>Settings and set folders there.
3. Do I need to have in that plugin settings my actual library folders or only that where I have backup? Now I have added there my main folders for movies and series. Do I have to remove them and add only my sync folders from external hdd?

Regards.

Edited by Przemek

Przemek
On 3/16/2022 at 9:13 AM, Przemek said:

1. Can You tell me that plugin will sava another files there? If I have already copy af all my library in that drive? Or it will use that copys to faster transcoding?
2. Can You tell me also why I don't have sync tab in settings? I can only go to Plugins>Folder-Sync>Settings and set folders there.
3. Do I need to have in that plugin settings my actual library folders or only that where I have backup? Now I have added there my main folders for movies and series. Do I have to remove them and add only my sync folders from external hdd?

Regards.

Hi @Luke maybe You can help here?

regards.

Przemek
13 hours ago, Luke said:

Yes, I read that and as I sayd above I don't have Sync or Services tab in my Emby dashboard.
1475994878_Zrzutekranuz2022-03-2108-37-44.png.67da6406cf24071f505f110ccad8d589.png13447753_Zrzutekranuz2022-03-2108-37-52.png.a784650e4210ffe0a92a8b0a3c802f12.png

Sorry it's polish but You will understand something like Sync or Services in my language (Sync -> Synchronizacja and Services -> Usługi :))
I can only go to Plugins tab (Wtyczki) and I see that:

110776161_Zrzutekranuz2022-03-2108-38-23.thumb.png.a3c21afd08b23a2321032619916b2bb1.png

There're only my actual library folders for movies amd series.

Regards.

The documentation is out of date, but the transfers that you've scheduled will show up in the Downloads section.

Przemek

Thanks @Luke. Can You answer that questions:
1. Do I need in that plugin settings my Library folders for movies (Filmy) and TV Series (Seriale) [`/mnt/Toshiba/dietpi_userdata/Video/Filmy` and `/mnt/Toshiba/dietpi_userdata/Video/Seriale`] or just add that folders where I have my sync folders [/mnt/Seagate/dietpi-sync/Video/Filmy and ...../Seriale]?
2. Will Emby use that synced files (from /mnt/Seagate/dietpi-sync/Video...) or will add there new files?

Regards. 

Do I need in that plugin settings my Library folders for movies (Filmy) and TV Series (Seriale) [`/mnt/Toshiba/dietpi_userdata/Video/Filmy` and `/mnt/Toshiba/dietpi_userdata/Video/Seriale`] or just add that folders where I have my sync folders [/mnt/Seagate/dietpi-sync/Video/Filmy and ...../Seriale]?

You need the locations of where you want to send converted files to.

Przemek
14 hours ago, Luke said:

You need the locations of where you want to send converted files to.

I ask also if Emby will use files I already have or it have to save there new files?

Regards 

Were the files previously created by folder sync? If yes then there's a good chance it will not resync existing files. If no then it might 

Przemek
15 minutes ago, Luke said:

Were the files previously created by folder sync? If yes then there's a good chance it will not resync existing files. If no then it might 

No, that are files synced by my system with dietpi-sync service.
Regards.