Setting up an epic emby server room.

chef

chef

Yeah, so the province I live in decided to shut things down again. Since my cooking skill won't be needed... again... 😔... I decided to rip apart my basement, and make an epic place to run my emby server!

Mind you, the basement of my little "1950's War time house" hasn't been touched since 1970.

I wired new 14/2, and a whole bunch of low voltage wire for my network setup!

I'm doing this by myself, learning as I go (with regards to low voltage wiring, I'm good enough with electrical), so any tips and tricks would be welcome.

I have run CAT6 thoughout the house. The retrofit took two days... because I'm learning. 

I have added two Ubiquity access points, and a main panel for my networking.

I wired in low profile spot lights. 

A little more framing, and some insulation (which has been on back order for two weeks due to the supply chain being messed up AF).

PXL_20210414_173056703.jpg

PXL_20210414_173031285.jpg

PXL_20210414_173005941.jpg

PXL_20210414_013205667.thumb.jpg.31e1c638726b9383fec872ec059aa883.jpg

She'll never know... 🤣

PXL_20210414_175155808.jpg

My network panel

PXL_20210413_202936032.jpg

Those pot lights are super easy to install

PXL_20210413_202929122.jpg

Edited by chef

Notice a little mildew on the wall ( not that bad if it hasn't been touched since the 70's )... Might look at a moisture block coating if it does have that problem... If you don't and it does you may wind up with mold developing in the sheetrock paper... 

The only other thing... would be a proper Fire Exit for safety... Not for sure how easy for you it would be to do with the concrete walls... but I would suggest an opening big enough to get out of.. and then of course option block for the light for the theatre/emby room... Something that can also be secure as well ( Hilti fasteners, internally released bars ).

I say this in the even a fire starts upstairs.. Most alarms would notify us in time... In a media room however depending on how isolated it is.. and how well the sound would carry ( or if the system is networked throughout the house - setting off all points at the detection of one ).. Would be a thought in my mind.

EDIT: And spray bleach will help get rid of that on the wall too..

Edited by Guest

chef
4 minutes ago, Hxemby001 said:

Notice a little mildew on the wall ( not that bad if it hasn't been touched since the 70's )... Might look at a moisture block coating if it does have that problem... If you don't and it does you may wind up with mold developing in the sheetrock paper... 

The only other thing... would be a proper Fire Exit for safety... Not for sure how easy for you it would be to do with the concrete walls... but I would suggest an opening big enough to get out of.. and then of course option block for the light for the theatre/emby room... Something that can also be secure as well ( Hilti fasteners, internally released bars ).

I say this in the even a fire starts upstairs.. Most alarms would notify us in time... In a media room however depending on how isolated it is.. and how well the sound would carry ( or if the system is networked throughout the house - setting off all points at the detection of one ).. Would be a thought in my mind.

EDIT: And spray bleach will help get rid of that on the wall too..

Like an egressing window? 

I'll start on the mildew immediately! Thank you! I was wondering about how to get rid of it!

Yes.. which would be a BETTER option but.. the one you already have there.. being made big enough to at least crawl out of... in an emergency...

chef
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Looking good  👍 

Are you installing a 19" 1/2 or full rack ?

i've got room for a full one... I suppose a full rack, and start to fill it over time. 

chef
19 minutes ago, Hxemby001 said:

Yes.. which would be a BETTER option but.. the one you already have there.. being made big enough to at least crawl out of... in an emergency...

Wow! The walls cleaned up in under ten minutes with the bleach! Thank you! 

I have also found some roll on rubber coating for basements at my local home depot. Looks like I can curb side pick up a big bucket of it for 60 dollars. 

Thanks for the tips. 

Edited by chef

Some people will actually coat the wall and down on the foundation and out far enough to block moisture contact with the framing and sheetrock.. Not a bad idea IF you can get to it..

chef

PXL_20210417_003055441.thumb.jpg.6d83c663ced45a489d3b5e42a806a3eb.jpg

Added GFI's to this plug. I didn't pig tail the other three receptacles because I want the GFI to trip the rest of them if there is ever a short. This will host the network panel devices. 

PXL_20210417_003112692.thumb.jpg.5afef12c184810fac725546e75cd95e1.jpg

4 port POE injector for the Ubiquity 5g access points, and my 16 port switch.

PXL_20210417_003135887.thumb.jpg.f3ff00a79a697d1b83b0ac96311c48f9.jpg

The Fiber internet connection gets moved to this location tomorrow afternoon.

Just gotta stay 6 feet away from the technician coming into my home. The lockdown got worse for us. We aren't allowed to leave our homes. We could get questioned by law enforcement. So best to stay inside and work on the network closet. 

Thanks again @Hxemby001, most of the the mildew issue seems to have been destroyed!

PXL_20210417_004908461.thumb.jpg.23318f15d0cf778248e5322019836376.jpg

Edited by chef

chef

Only took five tries to make my first working CAT6 cable😶

PXL_20210417_170709465.thumb.jpg.e18be13dfe9e6f9682f4565f58fbb3e5.jpg

But green is good!

PXL_20210418_013013990.thumb.jpg.e7a05194225e5994448c77a5d4701e22.jpg

rbjtech
On 18/04/2021 at 02:31, chef said:

Only took five tries to make my first working CAT6 cable😶

Did you get the 'passthrough' RJ45 plugs - the ones where you pass the wires straight through the plug and then chop all 8 of them off when you crimp it down ?  they are SOOOO much easier to work with .. 👍

chef
17 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Did you get the 'passthrough' RJ45 plugs - the ones where you pass the wires straight through the plug and then chop all 8 of them off when you crimp it down ?  they are SOOOO much easier to work with .. 👍

I did! Yes! But I'm having some issues with them. When the pass through the rj45 plug, they aren't crimping right off, so they end up with little bits of wire at the end. 

chef

PXL_20210419_233706621.thumb.jpg.a53f72d30ebf1c0ecbae2b301cfc2d21.jpg

I am not good at driving dry wall screws. I choose this area because it is small and I needed to practice. I need more practice for sure.  😳

PXL_20210420_155533903.thumb.jpg.afb6ced7cba286f29855cd1df3ee4b8c.jpg

Finally got my development computer back online, and the server. It was down for two days. 

I have a patch panel coming, but my rack is on back order. So I'll shove everything into this box for now.

Edited by chef

rbjtech
15 minutes ago, chef said:

I did! Yes! But I'm having some issues with them. When the pass through the rj45 plug, they aren't crimping right off, so they end up with little bits of wire at the end. 

Hmm, maybe squeeze a few times (you can't 'over crimp' an RJ45 contact blade) as I guess the tool cutting blade might be a bit bent or out of position ?  Side cutters to cut them off as a last resort I guess, but you shouldn't need to.

Looking good - do I see corrugated cable conduit there for your power cables ? - very professional ... 👍

• Thanks 1

chef

PXL_20210422_014432406.thumb.jpg.a9286d6b69d77214f67f4e527fbd79e9.jpg

Welp, this whole project is bigger then I thought it would be 😂🤣

Edited by chef

The next thing I expect to see is an enclosed rack server ( floor to ceiling ) with its own HVAC - the heating. 😜 

I thought about this once...getting around wireless issues and wiring in a new house.. building it from the ground up...

chef

I have a question. I have five of these hard drive enclosurers:

Mediasonic ProRaid HUR5-SU3 2

41AWxgaRbKL._AC_.jpg.2626c500e64406875a36dbd6546c8efc.jpg

I've got to get them accessable to the server from across the room

Should I build a NAS type pc that hosts the drives and is accessable to the server, or should I run USB 3 across the room? 😳

Edited by chef

The only thing that I would say is that to match the USB 3 speed ( Version 2 ).. you would need to be using the NIC cards that support the speed ( 10 GB/s )...

They do make these though.. Light-Link USB, USB 3.0 over Fiber — Sewell Direct

EDIT: I'm jealous now..LOL

Also usually with a NIC , you can upgrade in the future where the MediaSonic is actually as is..

Edited by Guest

rbjtech

Max length for USB3 (at max transfer rate) is realistically about 3m.  So if you want to re-use those devices, then you need to get them closer to the server ;) 

Building a server and re-using the Mediasonic disks is an option - but if it were me, I would rebuilt using new high capacity disks (as direct attached storage) and re-use the Mediasonic devices as offline backup.

A 10+ bay 'NAS' is going to be expensive (if you were to mirror what you have today) - and unless you have 10Gbit networking (doesn't look like it in your pics..) then your bottleneck is going to be the single 1gig interface to it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Max length for USB3 (at max transfer rate) is realistically about 3m.  So if you want to re-use those devices, then you need to get them closer to the server ;) 

Building a server and re-using the Mediasonic disks is an option - but if it were me, I would rebuilt using new high capacity disks (as direct attached storage) and re-use the Mediasonic devices as offline backup.

A 10+ bay 'NAS' is going to be expensive (if you were to mirror what you have today) - and unless you have 10Gbit networking (doesn't look like it in your pics..) then your bottleneck is going to be the single 1gig interface to it.

What did you think about the fiber optic USB 3 cables? Any experience with those?

rbjtech
9 minutes ago, Hxemby001 said:

What did you think about the fiber optic USB 3 cables? Any experience with those?

As a temp workaround - they are probably ok, but for a long term 'system' then they are just adding potential failure points.  If you are going to do it - then do it properly imo ...

I haven't started using fiber optic yet.. was wondering.. my thoughts too were long-term.. 10GB cards/systems/router and wiring.. ( not what he wants to here ).. SAS drives... If something faster comes along you usually can upgrade the other equipment..

I like the affordability of the MediaSonic Boxes and the speed.. not for sure what they allow for drives though

rbjtech

You don't need fiber for 10gig over 'home server' distances - With Cat6 you can go 100m.  It'll even run over Cat5e for shorter distances, with the option of going 5Gb/2.5Gb if you are borderline.

That being said, with emby, the network I/O will seldom be the issue - even a 1 gig network has the capability to transfer/stream ~10 x 4K remux files (@ ~80Mbit/sec) at the same time...

So unless you have a large number of people streaming high bandwidth 4K, 10Gbit for the home network is completely unnecessary imo.

My thought.. ( I think this probably comes from how I use my storage ) is from a data access and usage scenario from the same drives/NAS/Rack Mount.. throughout the whole home.. not just for media.. but in the instance of processing data/files..

Operating/reading/writing - to/from those data repositories for development and systems access... with speed and something that will cover the data streams/traffic... So if your whole home winds up online or on the network.. with lighting control.. alarms.. fire/safety.. work systems.. entertainment systems... phones.. tablets - multiple people.. servers.. for both the systems and online personal/business... and using hard line vs. wifi where it can apply.. 🤔

Maybe that is beyond what he is doing.. but I see a lot of wiring though... thinking I guess of covering the bases while it is all right there.

sooty234

10G is great for home networks that use large date files. I have a 10G network, and I'll never go back. If you rip a movie from disk and you want to movie it to your storage, having it transfer at 350 - 400 MB/s is massively better than 110 - 125 MB/s. Go 10G, and don't hesitate! It'll change your life!

• Like 1