will server backup work for moving from PC to Shield TV pro?

spon

Hi guys. I've been using Emby (premier) for years on my PC but am looking to move the server to Shield TV. I have the server installed there but was wondering if the server backup/restore functionality would work since I'm moving platforms. Thought I would ask before I messed something up. 

Thanks!

Let us know if you hit any problems and we can assist.

Just be smart and COPY things vs move them so you can always reference your old system just in case!

23 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Just wondering why you are moving the server to the Shield?

I was wondering the same thing myself as I'd much rather have Emby running on a PC since it's so much more versatile.

Hey guys. I'll have to get back to you on the answer once I see how it works out. lol. I have an old PC right now running emby server (have used the same machine for probably 5-6 years now) and while it works, there are things about it that I don't like. Not related to Emby necessarily, more PC stuff. 

I was able to get the backup/restore tool to copy everything over to the Shield and it's working well so far. The only problem is that all my collections are missing, I assuming do to the restore tool using the old file paths. Is there any easy way to "Reset" the collections and just scrape again? I didn't have any custom collections - just the stuff from auto box set.

I'll hop back in there after a few weeks and let you guys know my thoughts on how the shield is working vs the old PC. Right now I'm running both, so if I decide to go back to the PC, should be easy enough. Or maybe I'll end up running the server on the PC and using the shield as a front end. Not sure why I didn't think of that to begin with.

17 minutes ago, spon said:

Or maybe I'll end up running the server on the PC and using the shield as a front end

Depending on what your content and needs actually are, that is most likely going to be the best result.