Emby LIVE TV Freezes If More Than 1 Simultaneous Stream

Methodman104

Methodman104

I recently tried sharing my livetv channel with a friend. When they watch the same live channel from their home and I watch it at the same time from my home it freezes up.  This seems to be an issue just with livetv.

My Computer Specs are here...

Processor: Intel Pentium Gold

CPU 6405U  @  2.40 GHz

RAM: 4.00 GHz (3.84 usable)

System: 64 bit, x64 based processor

Windows 10 Home Edition

For settings,

In Emby I set MY Max Simultaneous stream limit to 15 from my server. I left the "set internet streaming bitrate" empty....(my server is also the same Emby account I watch from my tv).

I set my friends Emby Max Simultaneous stream to 2. The "set internet streaming bitrate" is empty.

Is there something I should adjust? Is there something I need to fix?

Edited by Methodman104

Methodman104

embyserver.txtI tried two simultaneous streams just now today...from 3:52pm-4:05pm PST on the same live tv "dizquetv" channel I have running as well, one is on my tv and the other connection is from my phone, with my phone's data so they are not sharing the same wifi network. This time they both play but take turns freezing every 10 seconds when both streams are playing. Here is the RECENT log file from just now.

These are the most recent at the time of this post.

Hope this is useful.

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-66acd222-bcf6-4623-80e6-50c06dec73ed_1.txt hardware_detection-63753920650.txt

Edited by Methodman104

Did either playback generate an ffmpeg log file?

If so upload it them please.

Looking at the transcode log your computer isn't fast enough to process multiple transcodes it would seem.  Looking at the 3rd one show conversion speeds under 1X or slower than real-time.

Methodman104

Thanks for letting me know it was my computer.  What kind of computer speed can handle multiple transcode speeds for multiple viewers of live tv? What is the cheapest computer that would handle this?

Most computer with a decent GPU < $200 (normally) will do the job.

Transcoding when possible is best handed off to a GPU.

My Emby server for example run on an old first gen i7 that doesn't even have quicksync built in.  I have added an Nvidia 1660 GPU and driver unlock and can happy transcode near a dozen movies at the same time and easily do 4 or so HDR to SDR 4K tone map conversions.  All of that is way more than I need for my system.

Do you currently have a GPU in your machine?  Maybe you have what you need already but it's not yet active.

Methodman104
21 hours ago, cayars said:

Do you currently have a GPU in your machine?  Maybe you have what you need already but it's not yet active.

Hello, I appreciate the reply and will consider it. As far as my current machine, how do I find out if it has a GPU?

Methodman104
On 4/16/2021 at 11:51 AM, Luke said:

Hi, has this helped you?

Yes, so far. But clearly I might need a more powerful computer to handle more than 1 stream, especially live tv streams!

RanmaCanada

It appears you only have the integrated video card, but it's a 10th gen according to the specs from Intel.  You should be able to do this if you turn on hardware encoding/decoding as your processor does support quicksync.  Though for some reason the log says hardware decoding is not supported, IF I am reading your log correctly.  If it is falling back to software decode, that would be a problem as your processor only scores 2300 in passmark.  I would also recommend upgrading your ram.  4 gigs is not enough.  Since it appears you are using a laptop, I know your upgrade options are limited.

• Like 1

Methodman104
On 4/19/2021 at 12:03 PM, cayars said:

Could you also show us what your transcode settings look like?

for emby these are the settings. for the app I am using to create livetv has other transcode setting via ffmpgenc. i will post the emby settings though, as i think thats what you are asking about.

4201.JPG

4202.JPG

Edited by Methodman104

Methodman104
On 4/19/2021 at 12:15 PM, RanmaCanada said:

It appears you only have the integrated video card, but it's a 10th gen according to the specs from Intel.  You should be able to do this if you turn on hardware encoding/decoding as your processor does support quicksync.  Though for some reason the log says hardware decoding is not supported, IF I am reading your log correctly.  If it is falling back to software decode, that would be a problem as your processor only scores 2300 in passmark.  I would also recommend upgrading your ram.  4 gigs is not enough.  Since it appears you are using a laptop, I know your upgrade options are limited.

I might upgrade my computer later on, but for now do I turn on hardware encoding/decoding? in quicksync.

3 minutes ago, Methodman104 said:

for emby these are the settings. for the app I am using to create livetv has other transcode setting via ffmpgenc. 

What is the source of your LiveTV?

Are you possibly doing multiple conversions?