TV Naming for Cross-Over Episodes

BruceDavid

BruceDavid

Hi,

I have the complete series of "Homicide" on my Emby server with the following naming convention:

Homicide - SXXEXX - title.mp4 (with each season in a separate directory) under the TV/Homicide directory.

All is working well.

But, there are a few Law & Order cross-over episodes (that is, the story starts in a Law & Order episode and concludes in a Homicide Episode, or vice versa).

I have the Law & Order episodes as separate mp4 files and would like to include them in the Homicide listing.

I tried doing the following:

Homicide - S06E05 - Baby, It's You (Law & Order Crossover Episode, Part 1).mp4

Homicide - S06E05 - Baby, It's You (Part 2).mp4

But when I look at Season 6 in my Emby client (browser), all that shows is the Part 2 episode, not the Law & Order episode.

Can you tell me if there is a way to accomplish what I am trying to do and, if so, how to do it?

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Bruce

Hi, there are some existing topics about this. I would suggest checking these out:

Thanks.

BruceDavid

Thanks. As best as I can tell from looking at those two strings is to create playlist. is there no better way to achieve this? And, if using a playlist is best, is there a way to add a playlist as an "episode" in a season directory?

Thanks.

Happy2Play

You have to do all the naming and metadata but putting the files in season 00 folder or creating strm files in season 00 folder is the best method as specials will be honored in 4.6.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/93004-cross-series-naming-and-playing/&do=findComment&comment=973895

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

BruceDavid

Thanks. Since my Law & Order episodes are only the ones that pertain to Homicide (I don't have Law & Order on Emby other than these this specific episode), I put the episode in the Homicide directory and took the following steps (which I mention in case they help someone else):

1. I added the L&W episode to the Homicide season directory (in my case, season 7).

2. I renamed the L&W episode to be consistent with the Homicide naming convention and used an unused episode number. For example, my last Homicide episode was Homicide - S07E22 - name.mp4 so I added the L&W episode as Homicide - S07E23 - Law and Order episode.mp4.

3. I manually edited the metadata of the L&W episode to rename it what I wanted (in my case, "Law & Order Cross-Over Episode - Sideshow (Part 1)".

4. I manually edited the metadata of the L&W episode to change the episode number (in my case to 14 since the Homicide crossover episode, which is part 2 is episode 15.

5. I manually edited the metadata of the L&W episode to add the episode description (copied and pasted from IMDB, TVDB, etc.).

This way the L&W episode shows up in the Season 7 Homicide directory in the correct order. Note, however, that I do have two episode 14s, one for the actual episode 14 of Homicide and one for the L&W episode. But, at least I have the episode where I want it.

Here is how it looks on Emby (the first episode 14 is the actual Homicide episode, the second episode 14 is the L&W episode):

image.thumb.png.2a9f10b1bbae09273a17fd5ccf396eb6.png

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

rbjtech

This works as you are just substituting the 'crossover' file(s) into the existing show/season.   Good job 👍

The only downside of doing this is during a rebuild/refresh you may find all your work removed - so make sure you lock any metadata changes you have made.

It's probably a little 'safer' to use the other method linked above - which is create a virtual special episode (in season 0) and just link to it via a .strm file.