Bug - iOS Client trailers do not scale when device rotated

adrianwi

adrianwi

I'm sure I've reported this in the past, but can't seem to find anything from a search.

When using the iOS client on my iPhone 12, and playing a trailer from a film title page, a Youtube clip start to play but only fills a small part in the middle of the screen.  When you rotate the phone the expected result is a larger, full-screen playback but it doesn't get much bigger and fills less than half of the screen.

I would be nice to get this fixed.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
3 hours ago, adrianwi said:

Was the solution to this to disable trailers altogether in iOS?

No.

adrianwi

Ok, so the trailer button on the latest version for iOS (2.0.10) on iOS 15.0.1 has disappeared then 😁

IMG_0037.jpeg

adrianwi

Haha.  Is that really a button?  Why are there 3 different styles of button with different colours and sizes on a single screen?  It doesn't strike me as great design or help with the user experience?

Oh, and the trailer when it plays and you rotate the screen, still only sizes to half of the screen 😢

• Like 1

GrimReaper
13 minutes ago, adrianwi said:

Why are there 3 different styles of button with different colours and sizes on a single screen?  It doesn't strike me as great design or help with the user experience?

Yep, it has been asked before:

• 1 month later...
adrianwi

Still not fixed on the latest iOS version 2.1.0

How hard can it be to resize the video when the phone is rotated landscape?  Surely not 6 months difficult?

At least the Trailer button is back 🙃

Edited by adrianwi

• 2 weeks later...

It's a little tricky because the root problem is in the iOS WebView. It can be worked around with a hack, but the workaround needs to be added to the YouTube player, which of course is provided by Google. We'll see what we can do.

adrianwi

There's a slight improvement with this in 2.1.1.

If I start the trailer with the phone in landscape, the trailer fills more of the screen.  It's still a little random as to how much of it is presented, but it's better than only the filling the left-hand half.  If I rotate the device to portrait and then back to landscape, it's back to just filling the left-hand half!

• Thanks 1