SOLVED: Nvidia Shield Low Memory Warnings

Netfool
Go to solution Solved by Netfool,

• Solution
Netfool

The 2019 Nvidia Shield Pro is by far my favorite set-top box.  The remote is far more capable than the über stylized AppleTV remote.

However, I have come to the conclusion that the Shield is simply not an acceptable server platform.

After putting up with months of "critically low memory" messages appearing on the screen every few minutes in spite of a half-terabyte SSD in the second USB slot, hundreds of GB of free space showing in the Shields panel, and cache-clearing operations solving the problem for less than an hour, I moved to the MacOS version of the server. 

I also had several instances of Emby Server DB corruption apparently caused by household members pressing the power-off button on the Shield remote.

After two months of running the Emby Client on the Shield with the Server on the Mac, there has never been a "low memory" message on the shield despite adding a clients for a couple of streaming services to the system.

Many thanks to everyone here who helped me fight the ongoing battle with the Shield server.   Hope to see you all in the MacOS forum.

• Like 1