Emby and Multi-Bay Hard Drive Enclosures

JohnGerrald

JohnGerrald

First off, I'd like to say that Emby is just what I want for streaming my movies to new Samsung Smart TV.  It's a beautiful layout and I can control everything with my TV remote. But, here's the problem. I have four hard drives in a MediaSonic Pro enclosure where each hard drive has a movie folder I have added to an Emby library, but Emby will only scan one of the drives.  Emby server is running on the latest Windows 10. I have all the permissions on all four drives, shared them, and added the drives to a library named "Movies". I have added the drives with the normal method. When that didn't work I added the drives with the network path to each drive. That doesn't work, either. Since I find nothing on the forum about not using an external hard drive enclosure I'm assuming that Emby should work with them. Aren't some of the community members using USB multi-bay hard drive enclosures successfully? I would greatly appreciate any insights on this problem. I have suspected that the USB bridge on the enclosure might have something to do with this failure. Any thoughts on what might be wrong?

Are any of the shares password protected?

EDIT: Do these things really get 5.0 Gbps transfer speed?

Edited by Guest

JohnGerrald

I think I just figured it out...finally. The problem appears to be folder naming. Seems I have to use network paths like this:

\\brix\movies2, where before I had \\server\brix\movies.

"brix" is computer running Emby Server. It's a Gigabyte mini-computer with an AMD Ryzen cpu.

I'll continue working with this to see if Emby scans all the files. 

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated, made me think harder and look closer. 

What I had before was only only part of a library scanning. With the Emby client on my 65" Samsung the layout and information is just beautiful, plenty of movie information, etc., and the best part is I can control with the Samsung remote. 

I was beginning to think that I would have to get one super large hard drive to hold all the movies. 

Thank you, again, for helping. I may be the happiest new Emby user of all.

• Like 1