Playback of *.iso Files (DVD Menu)

Florian2000

Florian2000

Hi,

currently the playback of iso files is basically experimental. Is there any chance that you are able to implement the capability of the VLC player for iso handling? Because under windows the VLC player is already perfect for handling iso files respectively DVD menus...

Under Android / FireTV even VLC player cannot handle the .iso DVD menu correctly.

Would be great if emby can reach this goal as first media server which is able to playback complete DVD collections properly.

Thank you!

Br, Florian

• Like 1

Hi, if this were 2010 we might make this a high priority, but alas, it's 2021 and not many people are using .iso files anymore. So the reality is, while we never say never, this is unlikely to happen. I would suggest converting to mkv video files for the best possible experience.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Florian2000
19 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, if this were 2010 we might make this a high priority, but alas, it's 2021 and not many people are using .iso files anymore. So the reality is, while we never say never, this is unlikely to happen. I would suggest converting to mkv video files for the best possible experience.

is the dvd menu kept with mkv?

4 minutes ago, Florian2000 said:

is the dvd menu kept with mkv?

No, so you'd have to embrace the menus with Emby that allow you to navigate and play your files.

• Like 1

Florian2000
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

No, so you'd have to embrace the menus with Emby that allow you to navigate and play your files.

this sounds like a pain...is there any instruction how to keep the dvd menu and have it in "modern" format so that emby can play it like a dvd?

pwhodges

I don't imagine so.  It is easy enough to rip the menu backgrounds and music, though, if you simply want to save them as extras to enjoy separately.

Paul

11 minutes ago, Florian2000 said:

this sounds like a pain...is there any instruction how to keep the dvd menu and have it in "modern" format so that emby can play it like a dvd?

No, but you could use backdrop images to simulate the menus, as well as theme music.

I think most people who are faced with decision tend to immediately think of it in terms of what they think they're going to be losing, but they don't realize all of the flexibility they'll be gaining by switching to plain video files.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

clarkss12

I have 4 movie ISO's that I have for testing, just incase Emby does play it with menus.........  

Guess I did if for nostalgic sake.........

But when I tried to play on my Windows 10 machine using VLC, here is the message I got.

Java required:

This Blu-ray disc requires Java for menus support.Java was not found on your system.

The disc will be played without menus.

Java required:

This Blu-ray disc requires Java for menus support.Java was not found on your system.

The disc will be played without menus.

Try MPC-HC.. I have never seen this before.. I don't use Java on my system.. haven't in almost a decade and a half..

I have kept ONE ISO file.. but it is because it is a 3D special version of an Adult Film.. I have the 2D file version.. but the only way to make it work right is to have a certain TV and player.. otherwise you wind up using something that fakes the 3D with glasses..

ISO's can be ripped just like DVD's in a drive too BTW.. You technically get rid of menus.. and separate the files during conversion for trailers or extras..  Something like Emby will give you all of that on the Movie Details screen and allow you to select them all for playback..

pwhodges

Blu-ray menus are programmed in Java.  DVD ones are not.

See for example these instructions for playing BD menus in VLC - step 3 is to install Java.

Paul

• 2 months later...
codechurn

I too would like to see better playback of dvds. I have a whole collection ripped and it's nice to have them in their native format with menus and extras. 

Edited by golaat

Florian2000
5 minutes ago, golaat said:

I too would like to see better playback of dvd

At least VLC on Windows does a great job in playing *.iso

Kind of pitty that it's not possible to take the code from VLC and use it with emby?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Florian2000 said:

At least VLC on Windows does a great job in playing *.iso

Kind of pitty that it's not possible to take the code from VLC and use it with emby?

It's not that simple. You can't just use that code in a web browser or something like Roku 

codechurn

Yeah, if only it was that simple :) T

Luke - This JavaScript project looked promising, but it has not had any love since 2018. I haven't tried it, but it certainly sounds like it would be great in the browser.

• 7 months later...
svyaznoy362

Добрый день. Будет ли поддержка 3d iso ? Есть внешний плеер, который читает данный формат, использую сервер на debian.

10 hours ago, svyaznoy362 said:

Добрый день. Будет ли поддержка 3d iso ? Есть внешний плеер, который читает данный формат, использую сервер на debian.

Hi, no update on this yet, sorry. For the best experience possible we suggest converting to mkv.

• 2 years later...

I want to start transitioning to either Emby or Plex but I too have a lot of ISO content I don't want to convert to MKV.  I think it would be well worth it to add ISO transcode to Emby.