Subtitles not showing on Emby Theater for Desktop, but showing on Emby Theater from the Store

aenon83
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

SmileFlower
17 hours ago, Luke said:

I tested S01E01 and they worked on the first try in Emby Theater for windows desktop:

Untitled.png

If you click to switch to the next episode, it will not be the preset language subtitles

6 hours ago, SmileFlower said:

If you click to switch to the next episode, it will not be the preset language subtitles

What is the preset? Your subtitle selection from one video does not apply to the next video.

SmileFlower
4 hours ago, Luke said:

What is the preset? Your subtitle selection from one video does not apply to the next video.

The default language is Chinese. The first click to play is Chinese. Clicking the next episode is not my default language

You can't set it by pressing the arrow

1.png

SmileFlower
4 hours ago, Luke said:

If you want to fix it, can you close the subtitles before playing and then delay loading the subtitles

SmileFlower
4 hours ago, Luke said:

You can try to turn subtitles on and off manually, so that my preset language subtitles can be loaded correctly

@cayars can you go through this with his sample files and test what he's doing to see if you find an issue? 

It sounds to me like he might be expecting his selection from one video file pass to another, which we don't do. Thanks.

• Like 1

Sure, I'll go back and re-read from the Op post to current to make sure I don't miss anything and do some testing.

For some reason the zipping and download of the sample files was taking forever. It just completed so I have the sample files now.
I'm adding them to my system now for testing.

@SmileFlower, I'm going to use these settings in my testing:image.png.4eeb18053d8b1200e2ec4951dca5d63a.png

Does this look correct? I do not want Emby to remember my track selections as I may need to retest multiple times so I have the remember option turned off.

Can you do a test with me using S01E01.mkv?
Turn on stats for nerds from the cog menu in playback and grab a screen shot of the SFN info.
If you get an ffmpeg log file generated for this playback also please upload that as well.
Can you tell me what version of Emby Theater for Desktop you currently have installed?

Thanks, look forward to your answers and info so I can try to get the same results as you.
I'm getting ready to start testing myself as well.

Carlo

SmileFlower
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

For some reason the zipping and download of the sample files was taking forever. It just completed so I have the sample files now.
I'm adding them to my system now for testing.

@SmileFlower, I'm going to use these settings in my testing:image.png.4eeb18053d8b1200e2ec4951dca5d63a.png

Does this look correct? I do not want Emby to remember my track selections as I may need to retest multiple times so I have the remember option turned off.

Can you do a test with me using S01E01.mkv?
Turn on stats for nerds from the cog menu in playback and grab a screen shot of the SFN info.
If you get an ffmpeg log file generated for this playback also please upload that as well.
Can you tell me what version of Emby Theater for Desktop you currently have installed?

Thanks, look forward to your answers and info so I can try to get the same results as you.
I'm getting ready to start testing myself as well.

Carlo

Emby Theater for Windows

SmileFlower
4 hours ago, Luke said:

@cayars can you go through this with his sample files and test what he's doing to see if you find an issue? 

It sounds to me like he might be expecting his selection from one video file pass to another, which we don't do. Thanks.

But I use emby for Android 3.2.19 to test that it is loaded normally

Is it only Theater for Desktop that has the issue reported here?

In theater can you click the person icon top right and tell me the version you see here:
image.png.d7211f219c1a09dc04aaba0937ba3f3d.png

Thanks

SmileFlower
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

In theater can you click the person icon top right and tell me the version you see here:

Thanks

This is the problem video I recorded

https://emby.media/community/uploads/monthly_2021_09/1553262833_bandicam2021-09-1311-09-27-524.mp4.4a891473968b78d2bd86157ef5a1e95e.mp4

SmileFlower
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

Thanks

My default language is Chinese. As you can see from the video, as long as you click the next episode, you can't correctly load my default subtitles. You need to manually turn off and turn on to use my default language subtitles

Yes I saw that video and know what to look for. But one last question before I start that I asked.

What format is it playing back in?  You can get this from cog menu/stats for nerds.

Is the playback method Direct Play the whole time while you change the subtitle to get it to work or does it show a different method of playback?

SmileFlower
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

Yes I saw that video and know what to look for. But one last question before I start that I asked.

What format is it playing back in?  You can get this from cog menu/stats for nerds.

Is the playback method Direct Play the whole time while you change the subtitle to get it to work or does it show a different method of playback?

Direct play

Subtitles are external SRT subtitles. These subtitles will not be transcoded, right

You can test it with the sample video I provided

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1D8FKhGPIviEya0cIGVAilg9emGhTZPMl?usp=sharing

Edited by SmileFlower

OK I believe I know exactly what you're issue is.

In both our setups we had Chinese Simplified selected.
When I played back any of the 3 episode the subtitle selection was off.

I then went to my account settings and changed my subtitle preferences to Chinese Traditional and the subs played right from the start.

image.png.9df67247435f2ac444d062fe0b2deb35.png

image.png.2dfc731fc7b46006af811062694d4a88.png

You won't be able to test this yourself on any files you've already played back if you had it set to remember your subtitle preference.

You could however add a new home video library with a new empty folder. Take these 3 files and copy them to this folder and scan the library.
Being it's a home video folder there will not be meta data or any save subtitle method.  So you can retest on these files.
For testing with these new files you might want to turn off saving the subtitle preference so you can test multiple times.

Let me know how this works for you selecting Chinese Traditional.

Carlo

SmileFlower
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

I then went to my account settings and changed my subtitle preferences to Chinese Traditional and the subs played right from the start.

You won't be able to test this yourself on any files you've already played back if you had it set to remember your subtitle preference.

You could however add a new home video library with a new empty folder. Take these 3 files and copy them to this folder and scan the library.
Being it's a home video folder there will not be meta data or any save subtitle method.  So you can retest on these files.
For testing with these new files you might want to turn off saving the subtitle preference so you can test multiple times.

Carlo

1.png

2.png

SmileFlower
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

Carlo

My default language is simplified Chinese, but at the same time, I use emby for Android 3.2.19 without this problem and can load normally

Can you try what I suggest making a copy of these files and testing with Chinese Traditional selected to see if they will auto play?

BTW, in my testing I was clicking the green playback button and not going into the detail screen which is going to have a subtitle drop down box.  I wanted it to auto select the sub on it's own.

image.png.efb4dcfa8a8183e684bb731ddcda7051.png

Happy2Play

FYI if this is a language issue you can make this generic Chinese subtitles Chinese Simplified by naming it zh-cn.

I tried to follow and test this but was unable to replicate what OP demonstrated in videos.

SmileFlower
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

FYI if this is a language issue you can make this generic Chinese subtitles Chinese Simplified by naming it zh-cn.

I tried to follow and test this but was unable to replicate what OP demonstrated in videos.

Still can't load

O~}5X2B1XUQ$WL@Y68G7R$N.png

QQ截图20211020105723.png

SmileFlower
1 minute ago, cayars said:

Are you testing on brand new media never played back before?

I rebuilt embyserver, and it's still the same

Subtitles can only be displayed normally after closing subtitles and then selecting my language