DS920+ transcoding freezes

Hello,

I have recently build up a emby server version 4.5.4.0 on my DS920+ DSM 6.2.4-25556, the hardware decoders are rightfully appeared and I put transcoding thread count to max. But when I watch a 4K hevc movie, the transcoding is very very slow and with a lots blurs freezes etc. And I tried to lower the quality and tried some 1080p hevc but the resultats are the same.

And I tried both docker and package, the package is better in term of the performance of transcoding.

You can have all the details below, please help me out, I'm not an expert into this kind of thing.

Thanks a lot.

config.thumb.jpg.2b602fcdcb2ce6035c73dc9ba2255655.jpg

giphy.gif

transcoding.png.8989c09381bae61f915e7a27cd4d8684.pngvideo.png.1232204015dac06be8a5c821ce8e1c6a.png

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-8ddcce7c-d525-4ec2-8639-fa53446394f3_1.txt

Edited by Icxlo

As for the player, I tried emby web and emby ios, the transcoding issus are the same.

With infuse ios, it choices direct play, there are no issus.

But I prefers to have an idea why the transcoding is freezing like that.

• 1 month later...

Hi @Icxlo, we're about to release Emby Server 4.6. I would suggest trying again with that once available, or trying the beta server install if you'd like to try it sooner. Thanks.

Just an observation but if using 4.5 Server and that HDR 4K media it's going to strip out the HDR during transcode and likely leave you with a flat looking video.

On 4.6 on the 920+ it can do tone mapping of HDR to SDR (fast too) to either 4K or 1080 giving you a much better picture.  I watched a few 4K HDR movies yesterday to a 1080 SDR TV just to test this out and it worked really well for me.  I was impressed the 920+ could do that.  Transcoding to 4K did stutter once in a while but the file wasn't on the NAS and was being pulled from a Windows Server which was folder mounted on the Synology.

• 3 weeks later...

Please can you share what steps you did for hardware transcoding to work on DS920+ ? I tried but its not working..!

On 5/9/2021 at 8:53 PM, Luke said:

Hi @Icxlo, we're about to release Emby Server 4.6. I would suggest trying again with that once available, or trying the beta server install if you'd like to try it sooner. Thanks.

Thank you, I tried, it works a lot better.

23 minutes ago, DJX said:

Ah you are using docker.

I can get encoding to work with VAAPI but not decoding 😕

I'm using docker, everything is fine now with the beta version.

55 minutes ago, Icxlo said:

I'm using docker, everything is fine now with the beta version.

Does the docker registry via DSM show the latest beta version? Or did you have to import it seperately somehow?

4 minutes ago, DJX said:

Does the docker registry via DSM show the latest beta version? Or did you have to import it seperately somehow?

Yes. only takes you to make choice into latest or beta version when you pull it from registry. I'm on version 4.7

Edited by Icxlo

9 minutes ago, Icxlo said:

Yes. only takes you to make choice into latest or beta version when you pull it from registry. I'm on version 4.7

Thanks I may take a look at replacing my install with a docker version at some point then!