Non-TVDB Specials Naming

nmkaufman
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

nmkaufman

I would love it if Emby would abbreviate the names for my non-canonical television episodes.

For example, if I have a special named "Show Name - S00E101 - Episode Name.mp4"

Emby shows:  "Special -  Show Name - S00E101 - Episode Name"

But I wish it would simply show "Special - Episode Name"

I realize you can manually change the name, in Emby, but I have entire series that are divorced from TVDB, so that's a few hundred (maybe thousand) episodes.

Edited by nmkaufman
  • Like 1

Hi.  I'm not sure I understand what you are requesting.  If you simply remove the first " - " in your file names, you will get the display you wish, I believe.

nmkaufman

The show title and season/episode number don't appear in the episode title when the episode is properly recognized by TVDB.

The screenshots I added should help make more sense.

Instead of showing Special - Money Heist - s00E103 - Netflix S01E03

It should just display Special - Netflix s01E03

It becomes a problem because in certain views the only part of the episode title you can see is the show name, which isn't helpful at all. (example attached)

Edited by nmkaufman

Happy2Play

The issue is unidentified specials use FileName and identified specials us episode name.

So the user needs to apply true title in metadata.

nmkaufman

Alright, I did a regular expression find & replace "<title>show name - s..e... - " with "<title>" on all the nfo files for one of my series. Works fine.

I still think it might be a nice feature to simple ignore the show title being present in unrecognized episode titles, tho.

I'm not necessarily tech-inclined, but I'm sure there are less tech literate people using this software, as well.

Edited by nmkaufman

• Solution
Happy2Play

All Emby is doing is providing unidentified filename since the information does not exist.  I guess it could assume/guess everything after SxxExx is the Title.

Just like you have to manually apply Airs During Season and Airs before Episode information if you want then to appear in specific season and position.

• Like 1

nmkaufman
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Just like you have to manually apply Airs During Season and Airs before Episode information if you want then to appear in specific season and position.

Didn't even know this was an option. Very cool.

It's not a big deal, I'm sure most people can figure out the notepad++ bulk replace method. 

Just something I hope gets kept in mind if this is ever getting a rewrite for other reasons.

The problem is that making any sort of assumption about the file name for an unidentified item would undoubtedly lead to problems for other situations.  So I don't think that is very likely for us to do.