Remote access issues

GrumpyTrucker

GrumpyTrucker

Only been using Emby for a few days so still getting used to it. Initially I couldn't access my server remotely but for some reason it suddenly started working after a few days. However, currently I'm unable to access the server remotely again. Is there an issue with waking the server remotely if the mac is sleeping? I can't find any setting to "wake on LAN" or "wake for network access" but could be missing it.

On my startup screen in the app I can see my server - which it won't connect to - and I can sign in with Emby Connect. Signing in just brings me straight back to this same screen again.

Being used to Plex that would wake my server within a minute if I accessed remotely this just seems a little weird and I'm hoping I'm just missing the obvious.

GrumpyTrucker
7 minutes ago, Hxemby001 said:

Have you enabled Wake for network access on the system? - How to Remotely Wake a Mac from Sleep with Wake On LAN from iPhone (osxdaily.com)

Otherwise I would say it could be a network/router issue. Did you try manually entering the IP address? 

The Mac wakes for remote access for Plex so that's not an issue, or shouldn't be, and for any other reason I try to do so. Just seems Emby doesn't do it. My server shows in the app but can't connect. I've entered the IP address manually and just get the same "unable to connect, check the server is running" error.

Going to try and trouble shoot when I get back home.

GrumpyTrucker

It seems that even if I'm on the local network and the Mac sleeps then the connection to the Emby server is lost and will not reawaken / reconnect. However, if I open up Plex on my phone and allow that to load my Plex library the Emby app connects to my Emby server just fine. So the issue does seem to be that my install of Emby won't / can't wake up the Mac (or library server). No idea why though.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
GrumpyTrucker
On 5/25/2021 at 10:13 PM, Luke said:

Hi @GrumpyTrucker, are you still having an issue with this?

Welp, I am indeed still having issues with this. I'd forgotten all about it though and even posted a new thread about it. Still exactly the same issue: Emby will not wake a sleeping Mac to access the content, however if I launch Plex that will wake the Mac no problem at all then I can access Emby. I have also recently changed ISP and so have a newer router, and that hasn't changed things.

metropical

suggestion: in prefs/energy

I keep my Mac awake all the time, but my display sleeps after 15 mins.

My server is a MacPro3,1 c2008 running High Sierra.

I've had the same issue as you, but the MP is hacked with High Sierra and that was an issue until I corrected.

I still can't connect to remote side from the local location.  But a couple friends connect remotely from their smart TV Emby app without issue.

GrumpyTrucker
18 hours ago, metropical said:

suggestion: in prefs/energy

I keep my Mac awake all the time, but my display sleeps after 15 mins.

My server is a MacPro3,1 c2008 running High Sierra.

I've had the same issue as you, but the MP is hacked with High Sierra and that was an issue until I corrected.

I still can't connect to remote side from the local location.  But a couple friends connect remotely from their smart TV Emby app without issue.

I can connect remotely just fine IF the Mac / server is awake. But honestly, the price of electricity going the way it is I'm not sure I can have the Mac + connected HDDs pulling 100w 24/7. When everything is asleep and spun down it drops to 30w or less. Could really do with the whole thing being allowed to sleep and spin down when not needed. As I say, accessing my Plex server remotely with the app wakes the whole system up no problem, but for some reason accessing via Emby does not. Not a huge issue for me, since I can launch Plex, then Emby. But I have a music server that a couple of family members use and I don't want to be installing Plex on their phones just to wake up Emby.

I've looked everywhere I can and can't find anywhere to allow the Emby server to wake the system on being pinged by the app.

On 2/26/2022 at 2:10 PM, GrumpyTrucker said:

however if I launch Plex

Hi, do you mean launching Plex on the Mac, or from another device? If another device, what device?

• 2 weeks later...
GrumpyTrucker
On 2/27/2022 at 7:44 PM, Luke said:

Hi, do you mean launching Plex on the Mac, or from another device? If another device, what device?

Hi Luke. Sorry for not replying sooner. Just found the forum notification emails in SPAM. Launching Plex from the same phone the Emby app is on, while out of home network, wakes the Mac just fine. Launching Emby does not. It does wake if on the home network, just not remotely.

• 4 months later...
On 3/12/2022 at 6:37 AM, GrumpyTrucker said:

Hi Luke. Sorry for not replying sooner. Just found the forum notification emails in SPAM. Launching Plex from the same phone the Emby app is on, while out of home network, wakes the Mac just fine. Launching Emby does not. It does wake if on the home network, just not remotely.

HI @GrumpyTrucker are you still running into this?

• 5 months later...

I’m not grumpy trucker, but I also have a Mac waking issue. I use Plex on my iPad just to wake the Mac from sleep so I can then use Emby on my iPad to watch content stored on that Mac, which is on my home network. It would be great if Emby could wake the Mac on my home network and I could get rid of Plex entirely.

Edited by Dx11