setting up caddy on a Mac. I have no idea!

brabs

Hi everyone. I am trying to secure my Emby server on my Mac, so I can share with my mum. Ive found a few videos on YouTube on  how to do it with caddy 2. but When it comes to command lines I'm useless and unsure.It also looks like I need to install some brew thing via command line too. I like the idea of using caddy for the auto ssl. I can use ddns in my Draytek router for domain. Is there an idiots guide for this, as most videos I see seems to assume you know command lines. Or is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance

hi Hxemby001, I had a quick look at that and a lot seems windows based. I would also like to make it more set and forget with regards to ssl certificates. I don't mind getting through some nitty gritty getting caddy setup. but its all bait scary at the moment.

4 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, how far have you gotten?

Hi Luke, I have a ddns through my Draytek router "XXXXX.drayddns.com"

That is all at the moment. I'm not sure whether caddy reverse proxy or Cloudflare are the best option. Are one of them all I need now?

2 hours ago, Luke said:

What about nginx? That seems to be quite popular.

Does nginx sort my ssl certificate out of the box?

1 hour ago, Luke said:

What do you mean by sort? It supports SSL.

I mean like auto renew? I would like it to be a set and forget type thing if possible.

pir8radio
On 4/5/2021 at 5:35 PM, brabs said:

I mean like auto renew? I would like it to be a set and forget type thing if possible.

10 hours ago, Luke said:

@pir8radio may know the answer to that question.

Not with a basic setup "out of the box" no,  But it can be done, and there are posts on here as to how to set this up...  Let us know if you can't find it.  I didn't write that how-to but I know its in the forums somewhere. 

5 hours ago, pir8radio said:

Not with a basic setup "out of the box" no,  But it can be done, and there are posts on here as to how to set this up...  Let us know if you can't find it.  I didn't write that how-to but I know its in the forums somewhere. 

Hi pir8radio, I found the how to Nginx thread but reading the first post makes it sound to hard for me, I'm not great with terminal either. the author of that post (Swynol) was the one who also did a write up for Cloudflare, then I see caddy the preferred way for other uses. The Cloudflare way seems it might be good, but I don't understand the name servers part and the pictures are now missing.

I'm having change of plan, I'm waiting delivery of a newer Draytek router that along with ddns (DrayDDNS), can also get and renew certificates with letsencrypt. hoping this might be an easier way to encrypt. I will come back and let you know how I go in a week or so.

ok, I have got new router. and have set up DrayDDNS domain. I have applied ssl certificate in the router. I have in emby network settings under secure connection mode "handled by reverse proxy" I'm not sure what to do now, I think I'm over my head

On 4/16/2021 at 9:29 PM, brabs said:

ok, I have got new router. and have set up DrayDDNS domain. I have applied ssl certificate in the router. I have in emby network settings under secure connection mode "handled by reverse proxy" I'm not sure what to do now, I think I'm over my head

HI, that's probably it. Did you setup port forwarding on the ssl port?

2 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, that's probably it. Did you setup port forwarding on the ssl port?

No I haven’t done any port forwarding. What ports need to be forwarded? Never done port forwarding before. There is a section in the router settings called port redirection, would that be it?

I can connect remotely with phone 4G connection using http on port 8096. I also have the option “enable automatic port mapping”enabled.
When trying https in port 8920. I don’t get connection. Does this go beyond the automatic port mapping? Is there a different port I need to use with the Draytek routers ssl certificate? It’s a vigor 2870 model if that helps.

On 4/22/2021 at 6:10 AM, brabs said:

ive popped this in my router and still not working, its this correct?

676970459_ScreenShot2021-04-22at8_08_00pm.png.bd1283afa3d70e90fe25a220da48c93a.png

Hi there, are you certain the private IP is correct? Does your ISP allow traffic through these ports?

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi there, are you certain the private IP is correct? Does your ISP allow traffic through these ports?

private ip is the internal address of my iMac, is this correct? I have it binded to the Mac address in my Draytek router. I don't believe my isp blocks those ports, but is there a way to find out? I can get http traffic through port 8096.