Playback Error exceeded streaming limit only for one movie

zebo51

zebo51

This is only happening on one of my movies, the new Justice league.  Running it under my account which is an admin, no limits.  There was a global limit of 3 streams, but I increased that to 10 and it didn't help.  The movie starts/plays on my phone using the emby app, also starts/plays using a web browser on my PC.  This is only happening on my Roku.  I have tried two different Rokus and the same results. 

The green bar starts like typical when loading content.  Then flickers and errors out. 

I turned on debugging for the logs and can provide that to whichever admin wants to look and help out.  I don't like posting logs to the public.

Thanks

20210401_162511.jpg.946e5dead8a926c49375433122f3c4a1.jpg

Hi there, can you please attach the emby server log from when this happened? Thanks.

zebo51
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, can you please attach the emby server log from when this happened? Thanks.

PM'd log

Thanks

Was this item transcoding? Playback recovery error correction will immediately retry. There may be multiple ffmpeg processes during this interval. That might be what is causing the problem. I do have times using playback recovery (or when using the play next button when an item transcodes) on the Beta server that there are multiple ffmpeg processes (due to hardware transcoding) that eventually time out. Could that be what this is? It takes longer to start a stream. Can go to the task manager and see Emby has multiple ffmpeg processes for a bit.

If you REMUX that item with MKVToolNix GUI and just create a new MKV copying everything all streams. That might solve the problem because this is likely a header issue inside that file. Once you correct the header issue it may solve the problem entirely and can direct play without any errors.

MakeMKV can/will produce media the Roku cannot direct play: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22707

Edited by speechles

Hi, are you sure the server log you sent is from the time when the problem occurred? I don't see the rate limit being applied during the time of that log file.

zebo51
On 4/2/2021 at 9:47 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  Please also send a log from the app right after this occurs.  Thanks.

Sent

On 4/3/2021 at 2:23 AM, Luke said:

Hi, are you sure the server log you sent is from the time when the problem occurred? I don't see the rate limit being applied during the time of that log file.

Yes it was.  I PM'd you another one to go along with the app file that should have gotten sent also.

zebo51
On 4/2/2021 at 9:59 AM, speechles said:

Was this item transcoding? Playback recovery error correction will immediately retry. There may be multiple ffmpeg processes during this interval. That might be what is causing the problem. I do have times using playback recovery (or when using the play next button when an item transcodes) on the Beta server that there are multiple ffmpeg processes (due to hardware transcoding) that eventually time out. Could that be what this is? It takes longer to start a stream. Can go to the task manager and see Emby has multiple ffmpeg processes for a bit.

If you REMUX that item with MKVToolNix GUI and just create a new MKV copying everything all streams. That might solve the problem because this is likely a header issue inside that file. Once you correct the header issue it may solve the problem entirely and can direct play without any errors.

MakeMKV can/will produce media the Roku cannot direct play: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22707

I'm not sure if it was transcoding or direct, not sure how to tell.  It happens on my local network and no one else is watching anything that would be trying to compete for resources.

Edited by zebo51

You need to have the video player opened to see the stats for nerds in the Roku app. You need to be inside the video player when it is playing. Then press down on the remote to open the OSD. Find the gear/cog and click it to open the playback menu. That menu has the stats for nerds to enable. Once enabled it will persist. It will continue to show up on subsequent playback. Until you disable it again. It should show up and give a clue what is happening.

It might not show up if the item is stuck on buffering. We need to make sure we are having the stats for nerds appear immediately when playback is initiated. We might be waiting until we think playback has begun. We can change this to make it show up as quickly as possible if it is not already.

You can also use the dashboard active devices to see what is happening. It will show everything on the server that shows as an active device.

zebo51
13 hours ago, speechles said:

You need to have the video player opened to see the stats for nerds in the Roku app. You need to be inside the video player when it is playing. Then press down on the remote to open the OSD. Find the gear/cog and click it to open the playback menu. That menu has the stats for nerds to enable. Once enabled it will persist. It will continue to show up on subsequent playback. Until you disable it again. It should show up and give a clue what is happening.

It might not show up if the item is stuck on buffering. We need to make sure we are having the stats for nerds appear immediately when playback is initiated. We might be waiting until we think playback has begun. We can change this to make it show up as quickly as possible if it is not already.

You can also use the dashboard active devices to see what is happening. It will show everything on the server that shows as an active device.

I used the dashboard and it shows direct play.  It errors out within a few seconds, time counter never starts.

When you sent that last app log, did you see the same dialog and message as in your original screen shot?  If so, then there may be a problem in the app showing you the wrong message because this is just a general playback error with the stream.

zebo51
30 minutes ago, ebr said:

When you sent that last app log, did you see the same dialog and message as in your original screen shot?  If so, then there may be a problem in the app showing you the wrong message because this is just a general playback error with the stream.

No, I increased the limit so now just see the red error alert.

It is like it tries to restart 3-4 times. The green bar keeps staring like it's loading, then starts again and again then errors. 

Edited by zebo51

2 minutes ago, zebo51 said:

No, I increased the limit so now just see the red error alert.

Okay, so this is a different issue and appears to be an issue with the stream itself.

zebo51
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, so this is a different issue and appears to be an issue with the stream itself.

I can set my limit back?  Either way it still ends with a play back error. 

Don't think I have ever tried to play a 4 hour movie.

1 hour ago, zebo51 said:

Don't think I have ever tried to play a 4 hour movie.

Oh, this is only happening on one item and it is 4 hours long?  If so, then that is the issue.  There is currently an issue with the Roku handling items that long.

zebo51
12 minutes ago, ebr said:

Oh, this is only happening on one item and it is 4 hours long?  If so, then that is the issue.  There is currently an issue with the Roku handling items that long.

My searching mist be bad, can't find anything about roku issues playing long movies or justice league.

Do you have a link?

Thanks

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/Is-Roku-32bit-or-64bit/m-p/537762

The 32bit Roku will always have this problem. But some 64bit Roku have firmware that is meant for 32bit (the 64bit version is too buggy). They need to update the devices with that incorrect firmware (confirmed Roku ultra LT has this problematic firmware). That is why the 4GB bug has cropped up again on 64bit Roku devices.

Here is the original issue:
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=105154

Is this file an MP4 or an MKV? If this is an MP4 you might try repackage as MKV and see how far it gets.

Edited by speechles

zebo51
58 minutes ago, speechles said:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/Is-Roku-32bit-or-64bit/m-p/537762

The 32bit Roku will always have this problem. But some 64bit Roku have firmware that is meant for 32bit (the 64bit version is too buggy). They need to update the devices with that incorrect firmware (confirmed Roku ultra LT has this problematic firmware). That is why the 4GB bug has cropped up again on 64bit Roku devices.

Here is the original issue:
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=105154

Is this file an MP4 or an MKV? If this is an MP4 you might try repackage as MKV and see how far it gets.

It is an MKV file.

zebo51
1 hour ago, Luke said:

So when you remove the limit you're saying you still get an error, right?

Yes. In the OP image I had global set to 3 streams my limit set to unlimited.  After changing the global limit to 10 I now just get the red alert error. 

I tried another 4 hour movie LOTR return of the king and it does the same thing.

The below thread seems like what I'm also seeing.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

So when you remove the limit you're saying you still get an error, right?

Yes, but a different one.  He was exceeding the limit due to rapid failure fallback in the app (something we need to correct).  Then, without the limit, it just completely fails after retrying several times.

• 8 months later...

Just wondering if there was ever a solution to this?  My Roku is on the latest ver of 10.50 b 4208-50.  Just tried to play LOTR which is over 4 hrs and get the same error.

Thanks

16 hours ago, zebo51 said:

Just wondering if there was ever a solution to this?  My Roku is on the latest ver of 10.50 b 4208-50.  Just tried to play LOTR which is over 4 hrs and get the same error.

Thanks

Hi.  I believe it is still an issue with very long items that need to be remuxed or transcoded.

@zebo51 since it has been several months, can we please look at a new example using the latest version of the server?

Thanks.