Intel Gen 11 Iris Xe Enc/Dec Performance ?

rbjtech

rbjtech

This is probably a bit early to post but has anybody used the new Intel Gen 11 Iris Xe graphics for transcoding in Emby ?

I've looked online - and while it says there is a big hike in the number of pipelines vs the HD630, I can't find any performance metrics.

I'm waiting to take the plunge on a new server - and am having the AMD Ryzen 5600X vs Intel 11600 conundrum.

If I could buy even a low end Nvidia GPU (+the AMD), the answer would probably be a bit easier - but if the Iris Xe can perform well (plus it has AV1 decode) - then I may opt for the Intel instead.

This is an upgrade for an i5 Gen1 (lol), so anything I get is going to be a massive improvement, but the 11400/500/600 does seem good value - especially vs an AMD/Nvidia combination.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks.

rbjtech
13 hours ago, jaycedk said:

Thanks.  The Tiger Lake is very different from Rocket Lake - for some reason the Tiger Lake has 96 CU's on it's iGPU, but the Rocket Lake only has 32 CU's.

The 11400 seems very good value and if as Intel say, it's iGPU performance is 50% better than the old HD630 - then I may go for it - I'll wait a few more weeks to see if anybody has done any direct h264/h265 enc/dec comparisons using the iGPU.

• 4 weeks later...

Curious, have you moved forward on this at all?

I'm kinda wanting to know the same info. :)

• 3 weeks later...
rbjtech

I was on the verge of 'going for it' but In the UK we still seem to be having supply issues with Motherboards, the Gen 11 CPU's supply seems to be ok, but I can't currently get the mobo I wanted.

I'm probably going to wait for Alder-Lake now (end 2021) - as I like the idea of the CPU being very low power when idle - plus the next gen socket is supposed to be good for a few generations...

New toys are always nice - but I don't want to buy into a dead end product. 

My i5 750 is going to have to last a few more months - it's been on 24x7 for the last ~11 years so I think I've had my monies worth out of it .. haha 🤣

Edited by rbjtech