Fellow Ubiquity users, take notice

mastrmind11

• 3 weeks later...
mediacowboy

And this is why I perfer to self host as much as I can. Thanks for the link.

BAlGaInTl

I run Unifi APs and and a USG.

I was thinking of upgrading to a UDM Pro, and and now I'm having second thoughts.

Is this just a blip, or something to be more concerned about?

Spaceboy

as long as you don't use unifi's cloud service (and who in their right mind would use any provider's cloud service of anything for this very reason) there is nothing to be concerned about.

everything online can and will get hacked. the only thing you can do it hope that the service that is hacked fronts up about it fully and quickly

• Agree 1

BAlGaInTl
9 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

as long as you don't use unifi's cloud service (and who in their right mind would use any provider's cloud service of anything for this very reason) there is nothing to be concerned about.

everything online can and will get hacked. the only thing you can do it hope that the service that is hacked fronts up about it fully and quickly

Isn't Ubiquiti pushing to make everyone use that?  I'm pretty sure I had mine tied in even though I don't use it.  Is tehre a way to back out of that?

Spaceboy
4 minutes ago, BAlGaInTl said:

Isn't Ubiquiti pushing to make everyone use that?  I'm pretty sure I had mine tied in even though I don't use it.  Is tehre a way to back out of that?

i've never signed up for it. its so you can access your unifi config away from home. if that is really important to you just set up a vpn

BAlGaInTl
7 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

i've never signed up for it. its so you can access your unifi config away from home. if that is really important to you just set up a vpn

I have a VPN setup and use that primarily.  

I did create a cloud account to test it out, but I've not actively used it.

Of course I've changed all my passwords, and have 2-factor enabled.

I'm inclined to just severe that connection though.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

i would. if you have a VPN its not needed. I'm sure there's some security rule that says don't have things enabled that you don't need :) 

rbjtech

The issue was with the new UDM and UDM Pro kit you HAVE to have a cloud account.  There has been much kickback on this but Ubiquiti did not change it - I think they may change their minds on this now ... 

I did purchase a UDM Pro when they were first released, but sent it back for a few reasons but one was I did not want my local network credentials in their cloud... 

BAlGaInTl
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

The issue was with the new UDM and UDM Pro kit you HAVE to have a cloud account.  There has been much kickback on this but Ubiquiti did not change it - I think they may change their minds on this now ... 

I did purchase a UDM Pro when they were first released, but sent it back for a few reasons but one was I did not want my local network credentials in their cloud... 

I thought I had heard something like that.  Disappointing.

I'm not sure what my options are.  Guess I'll just hold out with the USG for now.

rbjtech
7 hours ago, BAlGaInTl said:

I thought I had heard something like that.  Disappointing.

I'm not sure what my options are.  Guess I'll just hold out with the USG for now.

As long as you have changed your ubiquiti password, re-enabled 2FA and disabled any form of remote admin (or use your own VPN) - then you are safe.  The core issue, as has been discussed many times for emby/plex, is what happens when the cloud provider is 'offline' - does that mean that you could not login to your own home network equipment ? 

Edited by rbjtech

BAlGaInTl
3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

As long as you have changed your ubiquiti password, re-enabled 2FA and disabled any form of remote admin (or use your own VPN) - then you are safe.  The core issue, as has been discussed many times for emby/plex, is what happens when the cloud provider is 'offline' - does that mean that you could not login to your own home network equipment ? 

I did all that last night.

I was reading a bit about the UDM Pro and found mixed information on whether or not you can really use it without the cloud account. Regardless, you still have to have the cloud account for the initial setup.

• Like 1