Next Episode

claytonb

claytonb

I'm using a AppleTV 4 and was wondering if after watching a episode it would advance to the next episode waiting for me to press play?

In the attachment I need to scroll down to More from Season 10 and select Episode 10 manually or hit the back button on the remote to play next episode from Next Up

Why would there be a Play option on something that has just been played, just needs some fine tuning!!!

Cheers

Clayton

IMG_1202.JPG

Edited by claytonb

BillOatman

I don't have Apple TV, but on my Android TV boxes at the end of an episode if puts up 2 buttons at the bottom of the screen, one to go to the next episode now and one to stop. If you touch nothing I believe it goes to the next episode when the file finishes playing (not positive because I pretty much always hit one of the buttons :) ).

I suspect this thread belongs in the Apple TV section and not this one.

Edited by BillOatman

Hi.  You can turn on the auto queue of subsequent episodes and it will play them back to back.  Right now, the app returns to where you came from if you only play a single item.

claytonb

I have already done this, but I don't want them playing automatically.

I assume playing automatically queues up the episodes? can this not be done for a manual operation?

Play a single episode and it will auto-queue subsequent episodes.

Present behavior: Ask at end of episode "Play Next" or "Stop" .. assume to play next if no input

You want behavior: Ask at end of episode "Play Next" or "Stop" .. assume to stop if no input

Is this correct?

Edited by speechles

claytonb

"You want behavior: Ask at end of episode "Play Next" or "Stop" .. assume to stop if no input"

I will assume to "Stop" and not "Play Next" if no input at end of episode!! and this works fine so why at this point don't I see the app advanced to the next episode where I can "Play Next" when I am ready to?

If I clicked on the "Series" icon it shows "Play Next Up" which is what I want to do but no information shows about current episode etc

Plex does it fine

Edited by claytonb

vdatanet

I like the behavior of Netflix. When episode auto-queuing is disabled, at the end of the episode a dialog is shown asking if we want to play the next episode.

But this has nothing to do with Apple TV, this behavior should be a global feature request for all Emby apps.

claytonb

Yes, so do I.

I think Netflix is similar to Plex, the first image I posted is the behavior of Emby and this image is the behavior of Plex, it shows as S10 E09 Just Played then S10 E10 Up Next with the episode information and play icon.

If I get sick of binge watching Smallville, I can go down to On Deck and continue with an episode from another show.

Don't you think that this is a much better option that there is now with Emby? just from a user preference point of view!! 

IMG_1204.jpg

Edited by claytonb
  • Like 1

You are comparing pre-play and post-play screens. Emby technically has no post-play except for the "Up Next: Coming up with countdown" where you know what is next and can choose to "Play Now" or "Stop". But this works for episodic and playlist playback only.

For pre-play it would not make sense to suggest you watch something unrelated. But for the post-play (such as the screen shown above my post) then that idea is intuitive. At any point after an episode plays it is assumed you will binge watch. That is why the top row only has Smallville in your example. That bottom row has "everything else" in your Continue Watching. I like that idea. If the assumption is wrong you move to the bottom row and continue watching anything else.

Edited by speechles

Hi.  You'll get that same behavior from us if you play from the "Next Up" row on your home screen.  When finished, the next episode will be right there in Next Up.

@ebr Yep and in that context it will offer much more than a simple post-play like the competition is doing.

You have actors with the cast&crew in case you really fall in love with the way some person portrays characters (either writing, directing, or acting) you can immediately see what other content you have that contains them. They guest star in other series that you might like. Find new content (that you enjoy which is the important part) with less button presses. I like how Emby has never needed post-play because you just wind up on an updated detail screen with focus on the next episode. You just press play the same without the need for post-play.

Edited by speechles

claytonb

Hmm, I'll have a play around, by the sounds of it I am starting to watch the start of the show from the wrong place?

vdatanet
43 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  You'll get that same behavior from us if you play from the "Next Up" row on your home screen.  When finished, the next episode will be right there in Next Up.

Yes, when you return to the home screen you can do that.

I'm not sure I have to test when I will get home. Using Android TV app, after episode play, detail screen is updated and if you play "Next Up" you play the next episode, but using Apple TV app, I think you play the same episode because detail screen is not updated, but I have to test. So, it would be nice to refresh detail screen after episode playback.